Keeping cilantro fresh [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Keeping cilantro fresh

The Pontificator
07-28-2007, 16:21
To me, cilantro is always an enigma. I can't grow it for squat. It always bolts even the non-bolting variety.

If I buy a bunch at the store, I use a smidgen to make a batch of salsa and then storing it in the bag I bought it in, it's slimy and rotten by the time I'm ready to use some more.

I've solved the problem:

Rinse bunch in cold water and shake off most of the excess moisture.

Loosely roll up the bunch in 2 paper towels, then looseley roll up the paper-wrapped cilantro in the plastic bag from the store. At 10 days it's still in great shape!

No doubt works with Italian flat-leaf parsley as well.

JohniusMaximus
07-28-2007, 17:45
Nice. I've been storing stuff like that in those airtight vacuum sealer containers. They work but take up some space. I'll give it a shot.

noway
08-01-2007, 18:52
I might have to try that ;)

i buy big bunch and like you by day 4 it's black. So whatever I buy I use it on everything, meats,rice,eggs,etc......

keeping cilantro is a challenge.

Cali-Glock
08-07-2007, 08:17
I buy cilantro every time I go to the store. My wife will say "but I just purchased some" - yeah - well good I am buying more!

Ponti's advice is good. I also found that by chopping up all my cilantro, and placing the amount I don't use into a baggie, that keeps fairly well also, though I would rather wait to chop it until just before I cook with it. Freezing it also works, though I will only use the frozen cilantro in cooked foods, not in fresh salsa. We also started making extra salsa and freezing a bunch; the frozen salsa is great in Mexican casseroles, or on pizza.

Cali's Mexican Pizza:

14" pizza stone
four 14" tortillas - use an egg base to "glue" them together
1/2 can of tomato paste mixed with a couple tablespoons of pureed canned chipotle. (I puree a can and then place it in a plastic baggie, and then freeze, and I break off what I need for cooking)
a bunch of cheese
a pound of cooked Italian sausage (or your favorite meat)
a bunch of salsa
more cheese
Bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees!

WONDERFUL!

K.C. Dia
08-15-2007, 14:23
The latest issue of Cooks Illustrated suggests soaking the roots in cold (not warm or tepid) water for ten minutes, then wrapping in paper towles. However, I store cilantro by putting it in a small wide mouth jar in the fridge with about an inch of water. I then wrap it up with a plastic bag and secure it with a rubber band. I can keep cilantro for 7 to 10 days this way. At the end, you may have to wash off a few black leaves, but it is still fairly good. After about 10 days, it's time to throw it out and buy more.

spero525
08-17-2007, 13:29
This is very good information.

I've been doing battle with keeping cilantro fresh for the longest time...now I might finally gain the upper hand!

tavo
08-18-2007, 05:44