so can you carry more than one gun here? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : so can you carry more than one gun here?

Ender
08-03-2007, 21:20
with a CCW, of course...

nehpets99
08-04-2007, 01:03
You planning on coming back to OH? I just took my CCW class about 2 weeks ago and my instructor says it's never been tested in the courts. His interpretation was that it's a license to carry a concealed handgun and recommended we limit ourselves to just one.

Why? You gonna walk around Cincinnati like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zepAp5qQiDw

ArodJohns
08-04-2007, 06:06
I don't see any reason why more than one would be a problem. I carry two myself. And just so I don't get accused of being a Rambo-Wannabe one's a G23 and the other's a 642.

Linda
08-04-2007, 06:15
nehpets: Your instructor is wrong! The law does not specify that only one handgun can be carried at a time. If we want to carry 6 at a time, that is OK. Unlike states such as Michigan, we can also carry whatever gun we want, so long as it is a "handgun". Our licenses are specific to being a concealed "handgun" license.

MichiganPython
08-04-2007, 10:45
Originally posted by Linda
nehpets: Unlike states such as Michigan, we can also carry whatever gun we want, so long as it is a "handgun".

I have a Michigan CCW and I don't believe there are any restrictions on the "type" of handgun we can carry.

Similar to Ohio, there are no guidelines in Michigan law as to how many guns can bed carried at one time. However, I would not want to be the guinea pig in the first court case.

Blitzer
08-04-2007, 11:35
nehpets: Your instructor is wrong! The law does not specify that only one handgun can be carried at a time. If we want to carry 6 at a time, that is OK. Unlike states such as Michigan, we can also carry whatever gun we want, so long as it is a "handgun". Our licenses are specific to being a concealed "handgun" license.

So we can carry a Mini-16 or AK pistol? :shocked:

Linda
08-04-2007, 13:31
Originally posted by MichiganPython

Similar to Ohio, there are no guidelines in Michigan law as to how many guns can bed carried at one time. However, I would not want to be the guinea pig in the first court case.

I could be wrong, but in MI don't you have to inform them of what gun you will be specifically carrying?

nehpets99
08-04-2007, 13:33

It's a matter of semantics. If you look carefully at my post again, it says that the matter's never been tested in court, but the language is this: "[the prohibition of carrying a concealed weaopn] does not apply to any person who, at the time of the alleged carrying or possession of a handgun, is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person" [ORC 2923.12 (C)(2)].

My instructor's non-lawyer (but LEO) interpretation of it is just as valid as your opinion. Like Python, I don't want to be the guniea pig.

Blitzer: My guess is probably. A handgun is a handgun.

ETA: Usually "a" denotes "one", but there's nothing specific either way. It's like the problem with being in a place with a class D liquor permit who is "dispensing" alcohol, a word which isn't defined in the ORC.

MichiganPython
08-04-2007, 14:58
I could be wrong, but in MI don't you have to inform them of what gun you will be specifically carrying?

Every handgun purchased in Michigan, by a ccw holder or by a non-ccw holder, must be "safety inspected (i.e., registered). Once that is done, the gun is legally owned. The handguns you own are not listed on the CCW license itself and so you can freely carry any of them. This is different than New York, for example, where every handgun must be listed on the ccw license itself.

Unfortunately, the rules in each state are different.

Ender
08-04-2007, 22:24

no. like someone else said, unfortunately we have a "registration" process.

but within that, short barreled rifles and shotguns are considered handguns in some cases, so technically we could carry one with us if we chose.

interesting take on things. main point: i'm glad that it isn't set in stone that we can't carry more than one. i often transport (if not carry) more than one gun.

thanks for the replies folks! :)

(oh, and nephets, i'm in cincy for a month or two more, on and off, if you wanna do lunch or something again) ;)

nehpets99
08-04-2007, 23:05
you could transport an arsenal through ohio and as long as they're all transported legally (if you've ccwing: locked case or latched case in plain sight).

i'll be back in that area some time next week until G-d knows when. i'd be up for something but we should work on getting more people...

...and this time don't forget the singles for the nice man.

...and go to the bathroom before you leave! Didn't your mother ever tell you to try, even if you don't have to go. You missed the holes Londo made (not to mention the looks he got) when he emptied his 32-rd. mag as quickly as possible.

Ender
08-05-2007, 22:10
Originally posted by nehpets99
you could transport an arsenal through ohio and as long as they're all transported legally (if you've ccwing: locked case or latched case in plain sight).

i'll be back in that area some time next week until G-d knows when. i'd be up for something but we should work on getting more people...

...and this time don't forget the singles for the nice man.

...and go to the bathroom before you leave! Didn't your mother ever tell you to try, even if you don't have to go. You missed the holes Londo made (not to mention the looks he got) when he emptied his 32-rd. mag as quickly as possible.

:rofl:

next time i'll drop the kids off before we leave. i was kinda disappointed to miss that range trip :sad:

ArodJohns
08-06-2007, 06:39

If it's your carry gun, why not just carry it in a holster on your body?

nehpets99
08-06-2007, 09:10
Originally posted by ArodJohns
If it's your carry gun, why not just carry it in a holster on your body?

that too, but I'd think transporting an arsenal on your person would make sitting and driving somewhat difficult :tongueout:

ArodJohns
08-06-2007, 21:37
that too, but I'd think transporting an arsenal on your person would make sitting and driving somewhat difficult :tongueout:

True, it's not like carrying one gun is comfortable. :animlol: :supergrin:

nehpets99
08-07-2007, 00:25
I dunno bout you, but I could probably drive all day with my CTAC.

ArodJohns
08-07-2007, 13:57
I dunno bout you, but I could probably drive all day with my CTAC.

I can't seem to find a comfortable place on my body at all for any type of holster. There's just places that bug me less than other places. However, I pocket carry alot and it works really well.

Where-abouts do you carry your C-Tac?

nehpets99
08-07-2007, 15:20
Originally posted by ArodJohns
I can't seem to find a comfortable place on my body at all for any type of holster. There's just places that bug me less than other places. However, I pocket carry alot and it works really well.

Where-abouts do you carry your C-Tac?

Sorry to hear that, but if you've got a gun small enough for pocket carry and it works for you, then more power to you. I've got it about 3:00 (I wouldn't cal it 3:30-4)

glockman513
08-08-2007, 12:29
There is no limit per the law, but I think the only way you would find trouble is if you had say 3 or more. Not against the law, but I wouldn't be surprised if an officer harrassed you if you had 3 and especially if you were in a group of people that did not have permits themselves. Might look like you're carrying someone elsees guns. Now that local pre-emttion exists and it would be legal to carry a 33 round mag in Cincinnati, I just think that would look like you're prepared for more than a SD situation. Trunk? maybe that's a different story.

ArodJohns
08-08-2007, 13:28
Sorry to hear that, but if you've got a gun small enough for pocket carry and it works for you, then more power to you. I've got it about 3:00 (I wouldn't cal it 3:30-4)

My little Smith 642 fits in MOST pants pockets just fine. I have trouble with it printing in just regular dress trousers without pleats, but then that's to be expected with that mode of concealment.

I've got a real nice little calous right where the slide and sweat guard have rubbed against my hip. I've had minor success with appendix carry, so I think I may try that for a little while. In fact, who knows, maybe I'll take some pics like that after work and have you guys let me know if it prints over-much or if it's good to go.

HKSmith
08-09-2007, 18:06
Unfortunately, 33-round mags are illegal in Ohio. This is a state law and has nothing to do with local preemption. State law defines guns with greater than 31 round capacity as "automatic weapons and dangerous ordnance". This does not apply to rimfire weapons or weapons registered under the NFA.

Most Ohio shooters are unaware of this law (which needs to be changed). I do not know of any prosecutions under this law, but would not want to be a test case. If you can find a 30-round Glock magazine that would be alright.

WILLSARV
08-09-2007, 19:45
State law defines guns with greater than 31 round capacity as "automatic weapons and dangerous ordnance".

If the mag extension was removed it would only hold 31 rounds. So would that make it legal? Something to ponder.