ATF Agents at Ft. Worth Gun Range [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ATF Agents at Ft. Worth Gun Range

dglockster
08-06-2007, 18:36
Found this at http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=317087.

Has anyone else heard about ATF visiting a gun range in Ft. Worth?

bluelineman
08-06-2007, 20:30
Not heard anything about it.

I know they're Fed LEO's, but don't they have to have some kind of probable cause to look at your stuff?

DriBak
08-09-2007, 16:22
:shocked:

S.O.Interceptor
08-10-2007, 09:01
First of all, this is a one sided version of events. Secondly half of the people on that forum are calling bull**** due to the reputation of the person who passed on the information. Read every post on there. There are some people who know the guy and don't believe a word he says. Third, this is third or fourth hand information that has been exagerated all to hell.

I'm not a fed and I don't work anywhere near Ft. Worth, but if I'm up there and I see something that is obviously a violation, I can act on it too. If you have an obviously illegal firearm in plain sight neither myself or any other officer need a warrant or anything to act on it.

I don't believe for a second that the agents were taking everyone's weapons and inspecting them. They would need a warrant to sieze and inspect the weapons unless the weapon had obvious visible illegal modifications. But if that were the case they would just arrest the owner. Besides the range owners could have told the agents to leave if they weren't on official business. And their official business is with the range, not it's customers.

Don't fall hook line and sinker for the anti-ATF bull**** you read online. I've worked with them and several other alphabet agencies and they have all been completely sharp, professional, and courteous. And, shhhhhhh, don't tell anyone, but the ATF guys were actually pro-gunners who only target criminals. If word of this gets out it will ruin the ATF's reputation of being gun stealing nazis.

SJRTX
08-10-2007, 19:14
Originally posted by S.O.Interceptor
First of all, this is a one sided version of events. Secondly half of the people on that forum are calling bull**** due to the reputation of the person who passed on the information. Read every post on there. There are some people who know the guy and don't believe a word he says. Third, this is third or fourth hand information that has been exagerated all to hell.

I'm not a fed and I don't work anywhere near Ft. Worth, but if I'm up there and I see something that is obviously a violation, I can act on it too. If you have an obviously illegal firearm in plain sight neither myself or any other officer need a warrant or anything to act on it.

I don't believe for a second that the agents were taking everyone's weapons and inspecting them. They would need a warrant to sieze and inspect the weapons unless the weapon had obvious visible illegal modifications. But if that were the case they would just arrest the owner. Besides the range owners could have told the agents to leave if they weren't on official business. And their official business is with the range, not it's customers.

Don't fall hook line and sinker for the anti-ATF bull**** you read online. I've worked with them and several other alphabet agencies and they have all been completely sharp, professional, and courteous. And, shhhhhhh, don't tell anyone, but the ATF guys were actually pro-gunners who only target criminals. If word of this gets out it will ruin the ATF's reputation of being gun stealing nazis.

I thought local LEO's couldnt enforce Federal law?

edit: asked my cop brother: if you saw something visible that was in violation of Fed law but not state law you could detain til Feds arrived. State law basically covers all the NFA stuff, so you could arrest for NFA stuff if they couldnt produce a copy of tax stamp.

disregard :)

SJRTX
08-10-2007, 21:11

And btw, you never know what the Feds are going to do. Just because they dont arrest you, doesnt mean they dont think you havent done something illegal.

The FBI likes to pull this trick: theyll get enough on you to serve a warrant, but instead call you up and say "hey look, word is you did such and such, and if you have time Id like for you to come down and talk to me about it." Then you get there and they say something like "Are you sure you can do this today? We can do this another time if today isnt good for you" All recorded of course, to show you were there on your own volition. Now you dont have to be mirandized... So who knows what really was going on, or if its even true. but the fact that the ATF didnt arrest them on the spot doesnt mean anything to me.

Supposedly the information came from Dave, according to the threadstarter. My brother deals with Dave on almost a regular basis. Maybe he can get the real story..

Captain Boogie
08-11-2007, 14:56
I thought local LEO's couldnt enforce Federal law?

VA, and other states, also have state laws to the same effect. So, any local sworn officer could enforce them, in their jurisdiction, of course:thumbsup:

bno762
08-12-2007, 11:03
ATF's reputation of being gun stealing nazis.
I thought it was "jack-booted thugs". 6 of one half a dozen of the other?