Airport Firearms Handling Fee? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Airport Firearms Handling Fee?

CatsMeow
08-04-2007, 23:20
Hi all,

I just flew in from Cebu. Haven't flown for some time, so it was a surprise when the police officer where I deposited my pistol told me that they are now charging a "handling fee" of P336.00. Didn't have much of a choice; I paid, otherwise I would be rendered "Glockless".

My question is, since when was this in effect?

vega
08-04-2007, 23:42
Were you issued Official Receipt?

bmag
08-04-2007, 23:48
Yes they've been charging handling fees for sometime (more than a year na ata), both carriers (PAL&Ceb-Pac). Imagine P700 balikan!

Firearms associations should do something about it.

Gunless muna ako for three trips na.

chowchow
08-04-2007, 23:49
Special Handling Charge for firearms ba yan?

CatsMeow
08-04-2007, 23:49
Yes. It's stapled to my Cebu Pacific boarding pass.

chowchow
08-04-2007, 23:51
Mabigat sa bulsa kung palaging magtravel. Ano kaya kung may kaibigan tayo sa militar?

9MX
08-05-2007, 03:59
its a recent airport policy

TTPower
08-05-2007, 07:31
where do u bring ur firearm if u plan to bring it with u to... lets say boracay? what are the documents u need and what are the procedures? :)

juliuscl
08-05-2007, 08:51
I think if i am not mistaken, that was initiated by PAL for handling fee for the firearm as it involves extra handling for it. Probably, cebu pacific followed suit but i am not sure if it has been implemented on the other airlines.

is the receipt issued by the airport or by the airline?

glock26ph
08-05-2007, 09:04
Originally posted by TTPower
where do u bring ur firearm if u plan to bring it with u to... lets say boracay? what are the documents u need and what are the procedures? :)

You basically bring it with you wherever you go around the Philippines - concealed of course. You will need your unexpired f/a license and the PTCFOR(permit to carry).

If you are going to fly to your destination, you will have to approach the PNP assitance desk prior to your entering the airport - they usually have these PNP desks just before you enter the X-Ray machine. If you do not see any PNP desk near the entrance, ask any PNP personnel or any uniformed airport guard for it, tell them you are "checking in your firearm" for a flight. Be sure you approach the PNP desk or any PNP personnel prior to entering the X-Ray machine, or else. The Officer on duty will then ask you for your license and permit, as well as your airline ticket. He would either ask you to check in your other luggages and come back for the claim stub for your firearm. You will be asked to sign a logbook or a registry. Your firearm would then be endorsed to the airline personnel who would usually put it inside a locked metal box which will be carried into the plane by the flight purser or a flight attendant. When you arrive at your destination, you will again look for the PNP desk to claim your firearm. They will ask for the "luggage claim stub" and may ask you to present your ID's again.

gen1
08-05-2007, 18:22
matagal nang may handling fee sa PAL. Recently implemented sa Cebu Pacific (Mid May, pero gunban noon kaya hindi ko napansin until lumipad ako lately.)

Hindi exempted ang militar sa fee. Asar na asar nga ang mga kasabay kong militar sa biyaheng cotabato city. hinahanap pa kasi ang resibo bukod sa claim stub mo bago mo makuha ang baril.

P 336 ang charge, P300 + 36 Vat.

kahit masakit sa bulsa, walang magawa. kailangan din natin ng proteksyon kapag nasa bundok :sad:

CatsMeow
08-06-2007, 03:25
I think the receipt was issued by the airline since I paid for it with the same cashier where I paid for overweight luggage. Anyway I'll check the boarding pass.

I believe the airlines decided on this since I observed firearms being handled differently from other baggage, that is, there was always a guy specially designated to bring it to the plane and to the terminal. But then, P336? Would have let it pass but for another unpleasant discovery of mine: passengers have to BUY their snacks on Cebu Pacific planes. And on top of it the flight was delayed. It's not only the PNP that's fleecing gun owners.

I wonder if the rate would be the same for a long arm.

horge
08-06-2007, 13:59
Heh. Try flying domestic in the U.S.
Some carriers offer no inflight meals,
but they'll sell you dubious-looking sandwiches for 4-6 USD each.
Drinks for 2 USD... the tetra-pak variety.

The kicker's they'd cut out the A/C about 10 minutes into the flight,
naturally, uber-delayed to begin with.

isuzu
08-06-2007, 14:20
Originally posted by chowchow
Mabigat sa bulsa kung palaging magtravel. Ano kaya kung may kaibigan tayo sa militar?

Firearms won't be loaded to the plane without a receipt.

CatsMeow
08-10-2007, 03:44
It's stapled to my e-ticket and is exactly as gen1 described.

Too much to hope my office will allow said receipt for liquidation for travel expenses, but I'll try.;) P672 is no small amount; perhaps I'll argue that my weapon helped protect my precious hide so I can get to and from the seminar safely?:supergrin:

CatsMeow
08-14-2007, 03:20
Hi all,

Flew back to Cebu today; paid the P336, together with a cop with a well-used and slightly modified Bushmaster M4. The Cebu airport cops told me this policy has been in force since August last year.

In this little trip, I did learn some things: one, there is always a price to pay for carrying, one of which is with the wallet, and two, Cebu Pacific treated my weapon better than me!

mikol
08-14-2007, 03:35
Originally posted by CatsMeow
Hi all,

Flew back to Cebu today; paid the P336, together with a cop with a well-used and slightly modified Bushmaster M4. The Cebu airport cops told me this policy has been in force since August last year.

In this little trip, I did learn some things: one, there is always a price to pay for carrying, one of which is with the wallet, and two, Cebu Pacific treated my weapon better than me!
better for your FA bro. tsaka umatos na pala FA handling nila. ;)
saw few years back, a steward just carry a glock coming from the plane & going directly to the firearms claim counter to give the FA to the police stationed there.

dumaan sa harap namin while we are waiting for our baggage na bitbit yun glock na kala mo me raid.:shocked:
ni di man lang naka holster or naka plastic case or something, wahh.....:sad:

CatsMeow
08-14-2007, 19:13
That must have been a real treat for all those tourists with you!:supergrin:

I put mine in an old Doskocil gun case. When I arrived in Manila, there was a well-wrapped (as in balot na balot) pistol waiting for its owner. Easy to find out what it was, as its label stated that it was a Colt .45 in a holster. I could imagine what would have happened had the owner gotten into an "oh shoot!" situation before he had time to unwrap it!:supergrin:

iMD
08-14-2007, 19:45
i also carry my modified paraOrd p16-40 every other week when i go to the province for my clinic duty...my main purpose though is different from most of the bros, i bring my FA to "dryfire" since i don't have time to go to a range and practice,,,,it helps me from getting "rusty"....so in my case, sobrang mura na ng P700(back and forth) na handling fee coz this saves me a lot of bullets....sa manila na lang ako bumabawi ng "live fire":thumbsup: