What about donating.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What about donating....

KYMike
07-30-2007, 19:45
...1% of all paid memberships to the NRA.

I know, I know...but hear me out. It would represent a small portion of the dues ($0.40-$0.80 per person per year), so it wouldn't really hurt Eric, the forum, et al. BUT, when you add all that up, it would be a sizeable donation to the NRA. We have a ginormous group here...let's take our size and power and use a tiny portion of it to help defend our rights.

I'd hate for 2009 to come and this be the place to come talk about the good old days when you used-to-could own a gun!!

What do you think?

--Mike

Eric
07-30-2007, 19:52
Originally posted by KYMike
...1% of all paid memberships to the NRA.

I know, I know...but hear me out. It would represent a small portion of the dues ($0.40-$0.80 per person per year), so it wouldn't really hurt Eric, the forum, et al. BUT, when you add all that up, it would be a sizeable donation to the NRA. We have a ginormous group here...let's take our size and power and use a tiny portion of it to help defend our rights.

I'd hate for 2009 to come and this be the place to come talk about the good old days when you used-to-could own a gun!!

What do you think?

--Mike

I've given this some thought as well. I am thinking of donating a percentage of everything raised and making it available to a variety of purposes. Paid members would elect some sort of steering committee to suggest worthy causes for the funds and paid members would periodically vote on the ideas. It will take a bit of groundwork to set this up, but it will be worth it. Eric

HerrGlock
07-30-2007, 19:56
Originally posted by Eric
Paid members would elect some sort of steering committee to suggest worthy causes for the funds and paid members would periodically vote on the ideas.

BAD idea. Inside bickering. "No, I don't think they're really supportive of us" "I think they're too far (right, left, off kilter) "You didn't include my favorite gun organization" It'll kill the entire spirit of the idea.

If you want it to go to (NRA, JPFO, 2d Amend Sisters, whoever) make the decision and keep it.

If, at another point there becomes another possibility, THEN start opening it up for discussion. You'll see it be generally agreeable at first then dissolve into bickering and people quitting in a huff.

BEANCOUNTER
07-30-2007, 21:02
:agree:

It is a nice thought, but I'm afraid this idea might turn into one of those "no good deed goes unpunished" situations.

jetboatdriver
07-31-2007, 12:14
Other organizations have mechanisms in place to raise funds. GT fills a purpose in the whole segment of gun related issues and needs the cash to operate.

I personally do not like sending money for one thing and then having someone else send it to a third party for lobbying efforts, even if I agree with the message.

Keep the money here. We have all have seen the requests before and I donated twice plus bought a Plantinum this time. Keep the money, even if yoiu do not need it all right now, a nest egg that earns interest is beneficial to the long term survival of this forum.

Shotgunner
08-01-2007, 00:51
I don't want to join a paid membership. But I would like to send some money to eric from time to time. Is there a paypal account or something similar I can contribute to?

HerrGlock
08-01-2007, 02:45
Originally posted by Shotgunner
I don't want to join a paid membership. But I would like to send some money to eric from time to time. Is there a paypal account or something similar I can contribute to?

Go to the shopping cart. Click on the same link as the paid membership deal and look around at the store. One of the items is "donations $1" You can put as many of those as you care to put and then check out.