Special Icon For Those That Buy Membership Before Launch [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Special Icon For Those That Buy Membership Before Launch

Eric
07-30-2007, 19:44
KYMike suggested to me in a PM that I offer a special icon to anyone that buys a membership before the launch. I think it is an outstanding idea. There will of course be member icons for each membership level, but I will create special versions of each icon and the only people who will ever be eligible to have those icons are the people that helped me out and bought their memberships before the launch of the system. It isn't that big a deal now I guess, but it might mean something in another ten years. I was there when...:supergrin: Eric

HerrGlock
07-30-2007, 19:46
Then ya might also wanna get that "founding member" life thingie going :animlol:

KYMike
07-30-2007, 19:48
LOL, I guess that was a given, eh? :banana:

Eric
07-30-2007, 19:49
Originally posted by HerrGlock
Then ya might also wanna get that "founding member" life thingie going :animlol:

:supergrin: I wouldn't know what to charge for it. Does anyone have any ideas? Eric

HerrGlock
07-30-2007, 19:51
Originally posted by Eric
:supergrin: I wouldn't know what to charge for it. Does anyone have any ideas? Eric

Yeah, $500.

Payable as 1, 2, or 5 payments within a year.

If you're going to go off the other tiers, then probably $250 until XXX date would be a worthwhile discount.

seanmac45
07-30-2007, 19:54
My suggestion as posted on the other thread.

Lifetime Memberships; available until August 15th ONLY!!

Priced at $125, the memberships would be unique, ensure plank-owner status to the members, and also provide a quick boost to the cash flow situation.

Married couples, price them at $150.

The only people with lifetime memberships would be those who ponied up and showed faith in the board before the new membership benefits are up and running.

I think $500 is too steep. It will kill the number of sales.

My suggestion of the premium price for a short time will cause more people to get on board early, in my opinion.

Glockdude1
07-30-2007, 20:08
I am now a "Platinum Member" baby!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Mrs. VR
07-30-2007, 20:09
I'd like to see the couples discount, but I'm biased :supergrin:

Eric, i'll be happy to handle those icons for you too, if you'd like.

I know in the shopping area it says you'll have details of what each membership entails by 8/10, but do you have a rough idea yet what the differences are? If you already posted it someplace, feel free to call me and yell. :rollingeyes:

Eddie C.
07-30-2007, 20:12
I think Life memberships will become future albatrosses. Eric is going to need a steady income from this place. Having people pay now and never again defeats that purpose. Let's face it, the hardcore members will be joining the paid tier system. There will be quite a few. Why would Eric cut that source of income off with a one time payment?

Sure, it sounds good now, getting a bunch of money in one lump sum. Down the road a year or two or three when money gets a bit tight, you'll need these hardcore people to still send Eric money. He can't cut off that good source of income.

We had a shooting range down the road that had yearly memberships and lifetime memberships. All the hard core people bought lifetime memberships. Five years down the road the money dried up. The gun range is gone. I think by offering yearly rates at reasonable fees this place will still be going twenty years from now.

Eric needs that yearly income from ALL of us to keep this place going. I don't think he should cut off a significant source of that with lifetime memberships. Let alone at a substantial reduced rate at this time. That would really be shooting himself in the foot.

JMO
Eddie

whitetiger7653
07-30-2007, 20:17
$150 is still to steep for a life membership. You have to think from the business side. What are you giving customers for that much money? A few more pm's big whoop. People aren't just going to hand you money for something they still get for free especially that much money.

For the argument lifers are bad in the long run. That could be so. But it is also up to the mods and admins to bring in new members. As you member database grows your income will. Therefore those lifers won't matter.

seanmac45
07-30-2007, 20:20
Originally posted by Mrs. VR
I'd like to see the couples discount, but I'm biased :supergrin:

I had you two in mind when I suggested it..........

seanmac45
07-30-2007, 20:24
Eddie;

I have contributed three times already. Any time Eric has stated a need a number of us have stepped up to the plate with multiple contributions.

Those are the core members who would pay for the lifetime memberships and I am sure that in times of need they would step up to the plate again.

I have been a life member of the NRA since the day Clinton got elected.

I still contribute yearly.

Maybe I am just weird..................

Dennis in MA
07-30-2007, 20:30
I can see both sides, but $125 for a lifetime of NOT paying $80 or even $40 seems a bit thin. I was assuming only platinum would be life and $500 would be reasonable. That's 5.something years of fees up front.

But I also agree with Eddie - pre-pay is dangerous for a "small" organization like GT.

Let's keep it simple. Heck, I'd drop it to 2 tiers. $40 and $80. Why complicate things any more than necessary?

Eddie C.
07-30-2007, 20:31
Originally posted by seanmac45
Eddie;

I have contributed three times already. Any time Eric has stated a need a number of us have stepped up to the plate with multiple contributions.

Those are the core members who would pay for the lifetime memberships and I am sure that in times of need they would step up to the plate again.

I have been a life member of the NRA since the day Clinton got elected.

I still contribute yearly.

Maybe I am just weird..................

I understand that the core members would kick in money if it was needed badly. That's why Eric started this tier system, so he wouldn't need it badly. He needs a steady flow of money from all of us: the members and the advertisers.

He doesn't like running to members with his hat in his hand. He won't have to if the money comes in steady from all of us.

Eddie;)

KYMike
07-30-2007, 20:50
Originally posted by Eddie C.
Eric needs that yearly income from ALL of us to keep this place going. I don't think he should cut off a significant source of that with lifetime memberships. Let alone at a substantial reduced rate at this time. That would really be shooting himself in the foot

That's why this was a one-time, do it now or do it never thing.... I think I have a workable solution....

The "lifetime" option gets you silver benefits for a lifetime (along with a special designation). If you want gold/platinum privledges, you kick in another $20 or $40/year. This option is ONLY good until 8/15, ne'er to return. Initial cash-dump...AND sustained cash flow from the hard-core users.....

Dalton Wayne
07-30-2007, 20:51
I like the idea of a special icon for those of us that pre pay I don't see a problem with the Aug 15th cut off date for a life paid tier I don't think it would have that big an effect on further paid tiers there are new people signing on everyday the life thing would be a bigger draw for those of us who have been here with Glocktalk from the beginning...

Usingmyrights
07-30-2007, 20:52
KYs has a good idea. Don't want to put too much on Eric at once though. We could let him get the yearly memberships up and running then worry about a lifetime.

Tim13
07-30-2007, 22:44
I agree with Eddie. A lifetime option is a bad idea for the future income needed to run this site.

If Eric is hell bent on offering one, then the absolute minimum cost needs to be $800, and preferably $1200. That is 10 years and 15 years worth of the top membership. These are more realistic lifetime memberships, and not just another way to save a buck by buying in at a low price.

Tim

Eric
07-30-2007, 22:53
Originally posted by Tim13
I agree with Eddie. A lifetime option is a bad idea for the future income needed to run this site.

If Eric is hell bent on offering one, then the absolute minimum cost needs to be $800, and preferably $1200. That is 10 years and 15 years worth of the top membership. These are more realistic lifetime memberships, and not just another way to save a buck by buying in at a low price.

Tim

I am thinking about this: It will take a little over $12k to replace the database server and replace the other equipment that needs replacing. I am considering offering a limited number of lifetime memberships (Called founding member or some such). This will be a one-time offer. There may or may not be a lifetime membership option in the future, but these will be unique. If they all sell, these memberships will cover equipment costs and the other funds raised will be able to catch up bills and become the site's future operating capital. If they don't all sell, I will offer the unpaid-for memberships in a drawing following the grand opening of the new system. We can also set several aside to give to deserving people that members here could nominate. If they all sell, I will make an additional ten or fifteen available for the two purposes I just mentioned.

If it works out, perhaps we will offer a limited number of lifetime memberships annually to cover recurring equipment costs. I agree with Eddie about having an open-ended lifetime membership option though. This would be a good comprmosie. What do you all think? Eric

Tim13
07-30-2007, 23:18
Well, in any event, I hope that Eric works out a good plan for keeping the site alive. We almost lost www.surplusrifle.com this year, and it'd be a shame to lose GT.

I realize that the pay to play set up is a done deal, but it is possible to avoid that whole scenario. A prime example is www.avsim.com . I'd be that they use more bandwidth in one month, then GT does in a year. The file library over there alone has over 100,000 files, and they average just about 500,000 MB of bandwidth a day with file downloads. The difference, I think, is the way that Avsim is set up. It is literally a corporation. There is a board of directors, CEO, etc... all the way down to a chaplain. None of these are paid positions, just interested long time members that have a vested interest in running the site. The site is still free to everyone, is self sustaining.

Tim

Doc Holliday
07-31-2007, 07:28
Originally posted by Tim13
then the absolute minimum cost needs to be $800, and preferably $1200.

$800??? $1200??? That's way too high. You'll be cutting out a lot of users at those prices.

I can see paying $200 for a 'Founding Member' lifetime price, and also offer yearly signups for $20. Better to bring everyone on board than just the Hiltons.

Oh, by the way, make sure we all get our 'GlockTalk' membership ID cards, so we can get the gunshop, range, hotel and airline discounts, too.... :tongueout:

vote Republican
07-31-2007, 07:29
Sell Glock Inc a sponsorship for $1 million, heck, you could even put their name on the site, and a big picture of one of their pistols near the top... have forums about their guns...

:clown:

lcarreau
07-31-2007, 08:39
I like the special icon for pre-launch subscribers and I fond of the couple's discount too, but I agree with Eddie on the life subscribers. The core folks will continue to give. Some folks might buy the life membership and feel due certain entitlements that could cause Eric and others grief down the road.

-Lonnie

pops572
07-31-2007, 09:04
Originally posted by KYMike
That's why this was a one-time, do it now or do it never thing.... I think I have a workable solution....

The "lifetime" option gets you silver benefits for a lifetime (along with a special designation). If you want gold/platinum privledges, you kick in another $20 or $40/year. This option is ONLY good until 8/15, ne'er to return. Initial cash-dump...AND sustained cash flow from the hard-core users.....

I really like this idea. And Eric says 12K for upgrade, so offer 100 initial lifers at $125 a pop with the additional $20/40 upgrade yearly to gold/platinum tier. If all the lifers sell that takes care of the initial upgrade.

Glockdude1
07-31-2007, 09:08
Originally posted by pops572
I really like this idea. And Eric says 12K for upgrade, so offer 100 initial lifers at $125 a pop with the additional $20/40 upgrade yearly to gold/platinum tier. If all the lifers sell that takes care of the initial upgrade.

Currently there are 73,315 GT members. If each of us only gave Eric $1 each, that would pay for all of the servers for the next 20 years.

;)

Razoreye
07-31-2007, 09:24
Originally posted by Glockdude1
Currently there are 73,315 GT members. If each of us only gave Eric $1 each, that would pay for all of the servers for the next 20 years.

;) Consider that most are probably bots/one time readers/trolls/banned/etc. you're number crunch probably wouldn't work too well. How many are active? (At least one visit a year.)

I was just about to buy a membership but I want to hear more details on this "lifer" stuff first. I agree with Eddie but I want to hold out for a little bit today.

HerrGlock
07-31-2007, 09:28
Originally posted by Razoreye
Consider that most are probably bots/one time readers/trolls/banned/etc. you're number crunch probably wouldn't work too well. How many are active? (At least one visit a year.)

I was just about to buy a membership but I want to hear more details on this "lifer" stuff first. I agree with Eddie but I want to hold out for a little bit today.

Get a membership and then donate that one should the lifer (and a cup of coffee with it) comes to be.

Razoreye
07-31-2007, 09:40
Originally posted by HerrGlock
Get a membership and then donate that one should the lifer (and a cup of coffee with it) comes to be. Well, I certainly can't let you one up me. :supergrin:

HerrGlock
07-31-2007, 09:56
Originally posted by Razoreye
Well, I certainly can't let you one up me. :supergrin:

:shocked: :wavey: :supergrin:

Rinspeed
07-31-2007, 10:48
Originally posted by Eric
If it works out, perhaps we will offer a limited number of lifetime memberships annually to cover recurring equipment costs. I agree with Eddie about having an open-ended lifetime membership option though. This would be a good comprmosie. What do you all think? Eric

I would most likely be interested.

SomeDay
08-01-2007, 22:33
Originally posted by Glockdude1

;)

Subtract the non-active members, the trolls, those that don't have the resources to pay, and the ones who wont' do it on principle and I'm sure that you are left with a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller number. Any idea how many are actually active?

Glockdude1
08-02-2007, 15:37
Originally posted by SomeDay
Any idea how many are actually active?

I'll bet Eric knows!!!

fyrfytrcwd
08-02-2007, 20:24
I agree with the tiered membership system, as well as the annual premium to get more benefits. My only issue right now is things are tight. I'm up with the Platinum for now, hopefully we'll all be able to keep it up annualy. Great job, Eric!

barmen9122
08-07-2007, 13:48
Originally posted by vote Republican
Sell Glock Inc a sponsorship for $1 million, heck, you could even put their name on the site, and a big picture of one of their pistols near the top... have forums about their guns...

:clown:

I agree with this. I'm really surprised someone from Glock has not contacted you and offered a chunk of cash and a big ol' THANKS for furthing Glock knowledge to the everyday person and for some pretty big advertisement for the Glock brand name FREE.

SawDuster
08-07-2007, 19:32
I agree that Glock should pony up on some help.
I bought two Glocks because of this site.

I am still considering the paid membership.
I have a few other items to take care of first.

:cowboy: :lv702: