Riders that are visiting California, please avail yourself to the lane splitting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Riders that are visiting California, please avail yourself to the lane splitting

fnfalman
08-04-2007, 13:38
It's legal here, so do it. No need to get stuck in traffic unless your idea of fun is riding the clutch at 0 to 5-mph every other three feet for the next 20-miles.

Traffic jams in California don't clear themselves up in a mile or three.

Yesterday I saw a fellow visiting New Mexican riding his bike along with jammed traffic. I pulled up and told him that he can legally split lane and to follow me. He shook his head and kept on crawling along. I shrugged and left. Before that I saw Arizonians visiting and doing the same thing. I tried to tell them but they steadfastly refused to lane split.

You shouldn't be doing things that make you uncomfortable but being baked by the summer sun while crawling with traffic is dangerous to your health, not to mention dangerous to your bike's health and for your safety since that the cagers tend to nod off and turn you into a "jam sandwich".

DaisyCutter
08-04-2007, 15:00
I periodically avail myself in AZ. ;)

It's safer and easier than most think...

fnfalman
08-04-2007, 16:37
Originally posted by DaisyCutter
I periodically avail myself in AZ. ;)

Me too. Going in and out on I-10 West could be a mutha between Phoenix and Goodyear depending on the day and time of day.

tehan2
08-04-2007, 19:06
I wish it was legal here. I got a $200 ticket (and 3 points) for doing it a couple years ago.

Goldendog Redux
08-04-2007, 22:28
I was riding in heavy traffic in South Lake Tahoe thinking how bad it sucked. Then I remembered I was in California. Right to the front of the line. The Napoleon bar end mirrors stick out pretty far though.

MF

ateamer
08-05-2007, 00:25
Lanesplitting is a sanity saver around here. My six mile commute takes 35 minutes or more at 5:00 PM; on the bike about 15, 'cause I lanesplit pretty slowly. (That same commute is eight minutes at 6:00 AM.)

357glocker
08-11-2007, 09:52
I had to drive my GF to LAX from San Luis Obispo last weekend. LA sucks. I got passed by alot of bikes on 101 and 405 during the traffic jams. One of the accidents was a sportbike and a SUV on the north side of LA. Bike was in pieces all over I-405. Don't know what happened to the rider.
I can see where lane splitting could cut the commute in half.

mesteve2
08-15-2007, 10:42
Lane splitting in Texas is called sharing the road.

I did this in front of cop today.

No problem.

I do this all the time.

Great for bikers and regular traffic things more faster.

I find my self wanting to do the same thing in my truck.

steve

fnfalman
08-15-2007, 23:34
Originally posted by mesteve2
Lane splitting in Texas is called sharing the road.

I did this in front of cop today.

No problem.

I do this all the time.

Great for bikers and regular traffic things more faster.

I find my self wanting to do the same thing in my truck.

steve

Did Texas finally pass the lane sharing law? I know that it got shot down last year. That would be very cool if they did pass the law, otherwise you're at the mercy of the local coppers.

mesteve2
08-16-2007, 09:59
2 1/2 years ago.

steve

Super Trucker
08-20-2007, 20:07
How do you find out if it is legal in your state?