WEIRD gun comment from my gyno [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : WEIRD gun comment from my gyno

Mrs. Tink
08-01-2007, 18:53
For the men... no gyno-related stuff in here, so feel free to read on. :animlol:

Every year we have to fill out a little questionnaire about our health habits and lifestyle. One of the questions is, "If you own a gun, is it secured away from young children?"

Well, we don't have kids. I suppose the answer to this question depends on what you consider "secured" to be. I put a short explanatory note next to the question, and this is sort of how the conversation went. (She evidently forgot that I put the same thing on my questionnaire last year.)

Gyno: So you guys own a gun?

Me: We have five.

Gyno: Really? Are they antiques?

Me: Not really. My husband started collecting them when he had a roommate in the Army. I've only bought one of them myself.

Gyno: Well, you know what's going to happen when you have kids?

Me: I buy a bigger safe?

Gyno: You'll find a way to get rid of them.

Me: :shocked:

Gyno: You love your husband, but you love your kids more. Everything changes when you have kids.

So don't tell me to change docs--she's already moving out of state and has referred me to another doc. But I thought this comment was really interesting. I didn't get into a debate with her or anything. But I wonder how many people have had this kind of conversation with their docs, or ANYONE, before. I'm sort of flummoxed. It's like her telling me I won't be using kitchen knives anymore.

c-mama
08-01-2007, 18:58
Crazy.

I've not had those questions asked of me yet.

But I plan on leaving those blank and telling the care providers it's none of their business. :supergrin:

Mrs. VR
08-01-2007, 19:03
they ask at the pediatrician, but not at my annual. I'd have laughed at her if she said that to me.

sdsnet
08-01-2007, 19:37
I don't provide any personal information other than what is pertinent to my health. Its none of their business.

MB-G26
08-01-2007, 21:02
Originally posted by sdsnet
I don't provide any personal information other than what is pertinent to my health. Its none of their business.

Ditto.

My answer on the form would have been: "N/A" Period, the end.

JimBianchi
08-01-2007, 21:09
That same question was on a new patient form at the doctors office last year.

I left it blank and when they asked why, I said because it's not medical information.

The receptionist did argue.

Doc never said a word.

Mrs. Tink
08-01-2007, 21:16
:)

I guess I never thought about the "none of your business" angle. I also never really considered, although I know better, that anyone would think anything of the fact that we have guns.

She didn't seem horrified or anything. But she did seem pretty sure that my view would change. Guess I'll never have to tell her that it isn't going to. ;)

Grimsi
08-01-2007, 23:40
Originally posted by Mrs. Tink
For the men... no gyno-related stuff in here, so feel free to read on. :animlol:

Every year we have to fill out a little questionnaire about our health habits and lifestyle. One of the questions is, "If you own a gun, is it secured away from young children?"

Well, we don't have kids. I suppose the answer to this question depends on what you consider "secured" to be. I put a short explanatory note next to the question, and this is sort of how the conversation went. (She evidently forgot that I put the same thing on my questionnaire last year.)

Me: Not really. My husband started collecting them when he had a roommate in the Army. I've only bought one of them myself.

Gyno: You love your husband, but you love your kids more. Everything changes when you have kids.

So don't tell me to change docs--she's already moving out of state and has referred me to another doc. But I thought this comment was really interesting. I didn't get into a debate with her or anything. But I wonder how many people have had this kind of conversation with their docs, or ANYONE, before. I'm sort of flummoxed. It's like her telling me I won't be using kitchen knives anymore.

This is from your gynacologist right? So the proper answer would have been: " not in my ******" right?

BabyTaz
08-02-2007, 00:01
You are welcome to e-mail her the pic of Sarah with the AR!!:supergrin:

mitchshrader
08-02-2007, 00:03
I kinda resemble that remark, I did get rid of my guns for a combination of reasons during a divorce, and in the resulting custody fight. It wasn't due to the children I got rid of them, it was finances and concern they might become an issue in the divorce..

but it was with strong consideration to child safety that i didn't replace them for some years.

It wasn't one reason, though the proximate cause was busily divorcing someone who had a pattern of impulsive behavior and child abductions.. a GOOD reason to get rid of guns, by my lights..

kids are fine, i'm fine, the ex is the ex. :) seemed to work out.

so, there ARE points where guns aren't the big half. i'm about as rabid a 2A defender as it gets, and my teens both own guns.. but THEY were different people between 8 and 15, and *I* was a different person, ..

yes, for your kids you might JUST find it sensible to be a gunless person. quite so.

That has everything to do with your own circumstances and nature and risk analysis.. and how much gungrabber culture you MAY BE FORCED to wade in your personal life...

FWIW i didn't have whisky or beer or girlfriends or playboy magazines in the house EITHER during those years.. :)

codivecop
08-02-2007, 00:06
Originally posted by BabyTaz
You are welcome to e-mail her the pic of Sarah with the AR!!:supergrin: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/codivecop/Family/geturgun.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/codivecop/Family/P8210015.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/codivecop/Family/P8210011.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/codivecop/Family/P8210012.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/codivecop/Family/P8210013.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/codivecop/Family/P1210001.jpg

Oh carp!!!!! I just posted in the Women's Issues!!!!!:outtahere:

MB-G26
08-02-2007, 02:48
I bought this house when kiddo was 6 mos. old. He's now nearly 18.
I purposefully and specifically bought a house WITHOUT a pool, because I did not trust that no matter what day/time it was, what hour of the night or morning it was, whether I was awake, asleep or in the shower, that I could be 150% super human enough to always know that kiddo had NOT fallen into the pool (despite fencing, pool alarms and all that.)

I have had my .38 Colt Dect. Spec. for eons....long before I had kiddo. It was never down where he or anyone else could 'get it', and at the earliest intellectual opportunity I began to discuss my gun and gun rules and safety with him. He learned that it was true what Mommy said, I WOULD always stop and drop whatever I was doing at any moment that he told me he was curious about my gun, wanted to see my gun, wanted to hold my gun, etc. And I did.

My child never drowned.

My child never unsupervised accessed my firearm.

Hum.

Fred Hansen
08-02-2007, 03:20
Doctor: Well, you know what's going to happen when you have kids?

Me: Gee, I dunno, when my home is invaded by career criminals said criminals will be twitching bags of guts on the floor, and my kids will be alive and safe? As oppossed to how many of you doctors protect your families in pinko la-la lands like Commienecticutt? Or was that a trick question that simply had nothing the **** to do with my health?

When a doctor asks a question that has absolutely nothing to do with one's health issues, and everything to do with said doctor sticking her little pinko-commie nose where it doesn't belong, it is best to tell said doctor that she has just tread into "boundary issue" territory, and that her prying into your private life/ownership of firearms/fast cars/WTF-ever will next be addressed at a medical ethics board hearing. Perhaps given a choice between her license to practice medicine vs. her desire to advance her political agenda at work, she may find that medicine pays better.

One goes to the doctor to have one's healthcare dealt with, not to hear some pinko gun-grabber lecture.

YMMV

sweetatergal
08-02-2007, 08:04
I'm still wondering why the gyno's office thinks it is any of their business wheather or not you own guns? :headscratch:

I can't even say that the pediatrician has ever asked the question either. Their office just keep baggering me for my kids SS #.

I think I would have to give the doc a piece of my mind on how I felt about he/she asking that kind of PERSONAL question that has not relivance of my current health issues.

sweetatergal
08-02-2007, 08:06
Originally posted by codivecop
Oh carp!!!!! I just posted in the Women's Issues!!!!!:outtahere:

Yes you did! And thanks for sharing the pics with you spending quality time with your daughter teaching her gun safety!!!! :thumbsup:

iron medic
08-02-2007, 08:20
Since my wife and I have kids (3) she has gotten more into home defense. Just bought her a new Rem 870 in 20ga. Something about motherly protection of blowing the "carp" out of anything in the house that aint suppose to be there and headed towards the kids room.
:banana: :banana: :banana:

sweetatergal
08-02-2007, 09:02
Originally posted by iron medic
Since my wife and I have kids (3) she has gotten more into home defense. Just bought her a new Rem 870 in 20ga. Something about motherly protection of blowing the "carp" out of anything in the house that aint suppose to be there and headed towards the kids room.
:banana: :banana: :banana:

Something about a mother and her offspring....I can yell and scream at them as much as I want, but don't let a stranger that is not suppose to be there lay a FINGER on one of their hairs on their head!!!!

Blitzer
08-02-2007, 09:30
I refuse to answer any questionnaire, period!

I.M.O. = Tell her to shut her communist pie hole!

Brain washed AMA conditioned idiots.

A major effort by the AMA and others to brain wash more of the citizenry!

:shocked: :rant: :burn: :shocked: :puking:

Magicmanmb
08-02-2007, 09:50
We get that ?? and do you use your seat belts every time you get in the car. The Peditricians ASSociation suggests they ask them.

Answered yes we have plenty of fireams in the house but if you have something you want to sell let me know, I want to be first in line.

Currently building my neurologist a customized 91/30 Mosin

and my neurosurgeon a .45 for IDPA shooting.

Since I get a mothers day present my step kids call, me a mother, I guess I can post in womens issues for this one only.

kcb
08-02-2007, 16:23
Originally posted by c-mama
Crazy.

I've not had those questions asked of me yet.

But I plan on leaving those blank and telling the care providers it's none of their business. :supergrin:

Same here!!

I do not recall ANY of my doctors or pediatricians
EVER asking me those questions.

I'd say I do love my children and I will be sure that they are ALWAYS safe in the way that I feel is best.

Nothing else is a concern of theirs! I didn't have my OWN gun while my children were little, because I was afraid of them. I, fortunately never had to protect them from physical harm.

I DO have my own gun, now!

My husband has always had guns. Well, I did have my dad's 22 but didn't know how to use it. They were all secured away safely where he could get to them but the children could not.

Unbelievable.

Bill2037
08-02-2007, 17:16
One wonders what's going on in the AMA that we haven't heard about? Is she collecting information? As an anti-gun group are they up to something? It may be far fetched but I would believe it if we heard them announce that guns are unhealthy. I always answers questions that I don't like with questions. Tends to offend the one who asked me the question. You generally find what their motive is with this tactics. You can always fall back on the none of your business if it gets real sour. My doc is a gun a nut and my visits would be a lot shorter if he didn't know I had that interest, but I won't complain about that anymore ... lol! Glad you shared this experience. I will share it with others.

kcb
08-02-2007, 18:35
It is probably a woman's personal feelings on the issue, and she is going a little over the edge with them.

If I were a young mother, I'd just take the "no comment", "N/A" approach on the form that is filled out. If questioned further, I'd simply say, I am very concerned about the safety of my children.
Period.

I'd be concerned about answering the questions, if I had young children. I wouldn't want HRS on my doorstep because someone shares a different opinion.

Sure gives you food for thought!

MB-G26
08-02-2007, 21:27
From what I've read generally and over recent times, this type of 'guns in home' question stuff IS a concerted effort and program or such of/by the AMA.

Seems to me that they should be asking EVERY patient that question if they truly want to achieve their assumed goal - grandparents, neighbors, etc.

imo parents who are fully in touch with gun safety issues present a far less risky home environment than some nameless, faceless, as-yet-unknown neighbor, or extended family member, in whose home a parent's kids might be over playing or visiting.

Another reason I would never answer questions like that, aside from the obvious, is that info can be and is abstracted from forms and questionnaires and provided by the health care entity TO the patient's health insurance company. I encountered this when, due to insurance change, I had to take kiddo to a new doctor. Although the gazillion-page "forms" didn't ask about firearms (or pools), it DID go into minute detail about all kinds of things pertaining solely to an infant. I got to the point in the forms where it was ridiculous and completely not applicable as my kid was by then into his teen years - when I voiced objection to the desk gal, I was told "the insurance company makes us get your answers on that form and we have to provide your answers to them."

WIG19
08-03-2007, 11:59

:rofl: :animlol:

DING DING DING!!! :number1:

(dang, now I gotta wipe that coffee off my monitor)
Thanks - I needed that.
:thumbsup:

:patriot:

Batesmotel
08-03-2007, 13:33
My wife had this question come up in the past at an Ob/Gyn and a pediatrician. She refused to answer as it was not medical info. The AMA is very anti-gun.

Jake44460
08-03-2007, 23:25

Are you sure she meant the guns??

ArodJohns
08-04-2007, 06:28
My wife brought this idea up before we got married. Said she'd gotten it from one of her friends though (which may very well have been a doctor, she works in the medical field).

I told her that one gun's always locked up and I'm the only person walking around on the face of the earth that can make the gun work without some sort of "help" from bolt cutters, a hammer and a general knowledge of how to re-assemble guns.

The other one's on my hip. At night, it gets unloaded and the magazine and pistol seperated so that I have to wake up, assess the situation and then "go hot" if that's what's required.

It's theoretically possible to get to my guns and make them work, but it's not very likely.

Two-Gun Mary
08-04-2007, 12:10
The questionnaires at medical facilities are getting more and more invasive.

An office nurse got real irate when I refused to complete the last questionnaire, which contained numberous questions about alcohol use, sexual activities, etc. I told her I was there to get a colonoscopy, not a psychological evaluation, and the questionnaire did not apply to that medical procedure.

If they ever press the issue, I'll switch doctors.

Have never been asked about guns, though.

TGM

GayStateGlocker
08-04-2007, 16:22
I'm assuming that they ask it at ob/gyn's because they assume that more women are anti-gun then men? If it's the agenda of the entire AMA we shouldn't be surprised at their tactics.

MB-G26
08-04-2007, 17:22
Hum...... did a little googling:

http://www.claremont.org/projects/projectid.12/project_detail.asp
{partial list}
The AMA's Epidemic of Deceit
Congress recently cut off funding for the Center for Disease Control's gun research programs, bringing the accusation that the "gun lobby" actually wants crime to flourish. Timothy Wheeler writes on the American Medical Association's confusion between public health and gun control.

Docs Gun for a Ban
The American Academy of Pediatrics' official view is that the only safe gun is no gun at all. Think about that the next time your doctor starts talking to you about "gun safety," writes Timothy Wheeler, M.D.

If It Saves One Life
Should we fear gun-owning citizens or scalpel-wielding doctors? Common sense tells us that we have nothing to fear from either.

Has Your Doctor Advised You Not to Have Guns in Your Home?

The Social Hygiene of Gun Control
Today there is no clearer example of a public health assault on civil liberties than the pediatricians' campaign to persuade families that guns are bad.

http://www.dsgl.org/

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2002/3/5/201025.shtml
(2002 article}
... WASHINGTON – Despite a declining membership, the American Medical Association is having significant success with its campaign to infuse politically correct anti-gun propaganda into the mainstream of the medical profession.

Many patients are startled to find their doctors asking them if they have any guns in the house. Because this is a matter related less to medicine and more to politics and household safety, many patients are simply refusing to answer. In some cases, they are telling their doctors to back off, according to letter writers responding to NewsMax.com’s previous report on the issue....

A Good Way to Lose Business

What, then, would motivate an organization that has its hands full with internal problems to stick its nose into whether you opt to exercise your Second Amendment rights to own firearms and keep them in your home for your own protection? In some instances, doctors who have followed AMA’s line have lost patients in the process.

A mother in Wright City, Mo., had to fill out a questionnaire issued by her child’s pediatrician. One of the questions was whether the family owned guns and how many.

"What in the world does that have to do with the growth and development of my child?” asked an indignant Cheri Griggs, who told NewsMax she not only refused to answer, but also decided to locate a new doctor.

Del Lowe, a retired police officer from Livermore, Calif., says that while a physician was examining his daughter, the staff handed him a survey that included a question about his gun ownership. He later learned that one of the nurses had asked his young daughter the same question.

"I told her and both of my other girls and my wife that they just don’t respond to any questions at all on that subject in the future. It’s plainly none of their damn business,” he told NewsMax.

Recording Your Personal Business

A medical transcriptionist who, for obvious reasons, prefers anonymity reports noticing in doctors’ notes recently, for physical exams of children and adults, "some doctors are asking and recording if the patient has guns in [the] home.”

The information is recorded? And how confidential is that, one wonders?

Undated "Boundary Violations" article/editorial by a Timothy Wheeler, MD (see dsgl.org) http://www.haciendapub.com/article14.html
{excerpts}
Imagine this scenario: you visit your doctor for back pain. Your doctor asks if you have firearms in your home. Then he announces that your family would be better off (especially your children) if you had no guns at all in your house. You leave the doctor's office feeling uneasy, wondering what guns have to do with your backache. Does your doctor care about your family's safety? Or instead, did he use your trust and his authority to advance a political agenda?

American families may soon find themselves in this scenario. Social activists are taking their war on gun ownership to a new battleground: the doctor's office.(1) The American Medical Association (AMA)(2), American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)(3), and American College of Physicians (ACP)(4) are urging doctors to probe their patients about guns in their homes. They profess concern for patient safety. But their ulterior motive is a political prejudice against guns and gun owners. And that places their interventions into the area of unethical physician conduct called boundary violations.

Doctor-patient sex is the most well-known and sensational example of a boundary violation. More recent literature recognizes a wide variety of non-sexual violations.(5) These cover such issues as finances, confidentiality, and gratification of the doctor's needs. Although boundary violations were first addressed in the psychiatry literature, it has become clear that they also occur in general medical practice.(6)

Boundaries in the doctor-patient relationship derive naturally from the relationship's fiduciary nature. In general, "treatment boundaries can be defined as the set of rules that establishes the professional relationship as separate from other relationships and protects the patient from harm. A patient who seeks medical or psychiatric treatment is often in a uniquely dependent, anxious, vulnerable, and exploitable state. In seeking help, patients assume positions of relative powerlessness in which they expose their weaknesses, compromise their dignity, and reveal intimacies of body or mind, or both."(7)

Thus compromised, the patient relies heavily on the physician to act only in the patient's interest and not the physician's. A doctor must put the patient's needs before his own. But a physician reverses the priorities when because of passionate political beliefs he tries to influence his patient against guns. This physician puts his own need to "do something" about the perceived evil of guns before the needs of his patient. He crosses the line from healer to political activist. Such doctor-on-patient political activism is recognized in Epstein and Simon's Exploitation Index(8) as a boundary violation.

The AAP, ACP, and AMA are members of the Handgun Epidemic Lowering Plan (HELP) Network, based in Chicago. HELP is an exclusive advocacy group dedicated to banning guns.* ...

Despite intense publicity for the AAP's Stop program and similar initiatives, most doctors shy away from scrutinizing their patients' gun ownership. In a recent study 91 percent of surveyed doctors felt that firearm violence is a public health issue. But only 3 percent said they frequently talk to patients about firearms in the home. Two-thirds of the surveyed doctors said they never talk to patients about the subject.(16) This may indicate that although they are generally concerned about firearm injuries, doctors do not see politically motivated patient counseling as appropriate professional conduct.

In a revealing section, the AAP's Stop speaker's kit warns would-be lecturers of "resistant audiences" who may disagree with them on scientific or ideological grounds. One section offers talking points for dealing with these "challenging individuals."(17) The kit's authors seem to anticipate their audiences may recognize its political nature.

Patients do have remedies for the boundary-crossing doctor. In today's competitive health care market most patients can choose from many doctors. Changing doctors is the simplest solution. A written complaint to the health plan's membership services department can send a powerful message that boundary violations by doctors will not be tolerated. If the problem persists, patients can file a complaint with the doctor's state licensing board. Medical licensing boards are increasingly aware of the problem of boundary violations. Although state boards have addressed primarily sexual and financial misconduct, the broad principles they have developed to guide doctors in these areas apply to the entire doctor-patient relationship.(18,19)

http://www.reason.com/news/show/35668.html
3/27/2001
... Jeremiah Barondess, president of the New York Academy of Medicine, apparently thinks this experience is not invasive and humiliating enough. He has come up with a way to make patients even more uncomfortable: ask them about their guns.

According to a recent story in The New York Observer, Barondess is the main instigator of a 13-group coalition called Doctors Against Handgun Injury. "To promote public safety," says the coalition, "health professionals and health systems should ask about firearm ownership when taking a medical history or engaging in preventive counseling....Patients should be provided with information about the risks of having a firearm in the home, as well as methods to reduce the risk, should they continue to choose to keep them."...

AZ DBLTRBL
08-05-2007, 04:02
Originally posted by sdsnet

I don't either - none of their business. If my doc would have asked me that I would have told her to bugger off:upeyes:

Magicmanmb
08-05-2007, 07:59
FWIW if you read a lot of the doctors HIPPA act releases you sign away your right to privacy. Because my back injury is covered under workers comp I had to waive all rights to be treated. Anything I tell my doctor he has the legal right to tell my insurance company. Watch what you signing at the doctors office with out legal representation. If you have a friend thats a lawyer ask for a written copy of the doctors privacy act and show it to the lawyer.

The Pontificator
08-05-2007, 13:27
http://www.tvland.com/shows/goodtimes/images/JimmyWalker.jpg GYNO-MITE!!!

:animlol: :rofl: :animlol: :rofl: :animlol: :rofl:

Nephilim
08-05-2007, 23:37
My wife and I were asked at a pediatrician appointment in kind of a cursory way. Before I could answer my wife said "He bought me the sexiest little pistol for my birthday!" The doctor, who is a really nice lady and a great pediatrician was like "Oh well..." and my wife said, in her disarmingly charming southern way, "Oh certainly you own a gun? I like you far too much for your home defense plan to involve hiding in the closet with your cellphone and hoping they don't kill you." The doc was pretty speechless hehe I said "She speaks the truth. I like you too. If you ever want to learn how to shoot give me a call."

sweetatergal
08-06-2007, 12:11
Originally posted by Nephilim
My wife and I were asked at a pediatrician appointment in kind of a cursory way. Before I could answer my wife said "He bought me the sexiest little pistol for my birthday!" The doctor, who is a really nice lady and a great pediatrician was like "Oh well..." and my wife said, in her disarmingly charming southern way, "Oh certainly you own a gun? I like you far too much for your home defense plan to involve hiding in the closet with your cellphone and hoping they don't kill you." The doc was pretty speechless hehe I said "She speaks the truth. I like you too. If you ever want to learn how to shoot give me a call."

I LOVED your wife's reply to the pediatrician!!! I might have to borrow it sometime if I ever need it. :thumbsup:

I have not been asked that question at either my ob/gyn or the pediatrician's office. I'm just wondering if MAYBE what part of the south that I live in may have something to do with it. There are ALOT of hunters and well "rednecks" in my area.

kygungirl
08-06-2007, 14:57
YOu should get your doc to look at this thread. Most people have guns in their houses and Children. The more education you give you child on guns the better.
Here is a Pic of my daughter holding my soon to be husbands Colt M16 A2 Commando patrol rifle. She loves shooting it with us He thought up the caption for the pic after reading this post.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/gunknifecountry/zoem16.jpg
In case it doesn't come out clear it says
Don't Worry Doc the Stock grows with me!!

PilotKitten
08-06-2007, 15:37
There's a "discussion" on another board I belong to about guns and children in which several women have stated that "kids are smart" and that they'll "find a way to get to the guns and show them off or misuse them"... which to me, those two statements are COMPLETE opposites of each other. If a kid is smart and has been taught gun safety and responsibility then why on EARTH would they be stupid enough to a) break the rules you've no doubt set forth about handling guns without mom or dad around, b) "show it off" and/or c) pull the trigger on something they don't know is loaded or not while pointing at another person?

It's like these people don't know what the hell they're talking about. More than likely, the gun owners that lock up their guns away from the kids and NEVER tell them anything about them other than, "don't touch" are more likely to have accidents and fatalities associated with their kids getting into their firearms. I see a lot of fine examples here on GT (and in this thread) of people that are no doubt being VERY responsible about educating their kids about gun saftey and respect for the rules. Somehow I doubt that their kid would ever be "smart enough" to get into what they're not supposed to be in, show it off and possible shoot someone else.

Bill2037
08-06-2007, 18:58
Originally posted by kygungirl
YOu should get your doc to look at this thread. Most people have guns in their houses and Children. The more education you give you child on guns the better.
Here is a Pic of my daughter holding my soon to be husbands Colt M16 A2 Commando patrol rifle. She loves shooting it with us He thought up the caption for the pic after reading this post.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/gunknifecountry/zoem16.jpg
In case it doesn't come out clear it says
Don't Worry Doc the Stock grows with me!!

The family that shoots together, stay together.:)

April
08-08-2007, 17:10
Both my OB/Gyn and the doc the boys go to have asked about guns. Both have also asked where we shoot. :supergrin:

uz2bUSMC
08-09-2007, 07:17
Kids are a reason to purchase a firearm, not get rid of them.

I feel wierd for having posted here now, I'm out...

ppk/sfan
08-14-2007, 18:10
My GYN had that question on her paperwork - I refused to answer. The only time I see it being relevant is IF I ever get pregnant and related to lead based concerns during pregnancy.

My family doc had this on his paperwork:

1. Do you have guns in your home? yes/no/politely decline to answer

2. IF you have guns in your house, do you have them safely stored away from children? Yes/no/politely decline to aswer

3. Would you like more information regarding personal protection including handgun safety? Yes/no

He's a shooter and former Navy. Not a bad shot either. :thumbsup:

MB-G26
08-21-2007, 17:33
I have a new pt. appt. w/a gastro next month.

If his paperwork has the aforementioned question, my answer will be:

"None that I keep in my intestines." :tongueout:

Mrs. Tink
08-22-2007, 09:24
Originally posted by MB-G26
I have a new pt. appt. w/a gastro next month.

If his paperwork has the aforementioned question, my answer will be:

"None that I keep in my intestines." :tongueout:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

Will you draw a little :tongueout: face?? :animlol:

Pinki
08-22-2007, 20:59
How far are you from Loveland, Co?

My ex is an excellent doctor and I know he is not anti-gun. :thumbsup:

MB-G26
08-24-2007, 15:12
Originally posted by Pgrl
How far are you from Loveland, Co?

My ex is an excellent doctor and I know he is not anti-gun. :thumbsup:

Me, or Mrs. Tink?

I'm in the Phx metro area....... you know, the one that's decomposing because of 3 straight months of like 110+ temps? Ack.

Pinki
08-24-2007, 19:35
Originally posted by MB-G26
Me, or Mrs. Tink?

I'm in the Phx metro area....... you know, the one that's decomposing because of 3 straight months of like 110+ temps? Ack.

Sorry, Mrs. Tink. She said her Gyno is leaving. My ex moved to Colorado and is in Loveland. He is an excellent doctor and incredibly smart. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mrs. Tink
08-24-2007, 20:51
Hi Pgrl. I guess I am just over 70 miles away. I know a gal who lives there and works in the same office as me. She has a miserable commute... but she DOES have a hybrid. :thumbsup: :supergrin:

Thanks for the tip, though!

JMag
08-24-2007, 22:55
A much more sensible and medically relevant approach by healthcare professionals would be to focus on patient lifestyle and eating habits. This approach is TRUE preventative medicine (read PROACTIVE) that would reduce the need for cholesterol meds, diabetes meds, etc. But, that would reduce the need for a trip to the doc and the typical reactive form of modern medicine.

Most of my doctor friends have more problems at home than any other group I know; physician heal thyself before you get in my business I say.

BTW, tell your doc you also have butcher and steak knives in the house, a baseball bat or two, and a few skillets. Your point, doc?

Pinki
08-25-2007, 05:44
Hi Pgrl. I guess I am just over 70 miles away. I know a gal who lives there and works in the same office as me. She has a miserable commute... but she DOES have a hybrid. :thumbsup: :supergrin:

Thanks for the tip, though!

:shocked: Wow, that IS a miserable commute!

Thegungal
08-31-2007, 01:25

Very sad. Why are so many Docs like that. Why advocate raising kids who are going to be victims. That seems like an unwise choice.

Brown Hawk
08-31-2007, 12:51
Originally posted by sweetatergal
Something about a mother and her offspring....I can yell and scream at them as much as I want, but don't let a stranger that is not suppose to be there lay a FINGER on one of their hairs on their head!!!!

I'm sorry, but this just brings a whole new meaning to: THE BALLAD OF NINE FINGERED FRODO.

:animlol: :animlol: :animlol: :animlol: :animlol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

On the serious side of this issue, my only comment would be: "Where do I report you to the medical ethics committee for SERIOUSLY overstepping your bounds. And I hope you malpractice insurance covers this!"

Hawk

Texas357
08-31-2007, 12:51
OK, the only thing I can assume from that is that the doc doesn't know that some people see guns as a way to defend themselves, and she thinks you only have guns in the house because your husband likes guns.

I told my girlfriend about your conversation and she thought it was pretty stupid. The doc obviously doesn't understand why you have guns.

Weird how the doc thinks you will be less interested in protecting yourself and your family after you have kids.

Ballyhoo
09-04-2007, 11:15
As a business owner and employer, I would NEVER be allowed to ask that question...along with "how old are you?" "Are you married?" etc.

4TS&W
09-04-2007, 11:43

You should have asked her "How in the *HELL* are my kids supposed to learn how to shoot straight if I don't have any guns???"

:thumbsup: