Michigan CCW Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Michigan CCW Question

XDHSr
07-31-2007, 19:21
Question for those of you who have already obtained a CCW permit in Michigan. I have heard that some counties do a personal interview. Has anyone gone through that? What do they ask? How long does it take? Just wondering if someone could describe the process, I just took, my class this past weekend and was wondering what to expect when I put in my application.

Thanks for any comments!

JellyBelly
07-31-2007, 23:24
Not Ingham county unless you say you've got some old arrests on your record (as I do).

I still got my permit renewed, though. The arrests were old and they couldn't pull em' up on any system so they wanted to ask me about them. Since they were from the 80's and all misdemeanors it was nothing to them and they happily sent me on my way. The interview took all of five minutes.

I'll probably have to do it every time I renew.

darkside852003
07-31-2007, 23:52
Macomb County has a board meeting once a month to approve your CCW. They ask you the same questions on the application.

Reason for wanting a CCW? Self defense.

Any issues with the law? No. A few other questions, but I can't remember them all.

Then they laminate your CCW there and you’re all set.

gsbell
08-01-2007, 04:32
Kent Co. repeated all the questions that were on the app, I answered. For the renewal I didn't have to go through that charade.

zbusdriver
08-01-2007, 08:17
in wayne county they hand them out like candy.

Glock 19 God
08-02-2007, 01:09
Originally posted by XDHSr
Question for those of you who have already obtained a CCW permit in Michigan. I have heard that some counties do a personal interview. Has anyone gone through that? What do they ask? How long does it take? Just wondering if someone could describe the process, I just took, my class this past weekend and was wondering what to expect when I put in my application.

Thanks for any comments!
My county does that and my meeting is on August 15. After that date I can tell you what it is like. I think it is ridiculous that we have to jump through a hoop like this to get the permit, though.

dabennet
08-02-2007, 08:12
I no longer live in MI, but when I did I resided in Saginaw County. I applied and a while later (I don't remember exactly how long) I recieved notification, almost a subpoena, to appear before the Gun Board at a specific time at the courthouse. I was grilled for a few minutes, mainly the questions on the application, but some that were not. One that I remember is what I would/say do if approached by a LEO while carrying. Now that I live in VA, I didn't have to do any of that.

Dave

john_glock_mi
08-02-2007, 19:26
I'm in Washtenaw county. Was told they only do an interview if there was some criminal offense in the past.

Otherwise they won't call you if your record is clean.

Getwild2
08-04-2007, 10:10
Originally posted by zbusdriver
in wayne county they hand them out like candy.
:laughabove:

In Genesee County there was no interview.

DennisH
08-04-2007, 11:35
In Livingston County I had an interview for my initial CCW back in 2002. That board met monthly. For the renewal it was just go in and pick it up after all the paperwork was checked. I had a State Police detective, a county supervisor, and a county sheriff on my board. They just asked routine questions, that other posters have already cited. Be courteous, present a civil appearance, and all will be well.

douglasd
08-04-2007, 22:13
In some counties it's automatic that you go before the board, in others it's not unless there's a "red flag" on your application or you've had trouble with the law in the past.

I think sometimes they just want to see what you look like.

I mean, if you go in wearing a dirty T-shirt, cut-offs, look like you haven't had a bath in 6 month, and cannot articulate your reason for wanting a CPL, they may have second thoughts on issuing you your license, even though they have to use facts (your record, etc) when deciding to issue your license.

Personally, I would go in with dress pants and a dress shirt on, and have a decent haircut and be as friendly and as articulate as possible. No tie or sport coat, though. That is overkill...looks like you're trying too hard.

Ender
08-04-2007, 22:38
Originally posted by douglasd

I mean, if you go in wearing a dirty T-shirt, cut-offs, look like you haven't had a bath in 6 month, and cannot articulate your reason for wanting a CPL, they may have second thoughts on issuing you your license, even though they have to use facts (your record, etc) when deciding to issue your license.

in Oakland county, it is merely a paperwork issue.

that said, i would LOVE to have my CCW denied because of my appearance, when legally, they cannot use ANY of that in deciding whether or not to issue.

oh, the lawsuit :hearts: ;)

XDHSr
10-12-2007, 19:40
You were right JellyBelly. Got my permit a few weeks ago, with no interview needed. I applied around Labor Day and about three weeks later they sent a notice to come pick it up. Not bad. :)

bassplayer
10-13-2007, 09:24
FWIW Macomb county requires you to go in front of the gun board... silly....

NailShooter
10-14-2007, 16:36
douglasd

In some counties it's automatic that you go before the board, in others it's not unless there's a "red flag" on your application or you've had trouble with the law in the past.

I think sometimes they just want to see what you look like.

I mean, if you go in wearing a dirty T-shirt, cut-offs, look like you haven't had a bath in 6 month, and cannot articulate your reason for wanting a CPL......

You cannot be required to "articulate your reason for wanting a CPL". The requirements are listed on the application form, local boards cannot add any others. If you pass the background check, and fulfill the requirements--as stated on the form--then, they MUST issue the CPL. MI is a "shall issue" state.

Nail

PDogSniper
10-14-2007, 18:37
Originally posted by NailShooter
You cannot be required to "articulate your reason for wanting a CPL". The requirements are listed on the application form, local boards cannot add any others. If you pass the background check, and fulfill the requirements--as stated on the form--then, they MUST issue the CPL. MI is a "shall issue" state.

Nail

True... Here in Berrien County we have to go in front of the Gun Board. They'll ask you if you're up on the gun laws, understand them and such. But they can not ask you why need a carry permit...

PDogSniper
10-14-2007, 18:39
Originally posted by JellyBelly
Not Ingham county unless you say you've got some old arrests on your record (as I do).

I still got my permit renewed, though. The arrests were old and they couldn't pull em' up on any system so they wanted to ask me about them. Since they were from the 80's and all misdemeanors it was nothing to them and they happily sent me on my way. The interview took all of five minutes.

I'll probably have to do it every time I renew.

Somewhere out there there's a list of the mis-demeanors that can keep one from a license... Do you know where it is...?

MakeMineaP99
10-14-2007, 18:49
Originally posted by PDogSniper
Somewhere out there there's a list of the mis-demeanors that can keep one from a license... Do you know where it is...?

Ask and thee shall receive: http://michigan.gov/documents/ri-012_7736_7.pdf

TFin04
10-16-2007, 10:29
Thankfully Washtenaw Country doesn't do the interviews. I would not be too happy to go through that process.

My answer would be somewhere along the lines of "I'm obtaining a CPL because this is a shall-issue state and there is nothing on my record prohibiting me from having one."

Same basic answer that I give for the "why do you want a gun" question. Because I can.

Glock 19 God
10-25-2007, 00:34
I no longer live in MI, but when I did I resided in Saginaw County. I applied and a while later (I don't remember exactly how long) I recieved notification, almost a subpoena, to appear before the Gun Board at a specific time at the courthouse. I was grilled for a few minutes, mainly the questions on the application, but some that were not. One that I remember is what I would/say do if approached by a LEO while carrying. Now that I live in VA, I didn't have to do any of that.

Dave

Be glad that you no longer reside in Saginaw County.

For everyone else reading this........HAVE YOUR CARRY GUN ON YOU WHEN VISITING SAGINAW COUNTY.

This place has become a ceasepool of gangbangers. It is out of control.

Glock 19 God
10-25-2007, 00:35
True... Here in Berrien County we have to go in front of the Gun Board. They'll ask you if you're up on the gun laws, understand them and such. But they can not ask you why need a carry permit...

They cant?

Is that a county law?

That was the first question I was asked when I went to the Gun Board.

They pretty much asked me the same questions on the packet. They also wanted to discuss a police contact I had a few years ago while in high school (MIP involving alcohol that wasnt even mine). Considering I was working daily with the 2 officers on the board, and the representative from the prosecutors office the meeting went pretty smooth. There was another lady on the board that I still to this day have no idea who she was or who she represented.

ddking
11-01-2007, 21:47
I heard a rumor (credible source) that it was Ray Jihad from Target Sports. I hate Target Sports but I am glad he made it safely through the ordeal. I also heard that the BG had his gun pulled already before Jihad pulled his.

RS2
11-01-2007, 22:50
I heard a rumor (credible source) that it was Ray Jihad from Target Sports. I hate Target Sports but I am glad he made it safely through the ordeal. I also heard that the BG had his gun pulled already before Jihad pulled his.

This is the answer to what question?

wizzi01
11-02-2007, 11:11
This is the answer to what question?

Probably the carjacking in front of Beaubian.

Generalcarry
11-03-2007, 04:32
My first permit required an appearance in front of a gun board. For renewals, that procedure was omitted.

That's Macomb County.

bigjim
11-05-2007, 01:31

Interesting. However, all the articles I could find say the would be victim turned hero is a "38 year old Troy man". I would guess Ray was older than that.

If it is him, and he ends up needing an expert witness, he knows Massad Ayoob, so that should come in handy.

JoeDoe22
11-06-2007, 16:17
My first permit required an appearance in front of a gun board. For renewals, that procedure was omitted.

That's Macomb County. What do they ask you in Macomb County?

Generalcarry
11-06-2007, 18:31
All I remember was "why do you want a CPL permit", and "do you now fear for your life". I believe Hackel, Marlinga and someone else I recognized were in attendance.

omega48038
11-14-2007, 21:55
In Macomb County, they asked why I was applying (personal protection is the standard response. don't elaborate), if I was having any specific problem at that time, had I ever been arrested for drugs, domestic violence, or a felony. Asked if I was now or ever been under a PPO. Whole process took about 30 seconds, just be respectful and polite and you'll have nothing to worry about.

freakshow10mm
11-14-2007, 21:58
I got mine in Keweenaw County and the sheriff (Lahti) doesn't make you waste your time. Now I live in Houghton County and the sheriff (McLean) makes you waste your time. I don't know if I have to upon renewal. Is three years down the road.

who_dat
11-16-2007, 16:15
They cant?

Is that a county law?

That was the first question I was asked when I went to the Gun Board.

They pretty much asked me the same questions on the packet. They also wanted to discuss a police contact I had a few years ago while in high school (MIP involving alcohol that wasnt even mine). Considering I was working daily with the 2 officers on the board, and the representative from the prosecutors office the meeting went pretty smooth. There was another lady on the board that I still to this day have no idea who she was or who she represented.

County law cannot preempt state law. They are not supposed to ask you why you want a permit, and Ottawa county didn't ask me. I think that before October (?) of 2006, it may have been different. When did you go before the board?

freakshow10mm
11-16-2007, 20:14
Nope. You don't have to justify why you want one. On my form, it was prefilled "Shall Issue" for the reason. Gotta love Keweenaw County.

Glock 19 God
11-16-2007, 21:26
County law cannot preempt state law. They are not supposed to ask you why you want a permit, and Ottawa county didn't ask me. I think that before October (?) of 2006, it may have been different. When did you go before the board?

I only got it 7 months ago.

Bumpadrum
11-18-2007, 17:03
I got my original cpl in Grand Traverse Co. in Oct 01, and we all (140-150 people) had a "...just a couple of questions ifya' don't mind..." interview with the gun board. It was alphabetical order, and they passed me by. Along with a couple others. Turns out they discovered that 30 years earlier I had been arrested at a party in Pennsylvania and charged with possession of marijuana.
They wanted to make "absolutely certain" that I had not been adjudicated iNsAnE!
When I said that "it must have been really good pot because I didn't remember it...", well, that did not help. But then, the local 2A lawyer, Dave Bigenowski, pointed out that they were only allowed to look back 8 years, and they relented.
But now, looking back, I wonder for the first time if that is the reason I get delayed every time I purchase a gun. Hmm.

Landor
11-18-2007, 17:14
I am in Oakland county. I just did the paperwork and it comes in the mail.. No interviews or anything like that..

Ender
11-26-2007, 00:09
I am in Oakland county. I just did the paperwork and it comes in the mail.. No interviews or anything like that..

it comes in the mail now?!?!?

hell, i had to go pick mine up in Pontiac!

Hauptmann6
11-26-2007, 08:09
they called before they mailed it here. Gave you the option to pick it up.

bigjim
11-28-2007, 14:45

Ray was on WJLB, of all places, talking about this yesterday. I heard him as I was flipping through the channels going for lunch.

I am suprised how little media attention this has gotten. I have not seen his name anywhere but here in connection with this shooting.

Glad it worked out well for him so far.

JoeDoe22
12-17-2007, 08:19
What do they ask you in Macomb County?

Well, Friday, 12/14/07, I went down to the Macomb County Courthouse to have my CPL "interview" and it was a big waste of time as I suspected it would be and IMO they could save time and money by just mailing them like everyone else.

If anyone else in this county is curious about the questions they are:

Why do you want a CPL?

Have you ever been arrested for any crime?

Have you ever been arrested for alcohol?

Have you ever been arrested for drugs?

Have you ever been arrested for domestic violence?

Have you ever filed a personal protection order?

Have you ever had a personal protection order filed on you?

Have you ever served in the military?

If you have they ask what kind of discharge.

Then the prosecutor approves/denies followed by the sheriff and state police.
I had to wait almost two hours for my name to be called but once they did it only took 30-40 seconds, well thats if all your answers are no ;)

Then you sign your CPL, wait for it to be laminated and you're out the door.

freakshow10mm
12-17-2007, 08:30
If anyone else in this county is curious about the questions they are:

Why do you want a CPL? I do not have to answer this.

Have you ever been arrested for any crime? No.

Have you ever been arrested for alcohol? No, alcohol is not illegal.

Have you ever been arrested for drugs? No.

Have you ever been arrested for domestic violence? No.

Have you ever filed a personal protection order? No.

Have you ever had a personal protection order filed on you? No.

Have you ever served in the military? No.

If you have they ask what kind of discharge. N/A

That's how I'd answer if I had to be asked those stupid questions.