Storing a cheapo pistol under the seat? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Storing a cheapo pistol under the seat?

DaisyCutter
07-30-2007, 23:15
I've considered several times storing a pistol under the seat of my bike. I'd likely choose something cheap and small, like a Makarov.

Is it a realistic safety precaution, since I really couldn't access it "fast"? FWIW, I have a CCW permit, so there's no legal issue.

Tennessee Slim
07-31-2007, 05:58
Leaving it under the seat gives you better odds than leaving it in the dresser drawer.

wolfy692005
07-31-2007, 13:47
i am not exactly sure what voltage does or doesnt do to firearms but i think most bikes have the battery under the seat right???
just a thought

J.R. Bob Dobbs
07-31-2007, 13:57
I don't carry when I ride, because I don't want a gun beating my ribs or hip in a fall, also I wear proper fitting zip-together leathers which don't leave room for one. I really don't like going around unarmed.

I suppose under-the-seat might be helpful in the situation where you're approaching the parked bike and some scumbag starts taking an interest in you. Once on the bike, you can usually get away from trouble even in stopped heavy traffic.

Still I might also consider adding a cheap pistol under the seat....heck the ZRX has room enough for a shortened long-gun!

stmcelroy
07-31-2007, 18:32
I always carry in my magnetic tank bag, then when I reach my destination casual switch my S&W 340PD into my right front pocket.

I try not to leave home without at least my little S&W pocket rocket.:supergrin:

Steve

ndbullet500
08-01-2007, 15:31
Why not just carry them normally? I was on my way to the range when a lady pulled out....WHACK!

Sig 232 in Fobus OWB under leather jacket.
Kel-Tec P32 in front pocket holster (I think in my jacket, maybe jeans).

Other than looking like Poncho Villa afterwards laying there in the street, it wasn't too bad. The Fobus (one of the more recent ones with a metal reinforcing bar at the rivets and a rubber insert on the paddle) retained the Sig just fine. Even though the holster has some obvious road rash, the pistol was not damaged at all. That is normally just my range holster, but I was pleased with it to the point that I hold it in higher regard now.

The Kel-Tec was also fine and in the holster as placed before collision. Other than mentioning that there was a gun on my hip when I was still laid out in the middle of the road, it was no big deal. I don't think the cops even asked for my permit when they returned the cleared firearms after I was able to get to my feet.

Carlitos
08-02-2007, 16:42
Normal carry w/ a CCW is your best option. BUT - if anyone insists on under the seat gun, the Makaroz is a good choice. Design is loosely based on Walther PPK; of course all the 1911 fans will now howl (1911 is not cheap) and the Mak caliber, while underpowered, is better than nothing. Try Cor Bon ammo

DaisyCutter
08-02-2007, 17:22
I do carry IWB most of the time, but sometimes I go places where I can't take the gun... and I'm not savvy 'bout tossing the Kimber or Glock under the seat.

ndbullet500
08-03-2007, 09:07
Good point about the high $ firearms.

There are two pistols that I personally own that I would consider for your purpose. Both should be easily available for $150 or less in VG condition.

1. CZ-52 (7.62x25) loaded with Wold Golf JHPs. A 1600 fps JHP...I think that would be adequate for most purposes. It is almost the size of a 1911 though. It is a robust and reliable design with few significant weaknesses other than brittle original firing pins that shouldn't be dry-fired and a decocker that has a reputation for being an extra trigger (although it functions perfectly on my 1953 & 1954, nor have I ever broken a firing pin for that matter).

2. F.E.G. PA-63 (9mm Mak). Much less powerful than a CZ-52. A copy of a Walther PPK, a $15 sping swap for new recoil and hammer springs transforms this little pistol from a hand slapper into a pleasant little shooter, although the DA is still heavy. At distances of 10 yards or less, the stars align for me with this cheap little pistol, and I am more accurate consistanly than with any other handgun. Beyond 10 yards it's not bad, but nothing special. Ball ammo feeds 100% in the two I own, but JHP hangs on the 2nd round on one of them.

I'm sure there are others, but I own these and am familiar with them. As for practical use...well, as already said, it's better than at home, but I suspect most instances where they would be needed are quickly developing and without warning. It would be comforting in a dodgy area with an empty gas tank or flat tire though.

Blitzer
08-03-2007, 10:06
Now millions of perps will be looking under the seats of motor cycles across the U.S.A.!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Car safe (http://www.center-of-mass.com/)

ndbullet500
08-03-2007, 11:13
Originally posted by Blitzer
Now millions of perps will be looking under the seats of motor cycles across the U.S.A.!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :upeyes:

I'm sure the "perps" will all run out and start ripping seats off as soon as they finish reading the "cheapo pistol" thread in the Moto Club forum within the Vehicle Related Forum section of The Club House on Glocktalk. Maybe they will get caught by the po-po. :nailbiting:

I hear a similar crime wave was unleased in the 1930s when Robert Fulton Jr. rode around the world on his Douglass and revealed he had a .38 hidden on the machine. The reissue of his book One Man Caravan also likey caused many Douglass motorcycles to be targeted by perps.

ateamer
08-05-2007, 00:26
:laughabove:

Corso0331
08-08-2007, 20:57
I went down on my bike with my SW 340pd a few years back. The gun was carried at aprrox. 4o'clock IWB. Considering my broken collarbone I really didn't notice if my side hurt from the gun when I fell.

I now carry the same gun but now I keep it zipped in my jacket pocket of my leather jacket. It really doesn't bother me at all in there. I don't care for keeping guns inside my car or my bike. I'd rather keep in on my person.

Stop CPR
08-21-2007, 00:21
I carry a Glock 27 in an ankle holster and forget it is under my chaps and above my boot.

Razoreye
08-21-2007, 16:02
Originally posted by ndbullet500
I'm sure the "perps" will all run out and start ripping seats off as soon as they finish reading the "cheapo pistol" thread in the Moto Club forum within the Vehicle Related Forum section of The Club House on Glocktalk. Maybe they will get caught by the po-po. :nailbiting:

I hear a similar crime wave was unleased in the 1930s when Robert Fulton Jr. rode around the world on his Douglass and revealed he had a .38 hidden on the machine. The reissue of his book One Man Caravan also likey caused many Douglass motorcycles to be targeted by perps. Old thread but PWNT. :supergrin: :rofl:

buddylee28
08-30-2007, 06:50
This works great! Easily one of the best bike accessories I've ever bought.

http://www.sabergear.com/

MikeLadner
08-30-2007, 10:15
Originally posted by buddylee28
This works great! Easily one of the best bike accessories I've ever bought.

http://www.sabergear.com/

That may be the single silliest looking thing I have ever seen.

ddc
09-04-2007, 11:23
[QUOTE]This works great! Easily one of the best bike accessories I've ever bought.

http://www.sabergear.com/QUOTE]

The first thought that came to my mind was that it was basically a politically correct drop leg holster...

buddylee28
09-04-2007, 20:06
Originally posted by ddc
[QUOTE]This works great! Easily one of the best bike accessories I've ever bought.

http://www.sabergear.com/QUOTE]

The first thought that came to my mind was that it was basically a politically correct drop leg holster...

Yep, thats exactly what it is. It might look a little odd to some people but it is comfortable (I hate having crap in my pockets when I ride) and it is big enough to hold a full size handgun - like my G35 with taclight - as well as my phone, wallet, etc. I didn't get the hydration pack they offer, but it would be a good option for long trips.

freakshow10mm
09-05-2007, 10:12
Bersa Thunder .380's are cheap. $150-200 used.

Unbridled Rage
09-08-2007, 03:40
I'd rather carry a cheap .32 inside a jacket pocket than leave a cheap gun on my bike.

I do carry a not-so-cheap Beretta Tomcat in this fashion. It has amortized itself well over time...

Blitzer
09-09-2007, 03:40
Originally posted by ndbullet500

I hear a similar crime wave was unleased in the 1930s when Robert Fulton Jr. rode around the world on his Douglass and revealed he had a .38 hidden on the machine. The reissue of his book One Man Caravan also likey caused many Douglass motorcycles to be targeted by perps.

Sarcasm, ever hear of it?...

...Oh wait it appears you have!

:tongueout: :moonie: :supergrin: :thumbsup:

Oh ya, using a spell checker would make your posts look more coherent too.

:rofl: