Want to try Mac computor, Need Help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Want to try Mac computor, Need Help

wingman
07-27-2007, 23:24
Have 6mo old Dell 3HzP4, 2.5GB Ram, 200GB HD. PC works well and Vista is stable and faster than XP. Nothing more I want to upgrade on it. Ready to move to Mac. Please help me decide which model to get. Mac Mini, IMac ? Just surf the web, email, pay bills. Ready to "play" with something new!

Washington,D.C.
07-28-2007, 07:37
It depends how much you want to spemd. The Mac Mini has a Core Duo and the Imac has the much faster Core 2 Duo. These are both laptop processors but that's not really a bad thing. The Mini and the cheapest Imac have Intel graphics. The 2.0 Ghz Imac has ATI graphics and I think that's a desktop video card. The Mini takes 2 GB of memory but it's a very expensive one piece and doesn't run in dual channel mode. The Imac takes up to 3 GB of memory and with two equal piece can run in dual channel and two 1 GB pieces are much cheaper than one 2 GB piece for the Mini. The standard Imac memory is already double what comes in Mini.

Washington,D.C.
07-28-2007, 07:47
If you go with a Mac Mini the cheaper of the two is the better deal but the 2.0 Ghz Imac would be more powerful. The Mac Mini doesn't include a keyboard, mouse or monitor.

nickg
07-31-2007, 09:12
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
The Mac Mini doesn't include a keyboard, mouse or monitor.

but does it include an OS, processor, ram, hard drive, apps, video, audio.....?

:animlol: :supergrin:

T. Harless
07-31-2007, 14:30
Just drop the cash and get a Mac Book Pro. Awesome laptop and at home runs closed driving a 30" Cinema Display with the wireless keyboard and mouse. Best of both worlds.

wingman
08-01-2007, 13:55
Thank you for your replies. I am typing this on my new imac 24". It sure is a delux and good looking piece of equiptment. The OS is really cool and seems so far to be pretty easy to operate but it is a case of "the same but different" from Windows, it will take some time getting used to. Very neat DVD movie program with its' little remote. Makes movie watching a real pleasure. So far I am a very happy camper! Now, for some more RAM. Has 2-512 sticks so they will be useless when upgrading. Won't system be "unbalanced" with a 2GHz in one slot and a 1GHz in the other? Better to just go with 2GHz? Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Washington,D.C.
08-01-2007, 16:23
Sounds like the 2GB set would be best.

T. Harless
08-01-2007, 16:42
Originally posted by wingman
.......Won't system be "unbalanced" with a 2GHz in one slot and a 1GHz in the other? Better to just go with 2GHz? Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

That's always been my understanding but they offer the 24" with 3GB and though I don't see it listed now, when I bought my Macbook Pro, 3 GB was an option. Rams like ammo...there ain't no too much.

In any case, a 24" iMac is a beautiful thing. THE OS and a stunning display. Good job.

Washington,D.C.
08-01-2007, 18:21
It will "handle" 3GB of memory but it won't be running in dual channel mode.

Deanster
08-01-2007, 18:33
The 'conventional wisdom' for all dual-channel computers is that the advantage of running in dual-channel mode (matched RAM) is less than the advantage of having more RAM.

Thus, if you actually need 3GB for what you're doing, you're better off having 3GB than sticking to 2GB just for the dual-channel speed-up, which is pretty small.

However, if you aren't actually using that last Gig of RAM, and can do what you're doing in 2GB comfortably, then having matched RAM is better.

I look at the Dual-channel capability as a minor bonus when things work out that way, but don't ever go out of my way to achieve it.