What is an EGR valve... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What is an EGR valve...

-gunut-
07-31-2007, 23:10
and how much should it cost to replace it? I have recently been having an issue with my 97 Kia Sportage that my mechanic diagnosed as an issue with the EGR valve. My car had been pulsing when idling, but would smooth out when I gave it some gas. He took a look at it, and I have no idea what he did, but now it seems to run fine. He still says I need to get the valve. So how much should this be? He is quoting a total of $300 for part and instillation. Thanks for the help guys!

Tennessee Slim
08-01-2007, 05:46
The EGR valve is the main emissions control component in the exhaust gas recirculation system. The valve is located on the intake manifold, and opens a small passageway between the exhaust and intake manifold to allow a metered amount of exhaust to flow back into the engine. This reduces combustion temperatures and helps control the formation of oxides of nitrogen. (http://autorepair.about.com/od/generalinfo/l/bldef165.htm)

Considering dealer labor rates and parts markup, $300 doesn't seem too out of line. Naturally, you could do it cheaper yourself but since you had to ask what an EGR was, ....

-gunut-
08-01-2007, 09:41
Originally posted by Tennessee Slim
The EGR valve is the main emissions control component in the exhaust gas recirculation system. The valve is located on the intake manifold, and opens a small passageway between the exhaust and intake manifold to allow a metered amount of exhaust to flow back into the engine. This reduces combustion temperatures and helps control the formation of oxides of nitrogen. (http://autorepair.about.com/od/generalinfo/l/bldef165.htm)

Considering dealer labor rates and parts markup, $300 doesn't seem too out of line. Naturally, you could do it cheaper yourself but since you had to ask what an EGR was, ....

Yeah....but I do have a friend that is a mechanic for my city! I had him install a new oxygen sensor when that went bad. That same repair guy quoted me $300 for part and instillation. I found the part for $70 and paid my friend $50 to install. I was looking around the net last night and was able to find two sites that had an EGR valve for my model/year Kia for $70! So if I go to this guy I am being charged $70 for the part+ his $130 mark up+ $100 for install. :shocked:

Tennessee Slim
08-01-2007, 09:59
I hear you. The dealer charges $400 to change an O2 sensor on my car. I pay $80 for the part and do the job myself in 30 minutes, including the "standing around, sipping on a beer, admiring my handiwork" phase.

crazypilot
08-02-2007, 01:12
I hope it's your EGR valve and not the solenoid or the vacuum. I changed the valve and the vacuum because a mechanic told me that was the problem. I spent around $200 on parts (I installed myself) and they still didn't fix it. I should just took my vehicle straight to the dealer and had them troubleshoot and replace my solenoid. Even with labor added, I would of saved some money. Also, it is a pain to try to change the solenoid on a Toyota Rav4.:upeyes:

One Ragged Hole
08-03-2007, 09:23
Go to an Autozone and have the error codes in the computer checked. You'll know exactly what needs replacing. They scan for FREE.
O-R-H

NotAMonte86
08-05-2007, 18:29
AutoZone can check your DTC's for free, but that won't pinpoint the exact problem.

If your car had problems at idle, the EGR valve may be stuck open. I have seen this problem before, and when I pulled the EGR valve off, there was a chunk of carbon holding the EGR valve open.

You could also have a vacuum leak. If it's vacuum-controlled (has a vacuum line running to it vs. electrical wiring) it could have a tear in the diaphragm. If it's accessible, while the car is idling, you can pull up on the diaphragm (in the direction of the arrows... see pic) and the car should start to run rough/stumble/die.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/NotAMonte86/egr.jpg

Are you getting ripped at $300? Well, that depends on it's location and level of difficulty. I would definitely rather do it myself. If someone already pulled the EGR valve and it now runs better, but the person says you still need one, then you need to ask him what he did or what was wrong with it.

Good luck!

ecmills
08-30-2007, 10:12
Originally posted by One Ragged Hole
Go to an Autozone and have the error codes in the computer checked. You'll know exactly what needs replacing. They scan for FREE.
O-R-H
Except that, just behind oxygen sensors and catalytic converters, EGR codes are thrown incorrectly by vehicles more often than anything else.

The DTCs tell you which system to look at, and it's the technician's job to fault-trace and diagnose from there. Replacing the EGR valve won't do you much good if there's a vacuum leak in the line running to it, or the plumbing from the exhaust manifold is clogged with soot.

Computers never lie, but they're often wrong. ;)

Given the stumbling issue at idle the original poster described, I'd begin with a quick check for a vacuum leak at the EGR or in the line running to it.

FireMech Dr.jay
09-28-2007, 19:32
Also, EGR valves require some amount of backpressure, so if you have a rusted out, missing, or aftermarket "fast and furious" exhaust, that could cause the valve not to operate.

Hope you get it figured out!!