Want to donate; don't want a paid membership [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Want to donate; don't want a paid membership

Pima Pants
07-30-2007, 21:54
I have been trying unsuccessfully to donate to Eric for support of the site. I have no interest in a paid tier membership but just want to throw $20 his way. I apparently can't do this without also purchasing a membership due to the way the "shopping cart" page is set up; anything I want to donate gets added to a paid tier membership. Any advice?

Chad Landry
07-30-2007, 21:56
Post it in the "Paid Membership System" forum.

PeterJasonMN
07-30-2007, 21:57
http://shop.glocktalk.com/product_info.php/cPath/7/products_id/19

Select a qty of 20.

Hit "Add to cart"

Pima Pants
07-30-2007, 22:14
Nope. It keeps adding either a Silver or Gold membership, even if I delete that particular item.

Eric
07-30-2007, 22:17
Originally posted by Pima Pants
Nope. It keeps adding either a Silver or Gold membership, even if I delete that particular item.

The shopping cart do that. It must already be in your shopping cart. If you remove it, it should stay gone. If you continue to have trouble with it, please email me at webmaster@glocktalk.com . I'll look into it for you. I am going to move this to the Paid Tier forum, in case anyone else is having a similar problem. Eric

Doc Holliday
07-30-2007, 22:29
Donated when I first signed up, but never got my cool 'contributor' logo.

:sad:

That's alright, though, I am just happy to support the board and all the info we get from here... :thumbsup:

Pima Pants
07-31-2007, 02:01
Thanks Eric. I will keep trying.

Ken

Mrs. VR
07-31-2007, 07:41
Originally posted by 360
Donated when I first signed up, but never got my cool 'contributor' logo.

:sad:

That's alright, though, I am just happy to support the board and all the info we get from here... :thumbsup: no clue what you mean :innocent:

Pima Pants
07-31-2007, 12:21
Success! Paypal inbound to Eric.

Ken

Timmah!
08-03-2007, 11:39
I have no interest in paid tier membership to any internet forum...now hear me out before you light up torches and chase me up a bell tower.

The problem I have with this is the "tier" part. I'm also against the "Contributor" icons, by the way, and for the same reason: it's elitist. For that matter, what purpose does a public post count or join date serve? One of the things I like best about participating in this type of community is that everyone is theoretically equal (well, except for the yourself & The Mod Squad, of course). I am concerned that "Contributor" icons and public touting of membership levels will promote the establishment of an unwritten hierarchy, a "food chain", if you like. In many important ways, an internet community is not unlike any other community; defined class distinctions and status "badges" inevitably encourage elitism and create "cliques". Dollars to donuts, it will happen, it always does. Look at the responses we're already seeing, very many folks are making it clear even before they purchase their membership, that it's important to them to publicly announce their level.

I, for one, don't need any badges or labels. I don't want to be the internet equivalent of a "Jock", "Freak", "Geek", "Pothead", "Nerd", "Suck-up", etc. etc. I'm quite happy to be known simply as Timmah! We already toss around the terms "Newbie" and "Troll" way too often for my taste, in many cases, it's not even factually accurate. It IS possible to have an honest disgreement with someone without being either a stupid newbie or troll.

I fear there will come a time when the "Charts" (Charter Members) and "Platties" (Platinums) will come to dominate the open forums. Think about it, cliques can be very intimidating to the new folks in ANY community. There are quite a few other forums that I don't even bother with because, God forbid, you should disagree with one of the annointed veterans (and that's without any explicit member distinctions).
Eric, please do not take this as me pissing in your corn flakes. I don't know how to run an internet forum, and you clearly do. But I know people, so I worry about what will happen with the addition of what amounts to member "Rank". I'd be more interested in just making GT "Read Only" for the public, but charging flat rate membership dues if you want "Write Access"(?) That way, new folks could still see how great GT is (incentive to join up, and Ads still publicly visible), but once inside, you're a simple "citizen", no more, no less.

I don't know, maybe I've just been on the "wrong side of the line" too many times...both here at GT, and in life. Again, don't misunderstand me; I appreciate GT and the work that you put into it. I'm more than happy to help with the bills, and will do so. You can call it a donation, though. Frankly, I don't want to see all the cool member's only perks that a poor guy won't see, I'd surely miss it if I couldn't afford it later.

I realize that what I have said may not go over well with some, and I also realize that even if by some oratory miracle, I've changed your mind, it's too late to scrap the idea. Anyway, at the end of the day, I AM on your side here...if this is what it takes to keep GT running, then so be it, I'll happily write checks when I can. Please take what I have said as it was intended, I only offer my opinions because you said you were looking for comments.

Timmah!

HerrGlock
08-03-2007, 11:45
Originally posted by Timmah!
I have no interest in paid tier membership to any internet forum.

So, don't participate. He's said time and again posting and reading will remain free to use.

Eric
08-03-2007, 11:55
I have no interest in paid tier membership to any internet forum...now hear me out before you light up torches and chase me up a bell tower.

The problem I have with this is the "tier" part. I'm also against the "Contributor" icons, by the way, and for the same reason: it's elitist. For that matter, what purpose does a public post count or join date serve? One of the things I like best about participating in this type of community is that everyone is theoretically equal (well, except for the yourself & The Mod Squad, of course). I am concerned that "Contributor" icons and public touting of membership levels will promote the establishment of an unwritten hierarchy, a "food chain", if you like. In many important ways, an internet community is not unlike any other community; defined class distinctions and status "badges" inevitably encourage elitism and create "cliques". Dollars to donuts, it will happen, it always does. Look at the responses we're already seeing, very many folks are making it clear even before they purchase their membership, that it's important to them to publicly announce their level.

I, for one, don't need any badges or labels. I don't want to be the internet equivalent of a "Jock", "Freak", "Geek", "Pothead", "Nerd", "Suck-up", etc. etc. I'm quite happy to be known simply as Timmah! We already toss around the terms "Newbie" and "Troll" way too often for my taste, in many cases, it's not even factually accurate. It IS possible to have an honest disgreement with someone without being either a stupid newbie or troll.

I fear there will come a time when the "Charts" (Charter Members) and "Platties" (Platinums) will come to dominate the open forums. Think about it, cliques can be very intimidating to the new folks in ANY community. There are quite a few other forums that I don't even bother with because, God forbid, you should disagree with one of the annointed veterans (and that's without any explicit member distinctions).
Eric, please do not take this as me pissing in your corn flakes. I don't know how to run an internet forum, and you clearly do. But I know people, so I worry about what will happen with the addition of what amounts to member "Rank". I'd be more interested in just making GT "Read Only" for the public, but charging flat rate membership dues if you want "Write Access"(?) That way, new folks could still see how great GT is (incentive to join up, and Ads still publicly visible), but once inside, you're a simple "citizen", no more, no less.

I don't know, maybe I've just been on the "wrong side of the line" too many times...both here at GT, and in life. Again, don't misunderstand me; I appreciate GT and the work that you put into it. I'm more than happy to help with the bills, and will do so. You can call it a donation, though. Frankly, I don't want to see all the cool member's only perks that a poor guy won't see, I'd surely miss it if I couldn't afford it later.

I realize that what I have said may not go over well with some, and I also realize that even if by some oratory miracle, I've changed your mind, it's too late to scrap the idea. Anyway, at the end of the day, I AM on your side here...if this is what it takes to keep GT running, then so be it, I'll happily write checks when I can. Please take what I have said as it was intended, I only offer my opinions because you said you were looking for comments.

Timmah!

Timmah! , did you see the stickied message I posted concerning the purpose of this forum? The one that said to read before posting here? If you do not want to participate, that is your right. The time for debate about this is past though. This forum is here for people who want to move forward with this system, not those that want to talk about why they don't like it. Eric

Timmah!
08-03-2007, 12:40
Originally posted by HerrGlock
So, don't participate. He's said time and again posting and reading will remain free to use.
Understood, my stated concern is NOT with posting and reading, but the possible effects of instituting levels of membership. I thought I had made that pretty clear. Let me ask you, what is the point of your response? You seem frustrated or annoyed, is this true? If so, may I ask why?

IIRC, Eric has said also said time and again that he welcomes comments as long as they're constructive and honest, not just a rant. Well, I have met those conditions. I gave my honest opinion, and only after Eric explicitly asked for comments. There have been many other issues at GT that have been addressed by Eric where he has made it clear that comments were neither required nor welcomed. In those cases, I have kept my opinions to myself. It seems to me, that when you do as someone asks, you should be OK.

If Eric has a problem with that, Eric should probably be the one to communicate that to me.

Timmah!

Timmah!
08-03-2007, 12:50
Originally posted by Eric
Timmah! , did you see the stickied message I posted concerning the purpose of this forum? The one that said to read before posting here? If you do not want to participate, that is your right. The time for debate about this is past though. This forum is here for people who want to move forward with this system, not those that want to talk about why they don't like it. Eric

I have been doing alot of catching up and jumping around at GT, been gone a while, and there's alot to read. Apparently, I screwed up, and missed some important stuff along the way. I meant no harm, and I apologize for any inconvenience.

Geez, way to get back into the pool, Tim. That's it dumbass, piss everyone off, why don't you.:upeyes:

Well Eric, what's bad for me is good for you...now I feel like a real jackass, so I guess now you'll be getting a bigger check.

Timmah!

Eric
08-03-2007, 13:21
I have been doing alot of catching up and jumping around at GT, been gone a while, and there's alot to read. Apparently, I screwed up, and missed some important stuff along the way. I meant no harm, and I apologize for any inconvenience.

Geez, way to get back into the pool, Tim. That's it dumbass, piss everyone off, why don't you.:upeyes:

Well Eric, what's bad for me is good for you...now I feel like a real jackass, so I guess now you'll be getting a bigger check.

Timmah!

You don't need to feel like a jackass and it was certainly not my intention to make you feel like one. Now that we are proceeding with this, I want to try to keep this forum focused on the steps necessary to make this new system a success. I do understand your concerns and I share them. I am going to do everything I can to make this a positive experience for everyone. Eric

Timmah!
08-03-2007, 13:55
SNIPPED...You don't need to feel like a jackass...
Ummm, approximately everyone who has ever met me, and some that haven't, would disagree. I once told my therapist that the world hated me, but he assures me that there are probably a few smaller, more remote countries that are "Tim Neutral". :sad:

SNIPPED...it was certainly not my intention to make you feel like one.
Thanks, Eric. It's appreciated. Like I said, I've been on "the wrong side of the line" quite often.

SNIPPED...I do understand your concerns and I share them. I figured from your typical manner of speech that you'd at least understand what I was saying, and I had hoped you'd recognize the potential problem. I would hate to see us at GT get all snooty and self-important, those boards are no fun, and in many cases, they're not very helpful, either.

Thanks for being cool about my mistake,
Tim (Timmah!)

HerrGlock
08-03-2007, 14:25
I would hate to see us at GT get all snooty and self-important, those boards are no fun, and in many cases, they're not very helpful, either.

Quite honestly I know exactly what you mean but from what I've seen with this crowd, it is a bit different. That's one of the reasons a lot of us hang out here and not elsewhere :supergrin:

I've said in either this or another thread that it wouldn't bother me a bit if no icons were given or if people started getting snooty with them and Eric decided to take them away.

But, if we're a-gonna get 'em, might as well get the one ya paid for, eh?

What was the original topic of this thread again? :animlol: