Search Function, Equipment Problems, Paid Tier. -- Please Read [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Search Function, Equipment Problems, Paid Tier. -- Please Read

Pages : [1] 2

Eric
07-30-2007, 18:25
Many of you probably noticed the down time last night. The primary database server has been acting up for a while and suffered a more serious problem last night. I have transferred its duties to a backup server, that is newer, but not as powerful. As before, the problem occurred with the use of the most resource-intensive function of the site: The search function. The search index table is once again corrupted and it will take some time to rebuild it. Due to the amount of time it will take to re-index the search
system, I am not going to do so until I have upgraded GT to the newest forum of the vBulletin software that powers it, preparatory to the paid tier launch. I am hoping to have the software upgrade accomplished by this weekend. &nbsp;Until then, I will turn the search function back on, but it will only be indexing and searching recent messages. I apologize for the inconvenience.<br><br>The paid tier, the basic functions of it anyway, &nbsp;is almost ready to launch. It has been a n enormous amount of work to get
it this far. I am running out of time to make this happen though. The database problems, and other financial concerns, are not going to wait for the launch. What I would like to do is begin pre-selling paid memberships now, to start generating income so I can get things caught up. The site software upgrade will happen this week or weekend and once that occurs, the features and functions of the paid tier will begin going online. What I was thinking is that we would consider August a soft opening for the paid tier.
We have a grand opening for the system in September, with some drawing for some prizes. Anyone who buys a membership from this point on will be eligible for the drawings and the clock won't start ticking on anyone's membership until the basic tier is officially finished.<br><br>I have given the tier prices a lot of thought. What I have settled on is a three-tiered structure, priced at $40, $60 and $80 dollars a year. We will offer each tier membership for pre-sale at a reduced cost and as the new features come
online, you will have access to them based on the membership option you chose. Folks, I know a lot of you will not want to commit to this without seeing the finished product. Without seeing what you are buying. I am not trying to sell anyone a pig in a poke. I have committed ten years of my life to this site I want to see the site continue and I want to see this new tiered membership succeed. I will do everything in my power to satisfy everyone's expectations. I can't promise more than that. I already have some
great features ready to add to the new system and I am always finding more. Just today I found a system that will allow members to place keywords in a list and then any time someone posts a message that includes one or more of their keywords, they will receive an email about it. There will be some great stuff in the new system. I really hate proceeding this way, but I am behind the eight-ball. I give everyone who pre-buys a membership my word that the complete basic system will be up and running before the end
of August. Most of it will launch in the next couple of weeks. The bills and equipment problems simply will not wait that long though.<br><br>I am going to set up a new forum area dedicated to the paid membership tier system. This area will be a place for me to share information on the new features and functions as they come online and more importantly, it will be a place for you to share your thoughts on what features you would like to see. This new forum will form the core of a paid membership support and
community area. I've got a lot of ideas concerning the site's future and I want to start getting everyone's feedback. I will post a comprehensive list of the features you should expect in v1 of GT's paid membership tier. Any ideas we generate in the next month will go into a v 2 development pool.<br><br>I am excited about the upcoming upgrades and changes and I am looking forward to a time when GT has a consistent income stream to insure it future and fund future development. I will throwing a lot of changes
at
everyone in the coming month or two. Please understand that everyone will benefit from the changes, whether they choose to subscribe to the paid tier or not. I will try hard to minimize any downtime or disruption caused by the upgrades and changes. I will give you all warning if I foresee any significant disruption, before it occurs. The only real disruption I see in the immediate future is the vBulletin upgrade. This will require the site to be down while the old database is upgraded to the new structure and
it is a BIG database. This changeover will most likely take four to six hours. I will post more info about this soon.<br><br><b>For those of you that have not seen it printed elsewhere on the site, <font size="4" color="red">Basic membership on GT will always be free</font><font size="4">.</font> What we are discussing here is the addition of additional &nbsp;features which will be made available to members who decide to subscribe to the new paid membership
tiers.</b><br><br>For those that are uncomfortable prepaying for their membership before seeing the new system, I completely understand. I want everyone to be completely at ease with their decision to step up tp paid membership. There will be absolutely no hard feelings towards anyone who decides to wait. &nbsp;For those of you that will pay now for a cheeseburger next Tuesday, I want you to know how much I appreciate your support. I couldn't keep this place going without your support. Thanks again to everyone
who helps me every day,&nbsp;to make this site what is. Your participation makes this a place I still enjoy visiting after almost a decade.</p>
<p align="center"><b><font size="+2" color="red"><a href="http://shop.glocktalk.com/index.php/cPath/13" target="_blank">Click Here To Pre-Purchase A Membership</a></font></b>

Sidhe
07-30-2007, 18:57
Count me in Eric.

I'm on board. :wavey:

harleyfx69
07-30-2007, 19:02
so what do you get with a paid membership ?

Grayson
07-30-2007, 19:07
I'll happily pre-buy a Silver membership. Would go higher, but am crunched for $$$ at the moment. ;)

But I'm sure things will improve financially eventually - which begs the question:

If one buys a membership, then decides they'd like to 'upgrade,' will they be charged the complete cost of the new tier and get it for one year from the date of the purchase? Or, say, pay the price minus the cost of their original subscription but only have it through the date of the initial purchase?

kf4zra
07-30-2007, 19:08
i was kinda curious of that too

ARs&AKs
07-30-2007, 19:12
I'll sign up for a Gold membership this week.
Thanks for keeping this great board alive, Eric! :thumbsup:

Guns & Cockpits
07-30-2007, 19:12
Oh yea, I'm in. Next paycheck, I know I'll be able to afford at least the silver one. Anything to keep GT up and running. Thanks for all the hard work, Eric.

a1-equipment
07-30-2007, 19:15
Yes I would like to know what is the differance between free and the paid memberships??

Gokyo
07-30-2007, 19:16
Originally posted by WNC_Ghostbuster

If one buys a membership, then decides they'd like to 'upgrade,' will they be charged the complete cost of the new tier and get it for one year from the date of the purchase? Or, say, pay the price minus the cost of their original subscription but only have it through the date of the initial purchase?

I am up for it too but I would like this question answered too. I am also in a little bit of money crunch at the moment.

Eric
07-30-2007, 19:17
Originally posted by harleyfx69
so what do you get with a paid membership ?

I covered this a bit in another thread. Here is a link: http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=685612&perpage=25&highlight=&pagenumber=3

I'll post more comprehensive and up-to-date info on the features by the end of the week. Eric

JimBianchi
07-30-2007, 19:20
Eric, GT is the #1 site I visit everyday.

It's well done, excellent info and people.

Even the TROLLS are fun!

Platinum Membership submitted.

chongfa
07-30-2007, 19:22
I will pony up the cash after the next paycheck. This is my number one most visited site. I have learned so much from everybody here. I will be more than glad to help out the best that I can. :hearts: :hugs:

BigBoostDSM
07-30-2007, 19:26
Will you guys finally be upgrading the VB version with the extra revenue that the paid subscriptions will bring? VB is already out with 3.6.1 and this forum is still running 2.3, there are a lot of great upgrades with the newer version.

Lee-online
07-30-2007, 19:30
what tier will allow me to edit other peoples posts or even ban members.:supergrin:

RussP
07-30-2007, 19:31
I'm in...:wavey:

Eric
07-30-2007, 19:33
Originally posted by Lee-online
what tier will allow me to edit other peoples posts or even ban members.:supergrin:

That is the tier where you buy me a new house and car and keep me in the lifestyle I would like to become accustomed to.:supergrin: Eric

epsylum
07-30-2007, 19:35
Originally posted by chongfa
I will pony up the cash after the next paycheck. This is my number one most visited site. I have learned so much from everybody here. I will be more than glad to help out the best that I can. :hearts: :hugs:

+1

Cclass
07-30-2007, 19:38
Looks like this is off to a fast start. I'm glad to do my part. :wavey:

Berto
07-30-2007, 19:40
Tagged...

I love cheeseburgers.:supergrin:

Dalton Wayne
07-30-2007, 19:41
Money order going out Friday for the platinum tier order is in the books
Thanks Eric
DW

harleyfx69
07-30-2007, 19:42
thx eric for getting back ,

I am a broke college student right now , ill see what i can do as a little support in a month or so ..

but it prolly wont be a full membership , but if the site is hurting for money i can give a little :hugs:

Glockdude1
07-30-2007, 19:44
Count me in......

:thumbsup:

andy4731
07-30-2007, 19:45
I'm in! :thumbsup:

Eric
07-30-2007, 19:46
Originally posted by harleyfx69
thx eric for getting back ,

I am a broke college student right now , ill see what i can do as a little support in a month or so ..

but it prolly wont be a full membership , but if the site is hurting for money i can give a little :hugs:

I am also working on a system where a portion of the proceeds will be set aside to match funds with anyone who cares to participate, to provide paid memberships for stand-out members here who may need a leg-up. I'm, not sure how that will work yet, but I will post more info as soon as I figure it out. Eric

bno762
07-30-2007, 19:53
I'm in. Probly next week. So I guess I'll be in next week.:supergrin:

gunsite
07-30-2007, 20:00
LET'S ROLL

mike253
07-30-2007, 20:01
Just completed my transaction for a Platinum membership.. am I atleast in the top 10 regular users to go Platinum? :)

Letner
07-30-2007, 20:17
done. Went for the gold till I see what this is all about

Jake-Gallows
07-30-2007, 20:20
Im game!

DannyR
07-30-2007, 20:24
I took early retirement in April and am learning to live on $1,375.00 per month, so I don't think I can help out.

elderboy02
07-30-2007, 20:24
I am a silver member :banana: :banana:

1999Cobra
07-30-2007, 20:28
I just paid you for a Platinum membership - It was my pleasure ... I'm excited about the changes -

Best of luck with this ...:thumbsup:

David9966
07-30-2007, 20:29
Count me in, as soon as I get paid the day after tomorrow. I'll take the $80 package. I really don't care whats included. The knowledge I get here on this site saves me big bucks at the gun shop. So I figure that supporting this site financially actually pays for itself. I like the idea of winning prizes in a drawing. Keep up the great work and best wishes to the new paid tiers. Dave:thumbsup:

Jerseycitysteve
07-30-2007, 20:29
I'm in for the Silver.:)

lcarreau
07-30-2007, 20:35
Proud platinum member. :thumbsup:

watsoncb
07-30-2007, 20:38
I am in for Platinum! If there is anything else we can do let us know. :cheers: :highfive: :tease: :outtahere:

lcarreau
07-30-2007, 20:40
Originally posted by lcarreau
Proud Platinum member. :thumbsup:

BEANCOUNTER
07-30-2007, 20:42
(Probably posted somewhere, but I can't find it.)

Is it possible to mail a check for the paid tier?

If so, is the "STE 300-165" address I used before still good?

CJStudent
07-30-2007, 20:44
I'll be in as soon as my paycheck for this upcoming drill weekend comes through. Kinda in a money cruch, but I'll spring for at least the first-tier membership as soon as I can.

MooseJaw
07-30-2007, 20:47
Color me Platinum..

Thx for a great forum..

IndyGunFreak
07-30-2007, 20:51
Originally posted by Eric
That is the tier where you buy me a new house and car and keep me in the lifestyle I would like to become accustomed to.:supergrin: Eric

:laughabove: :laughabove:

Overworked, Underpaid, and under appreciated, and still a sense of humor!

Platinum inbound via Paypal!

Thanks Eric!

IGF

IndyGunFreak
07-30-2007, 20:57
Originally posted by Letner
done. Went for the gold till I see what this is all about

I guess I could see the reasoning in that.

For me though, this isn't at all about what I'm getting in return. This place has more laughing, loving, crying and fighting, than your average country song. Its generally my first and last stop in the morning, and the last before bedtime.

I'd have done it w/o any perks. The vast info I've learned about guns, not to mention I'd still be a Microsoft slave if it wasn't for several in the Tech Talk forum--- THAT alone is worth a Platinum! :)

IGF

RJ1670
07-30-2007, 20:58
As soon as I purchase the rest of my field gear I need I'm in. Hell, if Uncle Sam would issue the **** instead of making me buy it I'd be in right now.

Thanks for all the hard work, Eric!

Egyas
07-30-2007, 21:09
I'm in too, but not until and end of August. I have a family vacation I'm saving everything for. As soon as that is out of the way, I'm in!

PeterJasonMN
07-30-2007, 21:11
Eric--

If we do a $40 first, can we pitch in another $40 then later on next paycheck or something and still have it count as the $80 level?

Eric
07-30-2007, 21:13
Originally posted by PeterJasonMN
Eric--

If we do a $40 first, can we pitch in another $40 then later on next paycheck or something and still have it count as the $80 level?

Yes, I'll ad an upgrade provision to the system. The current payment method is simply a stopgap. I will create a custom payment portal that will solve for all upgrade variations and will update a member's status realtime. Eric

customG29
07-30-2007, 21:14
Im in for platinum.:thumbsup:

ref441
07-30-2007, 21:20
Count me in as a new Platinum member. You have sold more guns and accessories for me than the rest combined.

bush pilot
07-30-2007, 21:31
I must have missed something. Can you post a physical address or PO box where we can send a cheque? You aren't in Nigeria, are you?

ref441
07-30-2007, 21:37
Here it is:

Eric Powell
2700 Woodlands Village Blvd #300-165
Flagstaff AZ 86001

texan86
07-30-2007, 21:43
I just bought my gold membership via paypal. Thanks for all you do Eric!

I have a question though, (if you have already answered it, sorry for my stupidity) when will we see actual changes for the paid members (when will the new tier system kick in)? and the details of what each tier will have will be posted here within a couple of weeks (and where will that be found)?

Sorry for the questions, but I am excited about what this will do for GT!

You rock Eric:thumbsup:

Glolt20-91
07-30-2007, 21:44
I like 1911s, but this is my favorite social life website . . . so . . . platinum in the mail. Hope it all works out for you buddy.
:cheers:

Bob :cowboy: :horse:

B. Somm
07-30-2007, 21:45
<-- doesn't use Paypal. Sending mine through snail mail!

B. :thumbsup:

riddler
07-30-2007, 21:47
Membership inbound through Paypal. Thanks!

loum
07-30-2007, 21:53
Check will be in the mail tomorrow morning.

mustang26
07-30-2007, 21:53
Eric,

I don't post much but I read and learn a lot on GT. I've submitted my platinum membership. Thanks for a worthwhile forum.

Eric
07-30-2007, 22:11
Originally posted by bush pilot
I must have missed something. Can you post a physical address or PO box where we can send a cheque? You aren't in Nigeria, are you?

No, I'm in Zimbabwe. Did you get my email about that ten million I needed you to deposit in your account?:supergrin:

You can go through the shopping cart and choose the check/money order option. Then, print out the email receipt and mail it in with your payment. It is easier to keep track of things if all of the orders are in the same pipe. If you would prefer to not use the shopping cart for some reason, you can mail in a check or money order made out to Eric Powell, 2700 Woodlands Village Blvd Ste 300-165 Flagstaff, AZ 86001. Please be sure to include your GT user name. Thanks. Eric

the iceman
07-30-2007, 22:16
I'm in also. I enjoy this site too much!

Mark 19
07-30-2007, 22:28
Hi Eric, Thanks for all you've done. I sent you the Platinum funds by check, which should get there by Friday. My Paypal account is dedicated to a sideline business, not personal, so I can't send personal funds that way (which'll save you 2% anyway). I donate here for the same reason I donate to the NRA. Thanks again, Mark 19

GSD17
07-30-2007, 22:44
Eric, Gonna stick to my word here. I've said everytime it has came up that I'd pay for a paid tier. I get paid this week, I'll go platinum! Thanks for GT Eric.

trio
07-30-2007, 23:10
i just purchased a silver as well...I will try and do more later...got to sneak it past the wifey....

thanks for all you do...

GlockFish
07-30-2007, 23:57
Is this the same server that has over 40 other commerce sites along with some private websites for family or friends? Because paying for a Glocktalk server is a little different than paying for a Glocktalk that is 1 of 40something other sites you run and host.

bush pilot
07-31-2007, 00:00
Cheque's in the mail (no really) Do platinum members get to swear and tell dirty jokes w/o being censored?

Critias
07-31-2007, 00:29
What will my Platinum Membership look like when I get it in the mail? :supergrin:

kirgi08
07-31-2007, 01:10
Eric,PLEASE RESPOND TA THIS.I dont use plastic,I will however send ya a Western Union,If'n youse tell me how,Really all I need is a city code,It will cost around a 110 dollars for me to do this,don't care I'll pay the 80 bucks,and don't care about the upgrades,all I want is ta be able to access this site like I normally do.So, If'n ya would,look at my Usage and tell me what your best plan is.I'm not very proficient or prodigal when it comes to this,but I know I want to be part of this site.Respects Kirgi08.

bobby_w
07-31-2007, 05:06
Done. Platinum. Now I don't feel so guilty for hanging out here.

HerrGlock
07-31-2007, 06:21
I couldn't care less what the different memberships are or what you're going to add for each. I run my own web servers, have a Tb or so of storage space and very few people ever PM me.

I do, however, just about live on the site. Money inbound.

I wouldn't mind an OAFesque forum for the paying members only. Posting details on an open board does bother me a bit.

CJStudent
07-31-2007, 07:14
Originally posted by HerrGlock

I wouldn't mind an OAFesque forum for the paying members only. Posting details on an open board does bother me a bit.

I'll second that one.

mouser
07-31-2007, 07:42
This is an amazing site; I don't know what the difference in tiers will be, but I don't really care - I probably won't use any but basic features (ie, read posts) anyway.
But..Platinum ordered, check in the mail this evening.

Eric
07-31-2007, 08:07
Originally posted by GlockFish
Is this the same server that has over 40 other commerce sites along with some private websites for family or friends? Because paying for a Glocktalk server is a little different than paying for a Glocktalk that is 1 of 40something other sites you run and host.

No it is not, thanks for asking. My online network comprises 15 servers, 12 of which directly or indirectly serve Glock Talk. I am sure this fact was mentioned in the thread you pulled that screen shot from. You don't have to want to be a part of my efforts, but I don't appreciate you pissing on them. Eric

BOB THEDOG
07-31-2007, 08:21
On a nicer note; I'm in for a gold membership. I'll send you a check.
Could you do me a favor, I owe $6000 to an associate. If I send you a money order, could you forward $5500 to him and keep $500 for your troubles? He prefers cash.:wavey:

Slackdog
07-31-2007, 08:22
Platinum membership paid for. Thanks for the hard work Eric. Glock Talk will always be my #1 website.

Slackdog

Eric
07-31-2007, 08:23
Originally posted by BOB THEDOG
On a nicer note; I'm in for a gold membership. I'll send you a check.
Could you do me a favor, I owe $6000 to an associate. If I send you a money order, could you forward $5500 to him and keep $500 for your troubles? He prefers cash.:wavey:

No problem. I just won the Norwegian lottery! For the third time this week!!! Eric

One Ragged Hole
07-31-2007, 08:30
Another Platinum member here. I also wonder what it will look like once the mail arrives;) I like silver colored metal.
O-R-H

HerrGlock
07-31-2007, 08:32
Eric,

Can we pick up another membership to donate to the "poor college student" fund?

Eric
07-31-2007, 08:45
Eric,

Can we pick up another membership to donate to the "poor college student" fund?

Yep. Until I create a permanent solution for such donations, be sure to put a comment in the comments field explaining that the purchase is a donation. I'll need to figure out a way to disburse these memberships as well. Any ideas? Eric

TriggerPull
07-31-2007, 08:49
Count me in:thumbsup:

HerrGlock
07-31-2007, 08:56
Yep. Until I create a permanent solution for such donations, be sure to put a comment in the comments field explaining that the purchase is a donation. I'll need to figure out a way to disburse these memberships as well. Any ideas? Eric

The only thing I can come up with that's even remotely possible without getting into the good ol' boy network too much is:

100 posts AND 3 months minimum as an unpaid member.

By then, we'll have a good idea if the person's on the level or FOS.

Possibly a "only if you're mainly posting from a .edu account" or a link to show where the school blocks such boards.

ChiefWPD
07-31-2007, 08:58
Eric:

I just tried to pay for a platinum membership. Did the fill-ins. It said thanks, but never took my credit card info.

I'm confused.

Eric
07-31-2007, 09:01
Originally posted by ChiefWPD
Eric:

I just tried to pay for a platinum membership. Did the fill-ins. It said thanks, but never took my credit card info.

I'm confused.

Hello. It looks like you chose the 'check/money order' option when you checked out. You should have received an email receipt with an address you can mail a check to, or you can send the $75 to my Pay Pal account email address: ericdpowell@earthlink.net , with a comment letting me know where to apply the payment. Please email me at webmaster@glocktalk.com if you have more trouble. Thanks. Eric

Fuerte
07-31-2007, 09:07
Platinum Membership submitted. Thanks.

Razoreye
07-31-2007, 09:10
I'm in!

Captain Caveman
07-31-2007, 09:15
I'll be platinum on Friday!!!

BTW...I agree with some others here. I don't care about the "perks", I just care about keeping this site active.

ChiefWPD
07-31-2007, 09:19
Hello. It looks like you chose the 'check/money order' option when you checked out. You should have received an email receipt with an address you can mail a check to, or you can send the $75 to my Pay Pal account email address: ericdpowell@earthlink.net , with a comment letting me know where to apply the payment. Please email me at webmaster@glocktalk.com if you have more trouble. Thanks. Eric

OK, got it figured out!

Check's in the mail (or, at least, it's gonna be soon...)

Rich

mvician
07-31-2007, 09:55
I'm in :thumbsup:

Cousin
07-31-2007, 10:05
Is it possible to purchase a GT membership via a mailed-in money order with no personal information provided other than my GT user name? If so, payable to whom and mailed to whom? This same question applies for ordinary donations as well.

Given the focus that many hackers have towards "gun sites", I have a genuine concern that my personal and credit card info could be easily obtained or compromised.

lcarreau
07-31-2007, 10:10
Originally posted by Cousin
Is it possible to purchase a GT membership via a mailed-in money order with no personal information provided other than my GT user name? If so, payable to whom and mailed to whom? This same question applies for ordinary donations as well.

Given the focus that many hackers have towards "gun sites", I have a genuine concern that my personal and credit card info could be easily obtained or compromised.

I thought one of the perks of the tiered system was that there would be a bit more accountability in the classifieds section of GT. I have not had any bad experiences but I would feel better about someone who had Eric as their acountabillybuddy.

-Lonnie

ref441
07-31-2007, 10:13
Cousin:

I just mailed mine this morning. Eric's address is shown in an earlier post.

Sidhe
07-31-2007, 10:59
Originally posted by Cousin

Eric's shopping cart here on GT is not set up to take your credit card info. If you wish to pay by credit card, that will be done through Paypal, which then shunts the funds to Eric. He =never= sees your private credit card info.

Just thought I'd point that out for anyone else who wants to pay via credit card but had misgivings.

Otherwise, given that he's posted his mailing info on the top of the page (this page or page 3) you should be able to just purchase a money order, put your username on it, and mail it in to him to process that way.

Kat
*builds these carts for e-commerce sites and knows way too much about how they're set up*

16vmkII
07-31-2007, 11:01
I'm in. Figure I've enjoyed this site for basically free the past few years. Might as well give back to it in a manner that doesn't consist of sarcasm, curse words or an argument. :)

Warp
07-31-2007, 11:24
Payment sent. :thumbsup:

Hopefully the silver membership will have something fun to play with.

Glock Talk is my primary site. It's worth $35. Easily. :)

james481
07-31-2007, 11:50
Well, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish with this "upgrade". If I pay for a membership, am I paying for the site to produce original content? Will there be member only articles produced by paid authors for the site?

In other words, is the pay system to cover the cost of new, original content (and I don't mean search features or other tools to view user submitted content), or to cover the costs of bandwidth and servers? If it is simply to cover the costs associated with running the site, certainly many won't mind paying to keep this site open, but it simply isn't a viable business model. After all, you're asking that we help foot the cost of bandwidth, most of which (based on my 2 second analysis of a random page) is used to serve ads that are supposed to pay for themselves plus some.

Hence, my question. Are you asking that we pay for new, original content (in which case, I'm in), or to help foot the bill because of ineffective advertising? Don't get me wrong, I certainly enjoy the community here, but absent any new original content, you're essentially asking that members foot the bill to keep the community growing, something that, IMHO should be done by the advertising.

Warp
07-31-2007, 11:54
Originally posted by james481
Well, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish with this "upgrade". If I pay for a membership, am I paying for the site to produce original content? Will there be member only articles produced by paid authors for the site?

In other words, is the pay system to cover the cost of new, original content (and I don't mean search features or other tools to view user submitted content), or to cover the costs of bandwidth and servers? If it is simply to cover the costs associated with running the site, certainly many won't mind paying to keep this site open, but it simply isn't a viable business model. After all, you're asking that we help foot the cost of bandwidth, most of which (based on my 2 second analysis of a random page) is used to serve ads that are supposed to pay for themselves plus some.

Hence, my question. Are you asking that we pay for new, original content (in which case, I'm in), or to help foot the bill because of ineffective advertising? Don't get me wrong, I certainly enjoy the community here, but absent any new original content, you're essentially asking that members foot the bill to keep the community growing, something that, IMHO should be done by the advertising.

You havn't read the whole thread/the announcement at the top of the site, have you?

gunsite
07-31-2007, 11:55
THE CHECK IS IN THE MAIL

Eric
07-31-2007, 11:56

Your comments show a bias that I don't have the time or energy to try to overcome right now. If you have these kinds of questions, perhaps you should wait to see the system in action, before making a decision. For the record though, it is a little silly to state that 'most' of the bandwidth is being used to support the ads. Eric

HerrGlock
07-31-2007, 11:57

Read the stickies at the top of the page that cover that.

If you disagree with them, then don't participate or keep using the free stuff available and start your own community and guide it as you see fit.

Eric
07-31-2007, 11:58
On a side note, isn't it ironic that when people start a sentence by saying "I don't mean to be rude', or 'I don't want to offend you', or 'I don't mean to rain on your parade', that is almost always their intention, or at least the inevitable result of their comments? Eric

HerrGlock
07-31-2007, 11:59
On a side note, isn't it ironic that when people start a sentence by saying "I don't mean to be rude', or 'I don't want to offend you', or 'I don't mean to rain on your parade', that is almost always their intention, or at least the inevitable result of their comments? Eric

I don't mean to be rude but that's the dumbest thing I believe I've ever heard :shocked: :supergrin:

Sidhe
07-31-2007, 12:05
I don't mean to be rude but that's the dumbest thing I believe I've ever heard :shocked: :supergrin:

+1000

WIG19
07-31-2007, 12:09
I don't mean to be rude but that's the dumbest thing I believe I've ever heard :shocked: :supergrin: :animlol:

Eric, just one question re paid-tier photo hosting. My work fw prevents me from hitting or cleaning up the Photobucket links I used to use (to avoid uploading the files to your server). I have a GT workaround 'cause I run right to the IP. Will the photo-hosting be done essentially off the same target IP? If so, I'll be in bigtime just to keep my posts with photos cleanly done; I mean Butch can't be in his telephone booth all the time - he actually sleeps, I've seen it.
(HerrGlock I'm not so sure about...) :rofl:

:patriot:

james481
07-31-2007, 12:11
Your comments show a bias that I don't have the time or energy to try to overcome right now. If you have these kinds of questions, perhaps you should wait to see the system in action, before making a decision. For the record though, it is a little silly to state that 'most' of the bandwidth is being used to support the ads. Eric

Don't misinterpret what I say to mean that I don't appreciate the hard work you have put into this site. I professionally maintain websites and servers and know how much work it can be. To answer the other questions, I did, in fact read the sticky and the linked thread explaining what new features would be available to paid members. What I saw are essentially features that allow more efficient access to user submitted content. So, my question remains valid (unless I horribly missed something). Are you asking us to pay for original content, or to pay for bandwidth and servers?

As to the bandwidth issue, correct me if I'm wrong, but my brief analysis shows that most of each page's bandwidth usage goes towards user avatars and advertising. The site graphics are all cached after the first visit. The text (i.e. the content) use small amounts of bandwidth in comparison to the banner sized multiple frame animated gif advertisements that adorn every page. Not that I'm complaining about the ads (I do click on the ads from time to time).

Eric
07-31-2007, 12:14
Originally posted by WIG19
:animlol:

Eric, just one question re paid-tier photo hosting. My work fw prevents me from hitting or cleaning up the Photobucket links I used to use (to avoid uploading the files to your server). I have a GT workaround 'cause I run right to the IP. Will the photo-hosting be done essentially off the same target IP? If so, I'll be in bigtime just to keep my posts with photos cleanly done; I mean Butch can't be in his telephone booth all the time - he actually sleeps, I've seen it.
(HerrGlock I'm not so sure about...) :rofl:

The IP's will work, but I will also come up with more domain names pointed at the system as well. Eric

james481
07-31-2007, 12:15

Did I offend you in some way? Are my questions inappropriate?

HerrGlock
07-31-2007, 12:17
The IP's will work, but I will also come up with more domain names pointed at the system as well. Eric

As do a lot of us with other domains already :supergrin:

Eric
07-31-2007, 12:22
Don't misinterpret what I say to mean that I don't appreciate the hard work you have put into this site. I professionally maintain websites and servers and know how much work it can be. To answer the other questions, I did, in fact read the sticky and the linked thread explaining what new features would be available to paid members. What I saw are essentially features that allow more efficient access to user submitted content. So, my question remains valid (unless I horribly missed something). Are you asking us to pay for original content, or to pay for bandwidth and servers?

As to the bandwidth issue, correct me if I'm wrong, but my brief analysis shows that most of each page's bandwidth usage goes towards user avatars and advertising. The site graphics are all cached after the first visit. The text (i.e. the content) use small amounts of bandwidth in comparison to the banner sized multiple frame animated gif advertisements that adorn every page. Not that I'm complaining about the ads (I do click on the ads from time to time).

Look, as I stated in the 'Purpose of This Forum' message stickied at the top of the Paid Tier forum, we have already debated this matter and decided to move forward with it. Whether you want to participate or not is your decision to make and I didn't set up this forum to debate such decisions.

As I said, if you are unsure whether or you want to participate, why don't you wait to see the new system in action? There are no hard feelings on my part, but I do not have the time or inclination to debate this with you. Eric

WIG19
07-31-2007, 12:24
The IP's will work, but I will also come up with more domain names pointed at the system as well. Eric OUTstanding! Then I can continue to do the end-run thing.
:devildance:

Eric
07-31-2007, 12:25
Did I offend you in some way? Are my questions inappropriate?

Well, I thought your comments were out of place at least. No hard feelings though. Eric

Pitmaster
07-31-2007, 12:29
Platinum membership here. I'm looking forward to the improvements.

james481
07-31-2007, 12:32
Well, I thought your comments were out of place at least. No hard feelings though. Eric

My apologies. Trolling or thread hijacking was not my intent. Carry on. :thumbsup:

Eric
07-31-2007, 12:39
My apologies. Trolling or thread hijacking was not my intent. Carry on. :thumbsup:

No apologies necessary. I didn't mean to jump on you. My new puppy is housebreaking me and I am not getting much sleep. Eric

Steve Koski
07-31-2007, 12:58
Originally posted by Warp
You havn't read the whole thread/the announcement at the top of the site, have you?

You know, it's pretty friggin' stupid to have to read a 5 page thread to get some simple information, or to have to click follow links and read other threads to discover the benefits of membership.

Eric - If you have new information to add, please edit your original post, so we don't have to read 5 pages of nonsense to glean 15 seconds worth of information.

Thanks,

Steve Koski

Warp
07-31-2007, 13:04
Originally posted by Steve Koski
You know, it's pretty friggin' stupid to have to read a 5 page thread to get some simple information, or to have to click follow links and read other threads to discover the benefits of membership.

Eric - If you have new information to add, please edit your original post, so we don't have to read 5 pages of nonsense to glean 15 seconds worth of information.

Thanks,

Steve Koski

For me, personally, this was all I needed to hear for now:

I already have some great features ready to add to the new system and I am always finding more. Just today I found a system that will allow members to place keywords in a list and then any time someone posts a message that includes one or more of their keywords, they will receive an email about it. There will be some great stuff in the new system.

From the first post in this thread.

dkt2k
07-31-2007, 13:19
Eric, I'm your newest Platinum member...woohoo!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Glockdude1
07-31-2007, 13:49
Originally posted by dkt2k
Eric, I'm your newest Platinum member...woohoo!!!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

For all of us that are now "Platinum Members", we will get our own forum?

J/K Eric.........

:laughabove:

wolfy692005
07-31-2007, 14:30
cant do the highest tier but i can do one of them.. I have no problem putting money into this site. I think Eric does a fantastic job and i really do not understand how the heck he does it.
All one has to do is go to the OAF,, look at the Codive thread... he met lots of people all around the US.. from where? right here.. I think that speaks volumes..
I said from the start i would be in.. and I'm in!

Oh yeah Eric.... putting is a spellcheck for people like me would be real cool.... :thumbsup:
money coming via paypal as before.

Warp
07-31-2007, 14:31
Spellcheck. Yeah, I could use that!

Egyas
07-31-2007, 14:33

OH YES! And something to automatically replace my ";". I ALWAYS type don;t instead of don't. lol I am forever going back and correcting those! :rofl:

sjstill
07-31-2007, 14:42
Will the paid membership allow me to get email notifications of threads I've posted in?

Sidhe
07-31-2007, 14:53
Originally posted by sjstill
Will the paid membership allow me to get email notifications of threads I've posted in?

That's an existing feature..... You just need to select the checkboxes that apply.

For example, when you reply to a post, look below it. It should have four checkboxes, the second of which is "Email Notification".

Then again, you may be totally tongue-in-cheek right now.

Warp
07-31-2007, 14:55
I never really noticed the email notification.

Mine is checked by default, I am looking at it right now. I NEVER get emails, though..... :headscratch:

Sidhe
07-31-2007, 15:00
I never really noticed the email notification.

Mine is checked by default, I am looking at it right now. I NEVER get emails, though..... :headscratch:

Spam filter too stringent?

Is your email correct in your profile?

Lethal Farce
07-31-2007, 15:03
Count me in. Whatever you charge, will still be cheap compared to the education I have gotten, and the money I have saved from info on your site. Seriously, I knew about Britany's bald head before my kids. You can't put a price on that.
LF

Disintegr8or
07-31-2007, 15:27
I am in.

Warp
07-31-2007, 16:20
Originally posted by Sidhepro
Spam filter too stringent?

Is your email correct in your profile?

I had an old email address (that I cannot even use anymore) in. I bet it got a lot of messages! :rofl:

I tried to change the email in my profile to the only one I actually use (AOL) but apparently Glock Talk will not send to AOL. Not to admins/Eric: I still will not be able to receive email from GT.

I created a throw away account I will never use again with Yahoo and was able to re-activate my account immediately.

I also changed the default to NOT email me.

Jack23
07-31-2007, 16:57
Eric, All I can say is, "It's about time". :banana: This is the absolute largest, most educational, most entertaining, most interesting, and the most out-right fun place I've seen on the internet in the 12 years I've been active.

I know you care a great deal about this place and your members and it shows in the hard work and dedication that you give to us all. You and the great moderators you have do a terrific job.

I am delighted and proud to get in on the ground floor of the new deal. I have just signed up for the Platinum tier and I am very excited and eager to see it all come to fruition. The check goes out tomorrow. :supergrin:. No. Really! :thumbsup:

I know GT is your baby but most of us love it as well and are totally hooked and dedicated to seeing it be as good as it can be.

I thank you for your time, blood, sweat, and tears and I appreciate What it takes to keep this place here and keep it great.

Best of luck to you. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well for you in the coming weeks and months as you work through everything.

tjbert47
07-31-2007, 17:03
Thanks Eric. I'll mail the check tomorrow morning.

Tom in TN

SquatPressRow
07-31-2007, 18:19
Hi Eric,

Look at me, the new guy chiming in and giving you my two cents...

But I'm an internet marketer who owns 10 profitable sites (four of which are membership sites) so I feel I can help you out.

1. I say you talk to your advertisers and let them know that you are raising their price by 33%. Some may leave - big deal! Those that stay will still give you more revenue than you are getting now. And the ones that leave will most likely be your pain in the ass advertisers.

2. Toss in some google adwords all over the site to help you generate additional revenue.

3. Charge EVERYONE a membership fee of 5.99 per month. Every single person who posts on this site can afford .19 cents a day. And if they say they will leave or can't afford it they are full of it. You provide an awesome venue for glock lovers, and frankly everyone should see the additional content that you plan to add so charge us all.

4. I may be new to Glocks (got my first g19 10 days ago) but I know internet membership sites like MJ knows basketball. So if you need help will billing software, solutions, and other ready to use membership sites let me know. I can help and the cost can be a lot less than you think.

By the way... check out www.membergate.com. I'm launching three more membership sites this year and one is going to be for marathon runners and we will be using membergate for it.

Anyhow, thatís my two cents...

HerrGlock
07-31-2007, 18:26
Originally posted by SquatPressRow
Hi Eric,

You've not been here long, that's obvious.

There's a reason a lot of us are here and not on the sites you're talking about. This is just plain a nice place to hang out and not some pressure guy trying to sell something.

Stick around a while and you'll see why there are 70,000 users and probably about 1/3 actually active. I'd put those stats against any site you care to bring up with a general interest board.

Slashdot has a higher user rate but they aren't high pressure either.

Fenway
07-31-2007, 18:26
This site would violate Googles TOS for adsense / adwords because of the firearms discussion. However there are other advertising programs that would work. "clicksor" comes to mind and I really think it would be a great idea for this site. Another one I have been using with alot of sucess on my sites is "auctionads".

The move to the latest version of VB is a good one as this version should be in a museum.

Great job to the owner. This place must be really difficult to run given the size and traffic but it works very well. I really hope you will look into some pay per click advertising. I think it could be huge in addition to your banner ads.

Warp
07-31-2007, 18:38

2. Toss in some google adwords all over the site to help you generate additional revenue.

3. Charge EVERYONE a membership fee of 5.99 per month. Every single person who posts on this site can afford .19 cents a day. And if they say they will leave or can't afford it they are full of it. You provide an awesome venue for glock lovers, and frankly everyone should see the additional content that you plan to add so charge us all.

Those wouldn't go over here very well.

I am extremely happy Eric has committed to the basic membership being free. And I absolutely HATE those adwords! I believe the vast majorty of members would feel the same way.

tjbert47
07-31-2007, 19:03
Those wouldn't go over here very well.

I am extremely happy Eric has committed to the basic membership being free. And I absolutely HATE those adwords! I believe the vast majorty of members would feel the same way.

Well said Warp

Tom in TN

CJStudent
07-31-2007, 19:26
I had an old email address (that I cannot even use anymore) in. I bet it got a lot of messages! :rofl:

I tried to change the email in my profile to the only one I actually use (AOL) but apparently Glock Talk will not send to AOL. Not to admins/Eric: I still will not be able to receive email from GT.

I created a throw away account I will never use again with Yahoo and was able to re-activate my account immediately.

I also changed the default to NOT email me.

It does send to AOL. My primary e-mail is AOL, and I get updates on there all the time.

Warp
07-31-2007, 19:28
Originally posted by CJStudent
It does send to AOL. My primary e-mail is AOL, and I get updates on there all the time.

I guess it doesn't like my email address.

The Yahoo came instantly. I waited over an hour when I put in the AOL, and checked int he spam folder. Nothing.

I also originally tried to use AOL when I registered two years ago, and after 5+ days of nothing (and no reply from my email to the administrator) I switched and tried again with my .edu email address and it worked instantly.

Beats me.

CJStudent
07-31-2007, 19:30
I guess it doesn't like my email address.

The Yahoo came instantly. I waited over an hour when I put in the AOL, and checked int he spam folder. Nothing.

I also originally tried to use AOL when I registered two years ago, and after 5+ days of nothing (and no reply from my email to the administrator) I switched and tried again with my .edu email address and it worked instantly.

Beats me.

Guess it just doesn't like you then. Sucks to be you! :tongueout:

:supergrin: :animlol: :hugs: :thumbsup: :wavey:

geminicricket
07-31-2007, 20:08
Good thing I did it yesterday, got the dreadit card bill today with the bulk of my vacation spending from June on it.

tddncure
07-31-2007, 20:41

spoken like a true salesman out to make a few bucks, and dont care how he does it,

personally, i find this site very infomrative, and have found may really good deal (most of the time i miss them by <--> much) and like most everyone here has mentioned the paid tier memberships mean very little to us and would be just as happy Giving him the money to help keep the board running. however i would never pay a monthly fee to search ads browse threads, and **** chat with others that share the same passion as me.

some how i what i read in this is "Hey eric while i care less if you run off any of your members or paid sponsors i see you as a potential customer that can put money in MY POCKET"

are you offering Eric your servies free of charge?

just curious,

while i am a fairly in active person on this site and really do not wish to purchase a tier membership i do enjoy hanging out here when my local forum is haveing a slow day and would love to help sponsor this site by sending you a donation to the address you posted eariler.
ok rant off

CheesyD
07-31-2007, 20:47
I went for a Silver.

Thanks for all you do, Eric.

geekboy
07-31-2007, 21:05
Eric and/or Eddit. I did just sign up for a membership, so I'm on board to support this site. As I wrote before, I do have computing capacity at a site that I run that has several servers and some good fiber connections to the internet. Don't know if I could be a backup site or do other things to help out. I've been running a mini-hosting environment since 1996. I also run vBulletin (on Windows and Solaris)... maybe there's some development work or other things you need done. Let me know.

KeithS
07-31-2007, 21:25
Just now, via PayPal.

Ender99
07-31-2007, 23:05
I have no problem supporting a great board like this...but I can't when it refuses to id me. :supergrin:

Tried 3 times to sign up for a gold membership, but it refuses to recognize my email address. Thought I might have borked my password, but it wouldn't even send it due to the email issue. PM me so we can fix this and I can give you money.....:laughabove:

Ender

SquatPressRow
07-31-2007, 23:40
****spoken like a true salesman out to make a few bucks, and dont care how he does it,

personally, i find this site very infomrative, and have found may really good deal (most of the time i miss them by <--> much) and like most everyone here has mentioned the paid tier memberships mean very little to us and would be just as happy Giving him the money to help keep the board running. however i would never pay a monthly fee to search ads browse threads, and **** chat with others that share the same passion as me.

some how i what i read in this is "Hey eric while i care less if you run off any of your members or paid sponsors i see you as a potential customer that can put money in MY POCKET"

are you offering Eric your servies free of charge?

just curious, ***

Yep Tddncure I am offering my services for free.

And in fact I just paid for a memebership myself. Frankly, its not about sales. Its about having a better forum for use to discuss all things glock. And for that to happen it takes money. Money for servers, for hosting, for programming, and for support (I'm sure Eric would like to hire someone to help him out).

Heck, I bet if Eric had money left over he could pay an expert or two to have a webinar or tele-seminar on blasistics, tactics, ect..

Ever hear the phrase "you get what you pay for"? I dont know about you but I dont mind paying six bucks a month to have a search function that works anytime I want to use it. Oh, and wouldn't it be great if the site was up all the time without crashing?

And what's wrong with Eric making a little profit? He does seem to work his but off to make this a content rich resource site for us all to enjoy.

But hey, I'm the new guy here so what do I know?

9L82
07-31-2007, 23:53
Platinum

there ya go sir..thanks

Critias
08-01-2007, 00:10
But hey, I'm the new guy here so what do I know? [/B]
Not enough to be telling Eric to go back on his word. Glocktalk memberships are free, and always will be. The paid tier is an optional, additional, level of membership available to those of us who want them. People can still post, reply, send PMs, read, you name it, without a dime.

Eric doesn't plan on changing that, and someone with a month-old account telling him he could make "a little profit" for it isn't going to change his mind. And if it did change his mind (no offense, Eric, I know you won't, I'm just spouting a hypothetical here) -- and a new guy to GT might not know this -- enough of us would lose respect for a double-talking forum administrator that he'd surely lose money in the long run.

It's great that you think you know how to run this place...but you don't.

HerrGlock
08-01-2007, 02:49
Frankly, its not about sales. Its about having a better forum for use to discuss all things glock.

You ARE new here. Stick around for a bit and see why this site is different.

kcolg30
08-01-2007, 04:48
Now I have to give up my beer money and will not be able to by my daily drinking keg.....damit

c-mama
08-01-2007, 05:31
Originally posted by Ender99
I have no problem supporting a great board like this...but I can't when it refuses to id me. :supergrin:

Tried 3 times to sign up for a gold membership, but it refuses to recognize my email address. Thought I might have borked my password, but it wouldn't even send it due to the email issue. PM me so we can fix this and I can give you money.....:laughabove:

Ender Have you ever used the shopping cart on GT before? Your login information is not the same as your GT user name and password. If you have never used the shopping cart before, you will need to create a new user id and password for this section.

Jefs
08-01-2007, 06:29
The platinum-level information I've received here certainly deserves a platinum-level membership from me, so I'm platinum.
A big yeah :thumbsup: for Eric and GT.

WINGS
08-01-2007, 09:31
Lifetime via Pay Pal today. It's just good business considering that a tiered membership payment is a yearly one.
So the next time I have Sushi I'll cut back on the Uni and an extra Kirin Ichiban or 2!
GT is certainly worth it.

BOM
08-01-2007, 10:08
Platnum on the way.

This is a fantastic site, and i'm happy to support it.

Cochese
08-01-2007, 11:12
Platinum gangsta.

HerrGlock
08-01-2007, 12:02
Well, well, well... HELL.

Guess I get the valve cover gaskets changed next month :supergrin:

G19Tony
08-01-2007, 12:18
Signed up for Platinum the other day. :banana:

G19Tony
08-01-2007, 12:18
Well, well, well... HELL.

Guess I get the valve cover gaskets changed next month :supergrin:

You rich rotorheads can afford it. :animlol: :tongueout:

HerrGlock
08-01-2007, 12:20
Originally posted by G19Tony
You rich rotorheads can afford it. :animlol: :tongueout:

Riiiigggghhhhhtttt
Rich is not one of the things one is looking for when in the Government :animlol:

umc
08-01-2007, 12:53
Eric,

Alright, I'm getting ready to sign up for a tier membership and want to do it soon as there are only 50 (or less) out there.:)

I think I'm just going to get the membership but about two raffles ago you said that for every 100 dollars spent on tickets would buy a year of tier membership, I'm wondering if you're still able to do that and if you have record of who bought what.

If you still do plan to honor that offer would it be possible discount one of these memberships?

Maybe I'll send an email...

Razoreye
08-01-2007, 12:57
Hi Eric,

But I'm an internet marketer who owns 10 profitable sites (four of which are membership sites) so I feel I can help you out.

1. I say you talk to your advertisers and let them know that you are raising their price by 33%. Some may leave - big deal! Those that stay will still give you more revenue than you are getting now. And the ones that leave will most likely be your pain in the ass advertisers.

4. I may be new to Glocks (got my first g19 10 days ago) but I know internet membership sites like MJ knows basketball. So if you need help will billing software, solutions, and other ready to use membership sites let me know. I can help and the cost can be a lot less than you think.

By the way... check out www.membergate.com. I'm launching three more membership sites this year and one is going to be for marathon runners and we will be using membergate for it.

Anyhow, thatís my two cents... 1. Could but you want good business relations.
2. I absolutely despise adwords and would never come back. I'm sure there are some that agree.
3. Mandatory charge? I would have never joined in the first place. Again, scaring people away.
4. Congrats on the Glock. Eric does not own one but he does own a Kimber. Ironic... :supergrin: Well, I can't say much, I own a Kimber and love it, too! However, your two ideas would be instant killers, IMO or at least drastically slow down the site. You almost have to have a free member base unless your site is very popular via word of mouth, etc.

WINGS
08-01-2007, 13:26
Hi Eric,

Anyhow, thatís my two cents...

Ya know Slick that you sound just like the guy who called the other night regarding a 1978 Champagne Edition II VW Convertible that I have advertised for sale.
He talked fast and a lot and ran more so called "facts'" past me than you could ever imagine.
He offfered me $2,999 over my asking price BUT......I had to deliver my VW to his location, in another state, and when I got there I had to GIVE HIM a check for $1,695 for advertising then he would sell it and give me back my asking price plus the $2,999.
Yeah, right. Take a hike.
You just got the "you're added to my Ignore List" award for today.
C ya

freakshow10mm
08-01-2007, 13:52
I tried to do the Platinum Membership last night but I don't know if it went through. Can you confirm? I'll send a MO out if it didn't. Thanks.

WIG19
08-01-2007, 13:59
3. Charge EVERYONE a membership fee of 5.99 per month. Every single person who posts on this site can afford .19 cents a day.Willing to bet dedicated GT'er demographics says:
"Another piddly-ass monthly thing to remember?" :puking:

Those who will, want to "set it and forget it"...
:upeyes:

we're too busy shooting stuff, testing stuff, and talking about same.

Thanks, but not hardly.

rich52us
08-01-2007, 14:12
Platinum membership check is on the way.

Carolina Drifter
08-01-2007, 14:14
Paypal sent. I'm in. Come on guys/girls only five of us so far!

Thanks:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

oxfat
08-01-2007, 15:30
Sent mine in last night. GT is invaluable!

ander
08-01-2007, 15:35
I'm in just payed for the silver package. love the site.don't post very much,but read a lot'
thanks Gary

DaGroaner
08-01-2007, 15:54
I just signed up for the Charter Lifetime Member. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Tennessee Slim
08-01-2007, 16:02
Is the Charter membership a late addition or did I overlook it when I signed up? In any case, can I "upgrade" to Charter? If so, how?

umc
08-01-2007, 16:03
Originally posted by Tennessee Slim
Is the Charter membership a late addition or did I overlook it when I signed up? In any case, can I "upgrade" to Charter? If so, how?

It was added a little later than the rest but if you go to add it there will be a drop down where you can put in which membership you already paid for and that will deduct the difference.

c-mama
08-01-2007, 16:09
Originally posted by Tennessee Slim
Is the Charter membership a late addition or did I overlook it when I signed up? In any case, can I "upgrade" to Charter? If so, how? Yes, like umc said.

Also, read what Eric posted:

Sorry, wrong thead. Try this one:
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=736248

Moonfish
08-01-2007, 16:26
edit...

HerrGlock
08-01-2007, 16:29
Originally posted by rs9049
What is GT's business structure... non profit or for profit.. is there a business plan or financials available?

I hope he makes enough of a profit to pay him back for the time he sinks into this place at least!

I know entirely too well how much blood, sweat and tears goes into a large site.

Hell, I hope he makes enough on this membership drive alone to get the servers and be able to afford a yacht, but I doubt it.

freepatriot
08-01-2007, 16:37
What is GT's business structure... non profit or for profit.. is there a business plan or financials available?

NYSE stock ticker symbol "OAF"

Carolina Drifter
08-01-2007, 16:43
COME ON FOLKS THERE'S ONLY FIVE OR SIX OF US LIFERS SO FAR

STEP UP!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Moonfish
08-01-2007, 16:44
edit...

Warp
08-01-2007, 16:46
Originally posted by carolinadrifter
COME ON FOLKS THERE'S ONLY FIVE OR SIX OF US LIFERS SO FAR

STEP UP!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I didn't see the lifer option. How much is it?

Doesn't matter...I'm currently unemployed! Silver is all I'm good for.

How can you tell how many there are? Is there a list I missed?

Moonfish
08-01-2007, 16:48
edit...

Warp
08-01-2007, 16:49
No such symbol... may have been an attempt at humor?

Yes, humor, referring to a specific sub forum here on GT.

One which I have never ventured into. :lol:

freepatriot
08-01-2007, 16:50
I agree, HerrGlock... Eric should be doing very well from this site. OK, so it is a for profit enterprise. Good. Is Eric doing this alone as a sole proprietorÖ or has he established a corporation with a board of directors? Dude, you're killing me :rofl:

Eric
08-01-2007, 16:54
No such symbol... may have been an attempt at humor?

Dude, lighten up. This is a message board community that I built and I run. If you don't want to be a part of the paid tier system, why don't you check out some of other forums we have to offer and give this a rest? Eric

Moonfish
08-01-2007, 17:17
edit...

Carolina Drifter
08-01-2007, 17:20
Dude, lighten up. This is a message board community that I built and I run. If you don't want to be a part of the paid tier system, why don't you check out some of other forums we have to offer and give this a rest? Eric

+1 Eric

Jefs
08-01-2007, 18:10
I've received a lot of value from this site, so I'm happy to give a fraction back of what I've received. I just upgraded from Platinum to CLM.

HerrGlock
08-01-2007, 18:19
When do I get my decoder ring for my brass membership? :supergrin:

HerrGlock
08-01-2007, 18:21
Interesting... ok, I get it.

Eric is the guy who lives at the corner where everyone seems to congregate after hours. He just wants us to help out with the grass seed, door, table, silverware and fence repair that we make required because of all our comings and goings. The only reason he's asking for that is to allow us to be able to keep hanging out at his house.

Texas T
08-01-2007, 18:23
Here's the way I look at it... I've been here for going on eight years now; I've learned a lot; I've shared some knowledge; my wife knows where I am (not out running around); this is cheap entertainment and education. If GT were to go belly-up tomorrow after my payment was received I would consider myself coming out ahead because of everything Eric and the GT community has provided me over the years. The cost of my CLM is cheap compared to what I've gotten in return.

Moonfish
08-01-2007, 18:25
I decided to get a Charter Lifetime Membership because the work done here is really good.

freepatriot
08-01-2007, 18:45
Whew! ;) :supergrin:

HerrGlock
08-01-2007, 18:56
Originally posted by freepatriot
Whew! ;) :supergrin:

Arrogant :tongueout:

Moonfish
08-01-2007, 19:01
edit...

10rounds
08-01-2007, 19:26
Don't post a lot but I'm in.

SeriousStudent
08-01-2007, 19:46
I'm in as well.

Eric, thanks so very much for all your hard work and time. I have made some wonderful friends here, and appreciate what you have done.

And I hope your new puppy is doing well! :)

Carolina Drifter
08-01-2007, 19:47
Despite the arrogant fuzzy dude and carolina-brown-noser, I decided to get a Charter Lifetime Membership because the work done here is really good. They almost talked me out of it!

You can kiss this Carolina ass. Your the one that kept sounding like a crying little sissy.

Jefs
08-01-2007, 19:48
If anyone's considering upgrading to (or initially acquiring) a Charter Lifetime Membership you might want to act soon, since it looks like folks are snapping them up at a nice clip.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=736248&perpage=25&highlight=&pagenumber=2

watsoncb
08-01-2007, 19:59
I switched from Plat to Charter so Eric will not have to work harder.

Is it true that this charter stuff will remove rust, clean any firearm in 10 seconds and make every round hit the bulls eye? :bump: :outtahere: :tease:

Moonfish
08-01-2007, 20:11
edit...

umc
08-01-2007, 20:15
Geeez guys, let it go.

Carolina Drifter
08-01-2007, 20:19
I was about to invest $250 bucks and asked a few questions.. please explain how that was as you described? Maybe you're carolina-clueless as well?

If you got to think about it to the point of running it into the ground maybe you can't afford it.

AWWWWW, Can we kiss and make up???????? I'm outta here.

Moonfish
08-01-2007, 20:23
Originally posted by umc
Geeez guys, let it go.

done... I'm over it.

Rubirosa
08-01-2007, 20:33
Too many posts here now.
Maybe this has been posted, but I can't read them all.

Eric,

Love GT.

I want to be a real donor. If I would donate to one of the munificent categories, do you have a payment plan? Maybe over a year? Paypal? something?

Please- you or some mod send a personal reply. I don't know if I can follow this thread.

GT is great.

carlo1776
08-01-2007, 20:45
I know exactly what's involved. Even tho I don't own a Glock (S&W and SIG) this forum has been a great source of info for reloading and a ton of other issues ( and seeing as the CANADIAN $ is actually worth something). Don't know what type of server infrastructure you have but if you need any UNIX sysadmin talent, I've been doing it since the Dead Sea was just sick. My hourly rate is negotiable but I usually settle for $100/hour (Confederate dollars). Keep up the good work.

Poppa Bear
08-01-2007, 21:59
I'm in as a charter. Keep up the good work Eric!!

SomeDay
08-01-2007, 22:01

But where iz de fun in dat? It's much more fun to decipher what people are trying to sayz.
BTW, the check is in the mail for the platinum level - just catch it on the second bounce! So, do the Platimun members get a badge?
I've learned a lot on this forum and have had a lot of fun in the process. I'd say it's worth it.

BanzaiWRX
08-01-2007, 22:02
Just took the lifer option. :supergrin:

Dalton Wayne
08-01-2007, 22:10
Anychance of breaking the life payment into two payments Aug 3rd and Sept 3rd I live on my old age pension social Security
DW

Raden
08-01-2007, 22:15
My $250 is inbound with paypal.... I can do without a few goodies or a extra case of ammo to help out the place I love coming to.

pangris
08-01-2007, 22:42
Originally posted by freepatriot
NYSE stock ticker symbol "OAF"
:rofl:

jegoodin
08-01-2007, 23:12
I just upgraded to CLM from Platinum!

EASTTEXGLOCKER
08-02-2007, 00:46
Hi ERIC I have just made my choice you will see my e-mail to you .
thank you for having the perseverance & determination on this forum I know that their or many here that will amen that.

Cousin
08-02-2007, 08:19
Originally posted by ref441
Cousin:

I just mailed mine this morning. Eric's address is shown in an earlier post.

Yep, I see it. I simply didn't read all of the posts before asking. Thanks! :thumbsup:

succo
08-02-2007, 09:24
Sure! I'll be on board!

Regards, Ralf

ackvil
08-02-2007, 10:49
Just went Platinum. Eric and the other moderators do a great job. :thumbsup:

Warp
08-02-2007, 11:42
I thought there were only, ever, going to be 50 (maybe 60) "charter" lifetime memberships?

the iceman
08-02-2007, 12:17
I did it! I am a silver member. For now at least, sorry Eric, it is all that I could afford at the moment.

kpblade
08-02-2007, 12:59
I just signed up for a life membership but didn't see where I link it to my profile. Can you post how I would do this. Pleasure to support all your efforts.

fyrfytrcwd
08-02-2007, 13:44
I'm in on the Platinum Membership -- payment has been sent. Keep up the great work and the great site! :thumbsup:

Kimelac
08-02-2007, 13:54
Eric - purchased a CLM just now, and was trying to follow directions as listed on the shop page, it stated to click the 'click here to continue' after payment was made, and it wasn't listed anywhere on the post-payment page. Maybe I just missed it, can we verify somewhere else that you received payment and a number has been assigned?

Thanks,

Kimelac

edited to add - just received my receipt via email. Thanks again Eric!

Order # 1488. I hope you didn't get that many Charter Membership purchases and I made it in the first hundred! Not to say that I hope you don't do well, just that I want to be in the first hundred.... I don't know. I'm all confused now. Good Luck!:animlol: :animlol:

mustang26
08-02-2007, 15:06
In for a penny, in for a pound. Just upgraded from platinum to Charter Life Membership. Great Idea, Eric.

succo
08-02-2007, 15:47
In this moment finished my lifetime-Membership....
Happy to have such a lot of information and glock-friends.

Best Regards to all,
Ralf

succo
08-02-2007, 15:54
Hi Eric,

I don't know what happens, but I've got a receipt by PayPal (allready paid by Credit Card) and in your Online-Store is still my Order in waiting-position, there was no way to link between the payment and my user-name. Or I missed it. Can you please tell me how to continue?

THX, Ralf

SS Dangit!
08-02-2007, 16:01
Originally posted by succo
Hi Eric,

I don't know what happens, but I've got a receipt by PayPal (allready paid by Credit Card) and in your Online-Store is still my Order in waiting-position, there was no way to link between the payment and my user-name. Or I missed it. Can you please tell me how to continue?

THX, Ralf

Same thing happened to me. PM Eric with the Pay Pal receipt info and then be patient (although I wasn't) and he'll get you covered. Took about 24 hours for me.

I think this "membership drive" has resulted in an avalanche of extra work for Mr Wizard. :wavey:

succo
08-02-2007, 16:08
@ SSDANGIT

Thank you, I sent a mail to Eric with the PayPal-Statement and will be patient now.

Regards,
Ralf

SS Dangit!
08-02-2007, 16:15
Originally posted by succo
@ SSDANGIT

Thank you, I sent a mail to Eric with the PayPal-Statement and will be patient now.

Regards,
Ralf

No worries! Glad I could help.:thumbsup:

SeriousStudent
08-02-2007, 16:27
In for a Gold. I will try to upgrade to a Platinum after payday.

Thanks for a great board. :wavey:

Moonfish
08-02-2007, 16:49
Originally posted by SS Dangit!
Same thing happened to me. PM Eric with the Pay Pal receipt info and then be patient (although I wasn't) and he'll get you covered. Took about 24 hours for me.

I think this "membership drive" has resulted in an avalanche of extra work for Mr Wizard. :wavey:

Mine still shows pending as well (Order #1433 (Pending))... Just sent Eric a PM... thanks.

Letner
08-02-2007, 16:51
Is there a reason why my membership order status still says "pending" after 3 days shouldn't it be completed by now?

Edited: Order Number: 1302

BCarver
08-02-2007, 18:17
Eric,
I just bought one of the Charter Life Memberships. There's now one less to sell!!!

Thanks,
Bobby Carver

UpeoWaMacho
08-02-2007, 18:50
Eric,

Yet another charter lifetime comin' your way through Paypal!

Cory

desertdisciple
08-02-2007, 19:11
Eric, I'm in!
:yourock:

(actually, it posted on my paypal @ about 3:45 this afternoon).

Glad to be in a position to do so and am looking forward to the fresh look and cool options of membership!

* Also glad there will always free use availability, as many enjoy the awesome GT forums...
but may not be in a position to support financially.
Seems like a win-win.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

GLOCK ON!

-desertdisciple
...aka Mike

texasbatman
08-02-2007, 19:54
$250 for a great cause.

Jim

rfenster
08-02-2007, 19:56
Wow, only eight left?

Looks like that check I dropped of yesterday at the post office isn't going to make it on time.

Eric
08-02-2007, 20:02
Originally posted by rfenster
Wow, only eight left?

Looks like that check I dropped of yesterday at the post office isn't going to make it on time.

I am going to give all of the orders paid for by check a couple of weeks for payment to arrive, before I open those memberships back up for sale. It would be right for me to expect everyone paying by check to get it here overnight. Don't sweat it. Thanks for the support. Eric

thisone
08-02-2007, 20:02
Eric

I am glad that I am in a position to help, thanks
for keeping a great, informative site going.

What a great opportunity to be a Charter Lifetime Member.

:motorcycle:

crew
08-02-2007, 20:08
Pm Sent

BanzaiWRX
08-02-2007, 20:18
Eric, can you post a list of the Plat members?
maybe in the order we all signed up?
maybe having that as a second custom title would be neat.

Warp
08-02-2007, 20:27
Originally posted by BanzaiWRX
Eric, can you post a list of the Plat members?
maybe in the order we all signed up?
maybe having that as a second custom title would be neat.

IIRC every paying member will get a logo, symbol, title, etc. Something to ID your membership level.

Short Cut
08-02-2007, 20:57
Always glad to help you help us, Eric. I've gotten a lot of valuable information, laughs and met some great folks all because of Glock Talk over the years.

Keep up the great work! :patriot:

Proud to be a CLM. :thumbsup:

GlockAndSHPEELE
08-02-2007, 21:50
Wait, are you saying we cannot get a CLM now, with 8 left??

You said that you will hold on those (are those the 8 memberships left) memberships until 2 weeks for checks to arrive?

If this is not the case, then will you actually have more than 100 CLM once these 8 are gone (due to the extra checks).

Or is it that there are 8 left of let's say 80 and you reserved 20 for checks, and once 2 weeks pass, then you will accept whatever is left to make 100?

Confused here...how many memberships will there be/are there?

Thanks.

Warp
08-02-2007, 21:56
Originally posted by GlockAndSHPEELE
Wait, are you saying we cannot get a CLM now, with 8 left??

You said that you will hold on those (are those the 8 memberships left) memberships until 2 weeks for checks to arrive?

If this is not the case, then will you actually have more than 100 CLM once these 8 are gone (due to the extra checks).

Or is it that there are 8 left of let's say 80 and you reserved 20 for checks, and once 2 weeks pass, then you will accept whatever is left to make 100?

Confused here...how many memberships will there be/are there?

Thanks.

I assume that Eric is counting ALL the CLMs that people have ordered through the shopping cart in the count shown...meaning that if everybody who ordered a CLM and promised to send a money order or check does so the count is correct. If anybody backs out and fails to provide the MO/check then, maybe, a CLM will be available even after the counter at the top reaches zero.

Eric
08-02-2007, 22:01
Folks, please don't over-think this. If the shopping cart will let you buy a CLM, there is still some left. Everyone that paid by check will have two weeks to get payment in and if they don't, their order will be voided and the membership that was on hold for them will be available for someone else to purchase. For what it is worth, there is one membership currently available, as I type this message. There may be more for sale later this month, if everyone doesn't pay for theirs. Eric

Poppa Bear
08-02-2007, 22:02
When you check out you can either pay through Paypal or send a check or MO. He is holding onto those that paid via check until he receives the check. After a couple of weeks any CLM's whose checks do not clear will be put back up for sale.

Poppa Bear
08-02-2007, 22:06
In the time Eric spent typing that reply I'll bet the last one sold. :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin: :banana: :banana:

Eric
08-02-2007, 22:08
Originally posted by Poppa Bear
In the time Eric spent typing that reply I'll bet the last one sold. :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin: :banana: :banana:

Nope, not yet.:supergrin: Eric

GlockAndSHPEELE
08-02-2007, 22:08
Originally posted by Poppa Bear

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

If I order the last one now, will I be guaranteed to be #100, even if money order and check people back out? Please say yes. I want to get this last one.

GlockAndSHPEELE
08-02-2007, 22:12
In the checkout now. Do we really have to fill all that out and create an accountin gift shope or what not, or can I just get to paying...please say last is not yet sold.

GlockAndSHPEELE
08-02-2007, 22:13
As per my new thread created. We're trying to be #100, as I read the icon/avatars will be numbered as such in the order that memberships are sold.

mikey357
08-02-2007, 22:28
Gee, mine went thru PayPal at 5:09 pm EDT...wonder what number I'll get???....mikey357

Eric
08-02-2007, 22:31
As per my new thread created. We're trying to be #100, as I read the icon/avatars will be numbered as such in the order that memberships are sold.

I never said that. I said the number would be assigned in the order that payment was received. If you didn't already buy a CLM, you may have out-smarted yourself. The last membership just sold. Barring any unpaid-for orders, the sales are closed. Eric

Poppa Bear
08-02-2007, 22:34
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

This was less than 48 hours total correct?

GlockAndSHPEELE
08-02-2007, 22:37
Oh no!! We probably did.I have shopping cart ready and all of that...dnagit!!!!!

So wait, order that payment is received correct? So the last person that just bought one. Assuming they paid by paypal and went through immediately, are they #100, period, assuming all checks/money orders being waiting on clear? Or are they not #100 in this case, and in fact the last payment that actually clears is #100?

Eric
08-02-2007, 22:43
Oh no!! We probably did.I have shopping cart ready and all of that...dnagit!!!!!

So wait, order that payment is received correct? So the last person that just bought one. Assuming they paid by paypal and went through immediately, are they #100, period, assuming all checks/money orders being waiting on clear? Or are they not #100 in this case, and in fact the last payment that actually clears is #100?

Good grief. What does it matter? I can't even guarantee that exactly 100 memberships sold. If there is anyone(s) that didn't click on the 'Click Here To Continue' link after the Pay Pal part of the transaction, they got charged but their order did not get recorded in the shopping cart. I have a message about that in big read letters, in the check out area of the shopping cart, but people still forget to do so. I am not going to simply blow off the people this happens to though. So, we might end up with 104 CLM's, or 109 CLM's. I don't know exactly how it will shake out and I'm not sure why it is so significant. Eric

GlockAndSHPEELE
08-02-2007, 22:43
Sorry:sad:

I actually get it now.:thumbsup:

saspic
08-02-2007, 22:45
I don't know why one would even put a quantity limit on the number of Charter Memberships available. It would seem to make more sense to put a time limit on them. e.g. Charter Memberships could be available until August 31st, with the final number determined by the number of people willing to pay $250 by then.
Sure the group of Charter members would not seem as exclusive right now, but there would be more capital to upgrade and maintain the site, which is the point. Plus as time goes by, more and more people who missed this opportunity will join the Glocktalk family, and Charter membership will eventually gain in prestige.
I personally do not suscribe to the maxim of Genghis Khan: "It is not enough that I succeed; all others must fail.":hugs:
P.S. I checked out online and mailed my $250 in today.