I don't like it but I got my FOID card anyway. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I don't like it but I got my FOID card anyway.

lonewolf01
08-06-2007, 18:07
I moved to this state several weeks ago and thought about not getting the FOID card since I do not take my weapons out of the house but I though better of it. I don't have to register my weapons so I might as well be legal with his stupid card in case there's an incident of someone breaking into my home or something. At least I live in SW Illinois so no Cook county BS down here.

It still feels like big brother though. I'm no rebel but it pisses me off that this state gov't now has me on a list as if I've done something wrong.

G19Wino
08-08-2007, 14:45
Lonewolf, welcome to Illinois :wavey:. I understand your frustration about having to register yourself in order to legally own and purchase firearms here, especially since this procedure seems to make Illinois one of the strictest states in regard to gun control (and I won't even talk about the carry issue!). There is no way around the FOID card and like you said yourself, it is important to be a law abiding and responsible citizen when you own firearms. At least we still have a pretty tolerant legal frame within which we can own our guns here. It probably won't make you feel better, but before moving to Illinois many years ago, I was living in a country where owning a gun is a legal nightmare. If you didn't need a firearm for work (LEO, special military units etc.) you could not purchase any gun or worse, you were supposed to turn in the ones you had. When I turned 18 my dad, a WWII gun collector, gave me a Colt 1911A1 left behind in 1944. This gift automatically made me a criminal! I tried everything I could to legally possess this beauty but had to give it up :crying:. So now when I tell the folks over there how it works here, they envy my $5 FOID card and drool over the pictures of my Glocks and AR! I am by no means saying things are perfect here and that we shouldn't oppose new restrictive laws, I am just grateful to be living in the most liberate gun country in the world.:patriot: