DD14 to apply for CCW? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DD14 to apply for CCW?

xxiv
07-29-2007, 16:19
I was told recently that instead of taking the class for CCW that I could use my DD214 to directly apply. Has anybody done this in NC? I assume I'd still have to pay the 100 bucks or however much for the processing.

I guess it's time to take my 214 over to the Sheriffs and see.

BizkitShooter
07-29-2007, 18:45
As far as I know, you will need to take the class, DD-214 or not. Most of the class is about NC State laws, so nothing in the military would prep you for that. Best of luck to you!

NC Bullseye
07-29-2007, 23:42
Biz is right on. Your DD214 won't do it. You need to take the state approved course. What part of the state are you located in?

Singlemalt
07-30-2007, 06:56
Assuming he is in Virginia as his location indicates then he is correct.

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

You guys are correct on NC law.

xxiv
07-30-2007, 08:18
I split a lot of my time between northern VA and the Asheville area of NC, but as of now my driving license is for NC so figured I may aswell go for it here assuming I could get away with the 214.

Oh, I went through the CCW/armed security class awhile ago in NC, I just never got issued the card needed as proof of education before quitting the job...another reason I would have liked a NC carry.

NC Bullseye
07-31-2007, 00:06
Originally posted by xxiv
I split a lot of my time between northern VA and the Asheville area of NC, but as of now my driving license is for NC so figured I may aswell go for it here assuming I could get away with the 214.

Oh, I went through the CCW/armed security class awhile ago in NC, I just never got issued the card needed as proof of education before quitting the job...another reason I would have liked a NC carry.

Well, if you decide to get a NC CHP, let me know, I can help you out with the state required course if you want to come over to the Hickory / Taylorsville area. I'm not sure what class you're talking about with the CCW/armed security but that doesn't sound like the course you need. You would have received a state issued certificate to take to your local sheriff. You have to prove residence here for at least the 30 days prior to applying for your CHP. Good luck!

southernshooter
08-01-2007, 14:10
Maybe it won't work for a ccw permit but mine sure got me a quick, no hassle, no down payment home loan a few years back. Sorry, I'm a hijackin sommich.

8W56
08-14-2007, 12:28
As far as I know the only thing that a will allow you to get past the 8hr class on CCW is being a sworn LEO. A sheriff can choose to issue a permit to a sworn officer and not require the class. This is the only exception that I know of and is usually for officers who work for a department that does not allow off duty carry per their policy. My department allows it so I carry based on that.

uz2bUSMC
08-18-2007, 03:02
How long is the CCW course good for in N.C. before your time runs out to apply for permit?

NC Bullseye
08-18-2007, 22:03
Originally posted by uz2busmc
How long is the CCW course good for in N.C. before your time runs out to apply for permit?

There is no expiration date on the certificate, but the sheriff has the power to refuse it if he/she feels too long a period has passed since the course. Most don't give you any guff even up to 2 or 3 years plus.

uz2bUSMC
08-19-2007, 12:14
Originally posted by NC Bullseye
There is no expiration date on the certificate, but the sheriff has the power to refuse it if he/she feels too long a period has passed since the course. Most don't give you any guff even up to 2 or 3 years plus.

That's good to know. Hopefully there is something that I can do since it actually has been a good bit more than three years since I completed the course. Preciate the info bro.

NC Bullseye
08-19-2007, 22:03
Originally posted by uz2busmc
That's good to know. Hopefully there is something that I can do since it actually has been a good bit more than three years since I completed the course. Preciate the info bro.

Good luck!

If it's been more than three years you may want to at least get a copy of the new student handbook. There have been changes and they just released a new one late 2006. Let us know what the sheriff says.

spober
09-13-2007, 20:38
wow virginia sounds good .i like the process for concelled carry.some states nc inc. i feel your more resricted with a permit to carry.not to meantion all the personal info your giving up.:wavey: