where do I find a bike kit (non-chopper!) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : where do I find a bike kit (non-chopper!)

hotlunch
08-02-2007, 21:52
I'm interested in possibly building a bike from a kit this winter as a project but can't find any sites that offer them other than choppers. I'm thinking something along the lines of a cafe racer or basically something NOT a chopper.

I'm not really interested in rebuilding or piecing together a bike with old, cobbled parts but would like a kit that has all the parts ready to go--Is that something that is even available???

Anyone?

MikeLadner
08-02-2007, 23:41
I'm also interested in this....

White Buffalo
08-03-2007, 00:49
Not sure if this would interest you or not, but a friend and I built him a bagger this past year. Frame was a santee meant to mock 50's style flh's (for a lack of a better description) but set up for rubber mounting an 80 inch blockhead. Just picked up a catalog and ordered all the things he would need to put it together. Everything brand-spanking new, with the exception of the pipes we made, the mounting brackets for the hard-bags we made and the internal throttle, custom turns signal beach bars we made. Kick ass motorcycle, so much so that I now want a bagger.... and I'm a true, take a sawzall, blow-torch and welder to a perfectly good stock motorcycle and turn it into a chopper kind of guy.

edited to add: after it was all said and done, I think he was about 10-11k into it. The same motorcycle, if the MoCo would have ever built a bike like this, would have easily been 18k.

larkinmusic
08-03-2007, 20:51
You could find an old Yamaha XS650 to turn into a cafe racer. Not really a kit but a fun project. Those bikes are plentiful and cheap. But are getting popular again.

norton
08-04-2007, 10:39
Originally posted by larkinmusic
You could find an old Yamaha XS650 to turn into a cafe racer. Not really a kit but a fun project. Those bikes are plentiful and cheap. But are getting popular again.

One of the bike mags in the early 90's did a cafe version of the xs650-the engine as I recall received no hop up parts, just new pipes and air filter.
it turned out pretty cool. a sort of cross between a flat track and cafe bike-without plastic fairings or any other stuff.

hotlunch
08-04-2007, 19:26
Originally posted by larkinmusic

Yeah it's looking like I may have to do something like that. Get a half-way decent bike and just make mods instead of building from the ground up. Oh well.

White Buffalo
08-05-2007, 10:43
Originally posted by hotlunch
Yeah it's looking like I may have to do something like that. Get a half-way decent bike and just make mods instead of building from the ground up. Oh well. I built an xs650 chop this past year. I would recomend people not use that bike. In stock form, it's alright..... BUT, the electrical is junk on it. I've already had to replace the charging rotor 3 times, the ignition coil once, and the reg/rec. once. None of those are cheap. You get about 10,000 miles to a charging stator (talked to a buddy of mine who rebuilds them, that's what all those guys tell me) then it's craps out. The only older japanese bikes I would recomend would be the older hondas and the older kz's. And even those take a large amount of dedication to keep them running. Your best bet is to go with a harley (sorry guys, it's true). You can get them fairly cheap, parts are plentiful, and in the long run, unless you have a bunch of parts laying around you can use with the build, you'll end up spending the roughly same amount with either the japanese or the harley... and the japanese will never be worth close to what you have in it... the harley, if you decide to sell it, will at least get some of your money back. I've done this many times with all types of bikes, I am a good welder, can fab things up fairly easily and in the end, I always seem to have to put just as much money into either.

Bowtie
08-06-2007, 22:26
http://bigtwinracers.com/war-horse/index.htm

hotlunch
08-08-2007, 19:55
Originally posted by White Buffalo
I built an xs650 chop this past year. I would recomend people not use that bike. In stock form, it's alright..... BUT, the electrical is junk on it. I've already had to replace the charging rotor 3 times, the ignition coil once, and the reg/rec. once. None of those are cheap. You get about 10,000 miles to a charging stator (talked to a buddy of mine who rebuilds them, that's what all those guys tell me) then it's craps out. The only older japanese bikes I would recomend would be the older hondas and the older kz's. And even those take a large amount of dedication to keep them running. Your best bet is to go with a harley (sorry guys, it's true). You can get them fairly cheap, parts are plentiful, and in the long run, unless you have a bunch of parts laying around you can use with the build, you'll end up spending the roughly same amount with either the japanese or the harley... and the japanese will never be worth close to what you have in it... the harley, if you decide to sell it, will at least get some of your money back. I've done this many times with all types of bikes, I am a good welder, can fab things up fairly easily and in the end, I always seem to have to put just as much money into either.

As for a Jap bike not being worth what I put into it I'm not worried. I'm not looking to "flip" a bike and make money off of this project. It's just something I want to do for me. Some winter wrenching in the garage type of thing with a definite goal by Spring.

And although I don't have anything against Harley's I don't know that the frame and style would lend itself to a cafe racer type of bike (unless you're talkin' really, REALLY old Harley--which I couldn't afford anyway).

wolfy692005
08-09-2007, 15:34
not sure if you are interested in a v-twin type motorcycle but Custom Chrome used to offer a bobber style bike kit.. these kits are pretty much complete less paint. I simpely just cant put some of the "stock" peices on.. In this case you can either make or buy what you like for yourself and put the ones in the kit on ebay or in some cases they may replace the parts you dont want in the kit for you..
just an option, i have not built a bike or even thought about it in over 3 years.. not sure what is out there anymore.

Rexzilla
08-10-2007, 17:25
Well if you want to go retro...you can get a Ural type aka BMW kit on ebay. These are new manufacturer bikes but an 1940s type design pancake engine aka BMW. You have to put the thing together but it comes with a sidecar. This is retro as you can get.

White Buffalo
08-12-2007, 13:14
Originally posted by Rexzilla
Well if you want to go retro...you can get a Ural type aka BMW kit on ebay. These are new manufacturer bikes but an 1940s type design pancake engine aka BMW. You have to put the thing together but it comes with a sidecar. This is retro as you can get. I forgot all about those.... Those urals are about as cool as you can get.. not fast by a long shot, top speed with the hack is probably around 70 mph, maybe less (hey, it is an exact copy) but seein is believing. You need some mechanical ability to keep them running though (hey, it is an exact copy) but they're not difficult at all... not much too them. YOu can get them in kits or you can get them ready to go from the few dealers here in america (think there is one in west TN, if'n I'm not mistaken...)