Should I Move? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Should I Move?

M4inCA
08-02-2007, 09:56
Wow, this last year has been a real eye opener for me about the PRK (cali)...

So, I've been considering moving, but I LOVE the west coast! Vancouver/Portland area comes to mind, but I really know nothing about it. Can anyone provide some insight about these areas? I looked up cost of living, air quality standards, housing prices, etc... what I'm looking for is the realities of life in the north west.

Thanks for any input!!!

:supergrin: :hugs:

duncan
08-02-2007, 16:28
I prefer Seattle to Portland.

I can fish the open ocean and the Puget Sound.

Hit Vancouver BC

Shall issue CCW state

Great hunting, fishing, camping, rock climbing, whitewater rafting, lots of jobs between Tacoma - Seattle - Bellevue/Redmond - Everett.

Portland is nice but that is basically it for younger working professionals or young families. But no state sales tax.

Whatever you do, leave California as it's too expensive and you can't easily have an AR-15.

M4inCA
08-02-2007, 19:42
My girl and I are looking at Vancouver, WA. As for expensive, yea, it's outta control.

BTW, my AR-15 will come with me if we move... :thumbsup:

Akita
08-03-2007, 12:03
Wouldnt the scaricty of legal AR's in CA make the one you have much more valuable to sell and just buy a new one in a freer state? Around here you can find Bushmasters for $800 and others for $750 new. You might be better off financially to sell the CA AR, + thats one more AR in CA to piss off the liberals.

M4inCA
08-03-2007, 12:07
True, however, IF I ever wanted to move back to CA, I cannot bring any other "AW" back with me unless I highly modified it.

I thought about selling it too, but I think I'll just keep it incase.

stmcelroy
08-03-2007, 22:55
Originally posted by M4inCA
My girl and I are looking at Vancouver, WA. As for expensive, yea, it's outta control.

BTW, my AR-15 will come with me if we move... :thumbsup:

Vancouver is a great place to live. If you have any desire to own NFA weapons you may consider the outskirts of Portland though.

If not, there are a lot of nice areas in the Vancouver/Clark County region.

2 hours to the beach, 3 hours to the dry side of the state, 1.5 hours to snow skiing on Mt. Hood, plus you are at the entrance to one of the most beautiful areas in the the country, the Columbia River Gorge.

Steve

Mark9Fogger
08-05-2007, 20:08
I have been to Portland, but I never went across the river to Vancouver. My goal is to retire in northern Oregon so you are heading in the right direction. :thumbsup:

Habu
08-07-2007, 00:51
Friend, get out of that communist state!

Washington is great, for all the reasons mentioned above!

yunone
08-07-2007, 11:01
i moved from the San Francisco Bay Area to North Seattle in 2005. I grew up in the Bay Area all my life, so it was a pretty drastic change for me.

Things I love about the state:

The people are a lot friendler

the gun laws are great

the car registration is dirt cheap

the area is beautiful and its a wonderful place for outdoor enthusiasts

the summers are amazing

law enforcement are usually pretty nice, better than the ego maniacs in cali****yaover

few things I hate about washington

the weather sucks and lately this year is really killing my mood

this summer has been a ****ty one so far as we really havent had a nice one, yet

the roads suck. they are crowned wacky and not the greatest

people cant drive for **** here, they brake for no freaking reason

the housing prices are climbing just like california, so you better have some equity in your current house if you want to buy here

the pay here sucks compared to a very similar job in california, as a whole washingtonians are underpaid compared to other states

wow...my negative list is long :) hmmmm... maybe Arizona would be a nice place to live :)

Overall my wife and I love it here as the weather is moderate, but you dont get **** for sun here. there is tanning booths on every corner so that will help with your tan. If you arent an upbeat person you might blend in well with the lack of personality that you might encounter with the blah types up here.

hope that helps

OptionX3
08-09-2007, 01:26
I dont know, I'll have to see. I just moved here from So.cal. Been a cali person pretty much all my life. I'm looking for local ranges to shoot. Hope it's not worse then cali.
PS> are you on calguns?

M4inCA
08-09-2007, 08:30
Option - Yes, I'm also on CalGuns. The little woman and I are pretty fed up with the issues that are constantly being "worked on".

duncan
08-11-2007, 00:56
Get out of California before they ban all guns, change the offical language to Spanish, prohibit religion, and outlaw marriage between a man and a woman!

The PNW has our share of liberals but at least you can have your guns and still buy some acreage away from the city.

JTR
08-28-2007, 01:08
For the life of me I can not see why folks stay.

I was born in Berkley and did some growing up in Danville before my folks got wise to it all and moved us up here. Took a quick vacation back to the Bay Area earlier this summer, thank goodness I live here.

Spent the remainder of my formative years here in Oregon then went off to skool in Arizona. Stuck around down there for about ten years.

...Then moved back to Oregon.

Now some of that has to do with "this is my home" stuff. But itís tough to beat.

The dreary winters can be a downer, think Portland is a lot better than Seattle though. Oregon isn't exactly a happy place politically, but we're shall issue with the CCW and NFA friendly. The NFA thing might not sound too exciting at the moment, but once you go out and buy a new arf lower, send off yer paperwork for the NFA registration, then snap on a 10-inch barreled upper (or whatever floats your boat). Ohh happy time. None of this DOJ horse$n1t.

As already mentioned, there's tons of other stuff to do around here. Great summers, not overcrowded like the "big cities." Quality of life is far superior.

My biggest group of "internet friends" comes from the Oregon Hometown Forum (http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=36) over on arf.com Good people. A bunch of us get together for a few different local matches and gatherings. Might check it out too.

PromptCritical
09-19-2007, 18:17
Originally posted by Akita
Wouldnt the scaricty of legal AR's in CA make the one you have much more valuable to sell and just buy a new one in a freer state? Around here you can find Bushmasters for $800 and others for $750 new. You might be better off financially to sell the CA AR, + thats one more AR in CA to piss off the liberals.

Wrong. California does not allow ANY transfer of AWs in the state. He cannot sell it to another Californian before moving.

By the writing of the law, the number of legal AWs and AW owners in California can only decrease as time goes on. When an AW owner dies, his AW must be either surrendered or sold out of state.

Not sure he would be able to bring it back in either if he moves back.

Congrats on having one of the few legal, registered AWs in Kali. Noncompliance is estimated at 90%...

PromptCritical
09-19-2007, 18:20
Originally posted by JTR

My biggest group of "internet friends" comes from the Oregon Hometown Forum (http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=36) over on arf.com Good people. A bunch of us get together for a few different local matches and gatherings. Might check it out too.

You come to the shoot/potluck buffet last weekend? It was one of the best shoots ever. Huge attendance, great food, lots of toys.

I think maybe for the next shoot we should include the local GT'ers in the fun...

Next shoot should be January/February timeframe. (Shooting guns while it's snowing is very cool, I think.)