Sat on a KTM Super Duke th e other day... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sat on a KTM Super Duke th e other day...

DaisyCutter
08-02-2007, 17:26
I gotta say, I think it may be the only bike that feels better than a ZRX (to me). It was feather light compared to the ZRX, the bars were right where they should be, and that big has to pull real hard.

IMO, the $14,000 price is a joke... and I really don't think I'd pass the 24hr ownership threshold without having to call a friend to post bail. That Super Duke just begs for felony-level mischief.

Who's got a ride report?

fnfalman
08-02-2007, 17:37
I had a teensy ten minutes ride so I figured it wasn't worth reporting. Fast but not as fast as the Tuono when WFO, but still fast and pulls hard from down low. Very flickable, more than the Tuono. Sits higher than a Tuono but about the same as Tuono Factory or a Tuono with Ohlins rear like mine. Spectacular brakes, better than the Tuono, or at least better feedback and the rear brake will lock the tire up with ease. Good or bad, you decide.

I didn't cut any twisties with it but changing lane is magical. You think and it's already gone. And yes, it will tempt you to do naughty things. Definitely wheelies easier than the current generation Tuono. No steering damper though, but aftermarket is available and I think it's a must. Some minor wiggles when romping hard on the gas.

For $14,000 you get quite a bit of a motorbike. All top notch components that a Tuono owner has to shell out for the Factory model in order to match.

NMGlocker
08-02-2007, 18:25
I had the chance to try out the Super Duke and the Tuono side by side for an extended test ride.
I came home with the Tuono.
The Duke was a good bike, but the Ape is better IMO, especially with a few well chosen upgrades that you can buy for the $1000 you save in the up front price difference.
With a little setup time, suspension sag/preload, drop the front forks 3mm, 15T cs sprocket, free flow pipes and switch to Map2 the Ape will walk away from the KTM.
Go for the $600 Ohlins rear shock and $300 Ohlins front fork internals and you'll really be over the KTM in performance.

Goldendog Redux
08-03-2007, 09:54
I have had a chubby for a Duke for a while. I guess I have not ridden one cause I am afraid I would obsess over it. The Tuono is on my radar as well but it has a much more pronounced sport bike look to me which I am not really after. The Duke speaks to me.

For 14 grand though I could have Triumph Tiger, piped, re-sprung and all of the touring goodies.

I hate motorcycles.

MF

DriBak
08-30-2007, 14:33
:thumbsup:

c5367
09-03-2007, 14:58
It is awesome, so awesome that it replaced my 06 Brutale as my street ride. I love riding it on the street, and its remarkably competent on the track as well.