OT: Water Crisis [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OT: Water Crisis

Poodle
07-29-2007, 16:54
There's a impending (ongoing?) water crisis right now at least in the Luzon area. There are no rains. It seems that the Hanging Habagat (somewhere in the jet stream) has been delayed and it is necessary component for the production of typhoons. Global warming?

chowchow
07-29-2007, 17:24
It supposed to be wet season this time back home. Global warming trend for sure. All climates in different parts have shown abnormal signs. Even California is having frequent wild fires from too much heat and no rain.

Benj
07-29-2007, 18:38
They are saying that the dams are at critical level now, then when the rainy season really starts they will say that they need to release water because there is a danger of overflowing (releasing water causes widescale flooding). Lagi nalang ganun nangyayari, pretty stupid if you ask me.

New_comer
07-29-2007, 19:01
May typhoon sa Pacific ngayun, pero di naman mag beach-hopping dito.

Sana ma-enhance yung monsoon para umulan na ulit... :drink:

http://agora.ex.nii.ac.jp/digital-typhoon/region/pacific/1/images/640x480/latest.jpg

isuzu
07-29-2007, 21:55
We have to treat global warming seriously. This is the hottest summer I've experienced since moving here in 2004. Lots of records broken and I'm now longing for rain just to cool us down. The average temperature is 30 Celsius, but with the humidex factored in, it sometimes feels like 40 Celsius.

There was a person in Bacolod who was ridiculed when he said about 10 years ago that bottled drinking water will be more expensive than gasoline in the long run.

That could be possible if the trend continues.

charlie-xray
07-30-2007, 00:21
Gents, believe you me not just in RP do we have this climate shift.

For us here in Saudi Arabia yeah it's a norm to be hot say ranging from 40-45 centigrade in the middle of the day and 40-39 even in the evening time but nowadays it's 49-52 or even 54 in midday and 43-45 in the evening time (which is 9-12pm imagine we have daylight here till 7pm in the evening.

I think we're doomed. Our ozone's damage is irreversible the last I read.

3kings
07-30-2007, 03:47
geez, i heard in the news that they will be rationing water supply in manila.

so do you share too. start drinking cold beer instead of purified water.:thumbsup:

charlie-xray
07-30-2007, 04:28
And to conserve water more, ayahin na si kumare na magsabay-sabay ng maligo for water conservation measures.

chowchow
07-30-2007, 08:42
More people in this world. Water and (maybe food) resources will be the next big thing countries will fight each other for.

New_comer
07-30-2007, 18:01
Originally posted by chowchow
More people in this world. Water and (maybe food) resources will be the next big thing countries will fight each other for.

Parang Mad Max ni Mel Gibson... :supergrin:

New_comer
07-30-2007, 18:13
Originally posted by 3kings
geez, i heard in the news that they will be rationing water supply in manila.

so do you share too. start drinking cold beer instead of purified water.:thumbsup:

From the Lifestyle channel, it says that to make a liter of beer, the brewer would need to evaporate up to 8 liters of water.

Beermaking leaves a significant waste carbon footprint. Not good at all on the global warming issue... :shocked:

3kings
07-30-2007, 18:49
Originally posted by New_comer
From the Lifestyle channel, it says that to make a liter of beer, the brewer would need to evaporate up to 8 liters of water.

Beermaking leaves a significant waste carbon footprint. Not good at all on the global warming issue... :shocked:

wow, thanks for the info. have to change to carlos primero na lang. pricey but yummy.

chowchow
07-31-2007, 04:21
Its not far down the road na magkagrabe ang situation ng mundo. Sobrang abuso sa pollision.

antediluvianist
07-31-2007, 05:22
It's worse than you think. I am with a group doing a study on the future of water supply in metro manila. It's worse than you think.

chowchow
07-31-2007, 05:49
Saan ba ang main source ng tubig for Metro Manila? Isnt it every household has their own water well ? How about latest pop census of the Capital Region? I remember it was around 8 million back 17 yrs ago.

PMMA97
07-31-2007, 06:01
Sir Ante,

Please share your groups discussion so that Manila based BOGs could better prepare. My relatives are in nearby Cavite too.

We still have occasional rains during the afternoons and nights here in Zambales but Olongapo City and SBMA has been hit with a dry spell.

I just don't know if the former US Navy salt water treatment facility still works.

This water crisis is a big threat.

kristiansen
07-31-2007, 07:14
Originally posted by antediluvianist
It's worse than you think. I am with a group doing a study on the future of water supply in metro manila. It's worse than you think.

i read an article by neal cruz of inquirer about the untapped water in wawa dam.is this true?thanks!

CatsMeow
08-01-2007, 02:32
It's funny, but here in Cebu we get rain everyday. Right now there is a heavy downpour, of such a scale that if this happened in Manila, there would be extensive flooding (my car drowned there once).

Anyway this is a pleasant change, as before, Cebu was dry and Manila was wet.

horge
08-01-2007, 07:57
Originally posted by 3kings
start drinking cold beer instead of purified water.:thumbsup:

Bad idea. Alcohol acts like a diuretic,
leaving you in even greater need of water
since you have to pee more.
:)