Gun shows with private sellers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun shows with private sellers?

Lawmay
07-29-2007, 02:37
Hey, 1st time posting on the Michigan forums, have browsed a few topics and find it funny seeing a few of them mention the Gibraltar trade center gun shows, I've probably seen a few of you there before heh.

I'm looking to purchase my first handgun in the near future, the problem being I'm 18 years old and cannot purchase from FFL dealers, so the gun show(s) at Gibraltar are right out as they only allow FFL dealers to set up tables

Does anyone know of any gun shows ANYWHERE in Michigan (preferably near SE Michigan) that allow people that aren't FFL dealers to sell?

JellyBelly
07-29-2007, 02:54
If you're just selling your own private collection you could just rent a table for the weekend. I wouldn't try it if you're only selling five or six guns. If you have twenty or thirty it'd be worth the cost of a table.

Beware the lowballers who'll tell you your guns aren't worth anything. Have a price in mind for each gun that's your lowest and don't let people badger you into dropping your price below it.

I always come back with "Well that's what this gun goes for on Gunbroker. Take it or leave it."

Lawmay
07-29-2007, 03:16
Oh, I'm not looking to sell, I only own 2 fire arms as of right now (not counting airsoft heh) and am perfectly happy with them (Romanian AK47 clone and a Yugo SKS).

I was just wondering if anyone could direct me to any gun shows where private sellers are allowed to rent tables,

The only gun show I know of is the one at the two Gibraltar Trade Centers and they only allow FFL dealers. (which is no dice for me since I'm only 18)

Thanks for the advice though, I'll keep that in mind when my collection gets too big, turned 18 exactly a month ago and already 2 rifles, so... my collection is probably gonna keep growing quite a bit :)

bassplayer
07-29-2007, 03:40
Originally posted by Lawmay
Oh, I'm not looking to sell, I only own 2 fire arms as of right now (not counting airsoft heh) and am perfectly happy with them (Romanian AK47 clone and a Yugo SKS).

I was just wondering if anyone could direct me to any gun shows where private sellers are allowed to rent tables,

The only gun show I know of is the one at the two Gibraltar Trade Centers and they only allow FFL dealers. (which is no dice for me since I'm only 18)

Thanks for the advice though, I'll keep that in mind when my collection gets too big, turned 18 exactly a month ago and already 2 rifles, so... my collection is probably gonna keep growing quite a bit :)

If you buy a pistol, you won't be able to buy ammo for it until you turn 21.

Lawmay
07-29-2007, 03:58
it's only illegal to buy the ammo right? Not to own it? If so I'll just have my dad buy it for me.

wizzi01
07-29-2007, 07:44
Yeah you can purchase from a private seller at 18.

MakeMineaP99
07-29-2007, 09:43
it's only illegal to buy the ammo right? Not to own it? If so I'll just have my dad buy it for me.

Same restrictions apply to ammo as pistols. You can buy ammo from a private seller at 18 or have a parent buy ammo from a licensed dealer for you.

To aquire a pistol you can either:

1. Have a parent purchase from a licensed dealer and then gift the pistol to you.

2. Purchase from a private seller. I would look on the GT ads, several pistols seem to come up for sale in MI.

Lawmay
07-29-2007, 19:29
appreciate all the advice/help, but does anyone have any info pertaining to my original question?

MakeMineaP99
07-29-2007, 22:06
appreciate all the advice/help, but does anyone have any info pertaining to my original question?

Don't know of any off hand, your best bet is probably going to be one of the forums, GT, ARFCOM, Sigforum, etc. for a FTF.

What make/model and caliber are you looking for?

Lawmay
07-30-2007, 00:07
I was leaning towards either a Sig p226, Glock 17, or a Beretta 92, Basically looking to get a full size auto chambered for 9mm, I'm fine either way with any of them, though... 9mm mainly for plinking purposes and because it matches the Walther p-38 my grandpa is giving me.

Tallbear
07-30-2007, 12:54
There's a flea mrkt. at Middlebelt and Pennsyvania Rd. that has a good following of gun buyers. I believe it's call "Green Lawn".

Lawmay
07-30-2007, 13:49
hmmm just threw the address into Mapquest 48 minute drive, would probably be worth me going down there and checking it out, I got a friend who moved to Romulus a while back anyways heh.

MakeMineaP99
07-31-2007, 12:58
There's a G17 in the classified mega thread.

10 Ring Tao
07-31-2007, 22:15
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=734522

I think what people are trying to tell you, is that gunshows aren't worth going to anyway. Your best bet is to find a local deal online.

You can search by state on:

gunbroker.com

arfcom- http://ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=39

Michigan classified ads on arfcom: http://www.ar15.com/forums/searchByState.html?b=0&state=MI

gunsamerica.com

and of course the megathread here.

MakeMineaP99
08-01-2007, 12:43
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao
I think what people are trying to tell you, is that gunshows aren't worth going to anyway. Your best bet is to find a local deal online.

+1. I don't even bother with shows (both in IN and MI). You used to be able find good deals on ammo and reloading supplies but not anymore.