ATTENTION LAS VEGAS, NV RESIDENCE and/or GUN OWNERS [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION LAS VEGAS, NV RESIDENCE and/or GUN OWNERS

Mr King
07-27-2007, 00:22
If you live in Summerlin (NW) do you register your gun for a CCW in North Las Vegas or do you go Downtown to Clark County?

Basically, the question boils down to this: Can a resident of Summerlin (NW) carry if he drives I-95 South to I-15 South and then on to the Strip? And/or visa versa, or, are those two different jurisdictions?

osiruscyn
07-31-2007, 12:47
You register your gun at any metro substation, if you are in summerlin, the northwest area command on west cheyenne by the 215 is the nearest to you.

IF you want to CCW then you have to take the class, qualify, and then wait forever to get the ccw from metro.

CowboyKen
08-01-2007, 12:54
osiruscyn,

Just FYI, it took me just 34 days to get my permit earlier this year.

Ken

osiruscyn
08-02-2007, 10:54
that is very good to hear. Sounds like they may have finally got their stuff together.

Sm0key369
08-02-2007, 10:57
When I recieved mine it was about 60-70 days. At the time it was much better than everyone else's 180 days.

strokedf350
08-09-2007, 15:15
I also got mine in about 35 days from metro.

John's 26
08-15-2007, 11:32
Summerlin is not a town per se, it is part of unincorporated Clark County, so it falls under the jurisdiction of Las Vegas Metro (as opposed to NLV PD). Just like Green Valley is part of Henderson (Henderson PD). All three PD's (actually 4 PD's if you include Boulder City PD) fall under the umbrella of the Clark County Sheriff. Having said that, each city has their own "non-permit holder" carry laws. NLV and Boulder City have more restrictive ordinances that were grandfathered in several years ago.

The problem you face, is that in order to get from Summerlin to the Strip, you'll have to pass through NLV, and their ordinances apply. As an alternative, you could take the 215 south all the way around, and not go through NLV, but it is out of your way. Or get a CCW, and that (sort of) pre-empts NLV (and Boulder City) carry ordinances. I renewed mine last fall, and got the permit in only a few weeks. Don't know what the timeline for initial permits is though.

As a side note, if you can hold out till after the first of October, new rules for CCW take effect. Nothing drastic and really only matters if you carry a revolver. In a nut shell, your permit will state Revolver (and you can carry any revolver), Semi-'s (you'll have to qualify with each, and they will be listed by model and caliber on your permit) or both.

glockaddict
08-19-2007, 07:50
Hey Guys,

I thought Metro only issues Concealed Firearms Permits (CFP) and not CCW?

osiruscyn
08-19-2007, 15:34
it is only a CFP but they call it a CCW.

osiruscyn
08-19-2007, 15:39
Originally posted by John's 26
Summerlin is not a town per se, it is part of unincorporated Clark County, so it falls under the jurisdiction of Las Vegas Metro (as opposed to NLV PD). Just like Green Valley is part of Henderson (Henderson PD). All three PD's (actually 4 PD's if you include Boulder City PD) fall under the umbrella of the Clark County Sheriff. Having said that, each city has their own "non-permit holder" carry laws. NLV and Boulder City have more restrictive ordinances that were grandfathered in several years ago.

The problem you face, is that in order to get from Summerlin to the Strip, you'll have to pass through NLV, and their ordinances apply. As an alternative, you could take the 215 south all the way around, and not go through NLV, but it is out of your way. Or get a CCW, and that (sort of) pre-empts NLV (and Boulder City) carry ordinances. I renewed mine last fall, and got the permit in only a few weeks. Don't know what the timeline for initial permits is though.

As a side note, if you can hold out till after the first of October, new rules for CCW take effect. Nothing drastic and really only matters if you carry a revolver. In a nut shell, your permit will state Revolver (and you can carry any revolver), Semi-'s (you'll have to qualify with each, and they will be listed by model and caliber on your permit) or both.

actually if you take the 95 to the i-15, you will be fine. None of that is North las Vegas. North las Vegas starts at the corner of Owens and Main St. and goes out to the north and northeast from there.

As an aside, Henderson PD has their own police chief. They are their own seperate PD. Same with NLV. Yet, they can't issue permits because they are not Sheriffs. They don't fall under the command of the LVMPD Sheriff. Only the sheriff in each county can issue permits.

glockaddict
08-19-2007, 20:28
Originally posted by osiruscyn
actually if you take the 95 to the i-15, you will be fine. None of that is North las Vegas. North las Vegas starts at the corner of Owens and Main St. and goes out to the north and northeast from there.

As an aside, Henderson PD has their own police chief. They are their own seperate PD. Same with NLV. Yet, they can't issue permits because they are not Sheriffs. They don't fall under the command of the LVMPD Sheriff. Only the sheriff in each county can issue permits.
I was wondering: since NLV, Henderson, and BC are in Clark County, does that mean that we can carry in those areas if we have a Metro CFP? I am assuming that the county concealed carry ordinances supersedes those jurisdictions within its boundaries?

osiruscyn
08-19-2007, 23:48
a ccw issued in nevada is good for all areas in nevada, not just the jurisdiction it was issued in. So yes, your ccw issued by LVMPD (the only issuing agency in Clark County) is valid in north las vegas, henderson, and boulder city. However, you must adhere to their travel laws when in your car and of course the NRS restrictions on where you can and cannot carry.

Mr King
08-28-2007, 01:26
Thanks for all the Great info!!! It is much appreciated!!!

Now, I have to ask about the CFP (i think its called) Test. My friend is going to take this soon, is there a pretest or anything for this? Can you tell me what it covers? He's a little apprehensive about taking a written exam on something he isnt sure about.

Thanks Again!:)

osiruscyn
08-28-2007, 10:53
there's nothing really to prepare for. Take the class and pay attention. The test is usually open book to ensure that you know the proper answer. The only other test, if you want to call it a test, is the qualification with the firearm. State minimum is at 3, 5, 7 yds.

Blitzer
08-28-2007, 12:55
Originally posted by John's 26

Sorry to hear of the Communist takeover! :shocked: :sad: