Life time membership? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Life time membership?

pugman
07-30-2007, 18:55
Eric, any thoughts on this?

Eric
07-30-2007, 18:57
I hadn't thought about that, but it is an interesting idea. What is everyone's thoughts on this? Eric

HerrGlock
07-30-2007, 18:58
You know there are those of us who will chip in whenever there's a need, so keep it below about $500 or let us make payments as in easy life. Would ya? :supergrin:

KYMike
07-30-2007, 19:22
Fantastic idea!!

This would represent a good bit of cash, but also show a sign of commitment to the cause. Perhaps only offer this option now. One set amount as a "Founding Member" type thing.

This would probably represent a LARGE influx of cash now, when you need it most. Then the new/renewal annual dues of other members will be spread out later to cover continuing and recurring costs....

Just thinking out loud...

--Mike

Norman
07-30-2007, 19:25
I think Life memberships are actually a very good idea. And the founding member thing is neat too.

I just hope the new vbulletin upgrade will not reduce the "readability" of the site. I can't stand being on AR-15 for more than a few minutes because of the design and layout. This place is easy on the eyes, and I hope it remains so. That's a big thing for me.

gwalchmai
07-30-2007, 19:31

seanmac45
07-30-2007, 19:34
I would be interested to hear the price.

Just so long as the funds I just paid for a Platinum Membership are applicable.:thumbsup:

seanmac45
07-30-2007, 19:48
A quick suggestion.

Lifetime Memberships; available until August 15th ONLY!!

Priced at $125, the memberships would be unique, ensure plank-owner status to the members, and also provide a quick boost to the cash flow situation.

Married couples, price them at $150.

The only people with lifetime memberships would be those who ponied up and showed faith in the board before the new membership benefits are up and running.

KYMike
07-30-2007, 19:54
Originally posted by seanmac45
A quick suggestion.

Priced at $125, the memberships would be unique, ensure plank-owner status to the members, and also provide a quick boost to the cash flow situation.

The only people with lifetime memberships would be those who ponied up and showed faith in the board before the new membership benefits are up and running.

Now THAT's good....reasonable yet sizeable...and before the 15th really is showing faith.... Much higher, and we would price a LOT of people right out of helping in this particular way, killing the initial cash influx idea.

HerrGlock
07-30-2007, 19:58
Originally posted by seanmac45
A quick suggestion.

I could go with that :supergrin:

Even if the current membership price doesn't roll over. Can I bequeath the one I just got to someone who cannot afford one right now?

zoyter2
07-30-2007, 20:04
Originally posted by HerrGlock
I could go with that :supergrin:

Even if the current membership price doesn't roll over. Can I bequeath the one I just got to someone who cannot afford one right now?

I would be willing to do that also. But at $125, that really cuts Eric out of a bunch of bucks over the next few years.

ANeat
07-30-2007, 20:07
Originally posted by Norman

I just hope the new vbulletin upgrade will not reduce the "readability" of the site. I can't stand being on AR-15 for more than a few minutes because of the design and layout. This place is easy on the eyes, and I hope it remains so. That's a big thing for me.

Agree 100% with that, a bad setup like AR15 would be terrible:shocked:

Dalton Wayne
07-30-2007, 20:23
I would go for the lifer thing for a buck and a quarter just let me know before Friday when I send my funds out for platinum or make it upgradeable
Regards
DW

ax157
07-30-2007, 20:27
Originally posted by ANeat
Agree 100% with that, a bad setup like AR15 would be terrible:shocked:

+100

Please don't change the color scheme or format of glocktalk.

Eric
07-30-2007, 21:08
Originally posted by Norman
I think Life memberships are actually a very good idea. And the founding member thing is neat too.

I'm not doing any body work, just changing the engine. The site will look more or less like it does now when I get done, but with new features and functionality. Eric

Usingmyrights
07-30-2007, 21:22
What about a 3yr member option? It would be the balance between lifetime and yearly? Personally I think the $125 lifetime might be a little low. With a 3yr option it could be an automatice platinum membership, and be priced at $150. Thats $90 off 3 seperate year memberships, so its basically a year +$10 for for free.

Tim13
07-30-2007, 22:34
Lifetime memberships are good for the members, but bad for the site. I think that a yearly fee allows a more secure income stream over the years, versus a temporary spike with life memberships now, and then a trickle off in a year or two as the lifers aren't renewing.

Tim

pugman
07-31-2007, 04:38
Since I posted it, I will chime in.

First, IMO, $125 is a bit low if $80 is an annual. Second, I would hate to see Eric have to deal with payment plans simply from the administrative headaches aspect alone--I can't imagine the PITA of trying to "collect" money from members.

I'm not a member of the NRA--what are their lifetime memberships run? I understand they may offer other benefits that Eric can't, but it would be a gauge.

I definitely like the idea of a "founding" member (although its a bit misleading considering the site's run).

My mind first jumped to $500 when I suggested this, but then thought you might price out people who really would like to donate this amount of cash, but simply don't have the means. Maybe if previous donations counted towards this. Again of course, I have no idea how Eric monitors/tracks contributions and would want to make sure again this isn't a good idea which turns into a SHTF type situation.

Then of course, I thought of the gimmicks he could run--buy 2 years, get the third free, buy 3 years get a free hat, etc. But that just seems cheesy (but would it get money in the door)

What about $250? In the end, its up to Eric. I would hate to seem to be brow-beating him into an amount "I" think is fair.

As for the spike in income now--coming from a finance background--that aspect really falls to Eric. Just because he collects it now, doesn't mean he has to spend it. Depending on how much he collected, it could be set up as an investment to throw off income. But again, I think I'm putting the horse in front of the carriage

HerrGlock
07-31-2007, 05:00
Originally posted by pugman
I would hate to see Eric have to deal with payment plans simply from the administrative headaches aspect alone--I can't imagine the PITA of trying to "collect" money from members.

My thought for that was the same as what Eddie brought up.

With an "over time" payment, Eric doesn't get it all in one shot. Yeah, he ends up with a chunk of change all at once, but what happens three months, a year, two years from now?

He gets decent machines that can handle what's going on now but what about upgrading memory/hard drive, what about hardware failure? Even with maintenance agreements, which cost monthly fees, there's still bills to be met next year, two years from now.

EAJuggalo
07-31-2007, 12:33
Limit the number of Lifetime memberships that are sold. Reading the other threads and seeing the amount of work, time and money that this site takes up and seeing the current hardware upgrades required why not just sell enough of the lifetime memberships to cover the upgrade costs and have a little in the bank. Depending on the price I'm in, I've learned more here in two years than I had in the three years I was in high school.

kirgi08
07-31-2007, 13:20
I would go along with that,it seems like a good Idea.It also would give GT a larger infusion of cash to help Eric get all the things done he needs/wants for the site.:thumbsup: