Sunroof troubleshooting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof troubleshooting

TxSoldier
08-06-2007, 20:52
I have a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire that has a sunroof that works only part of the time. It's been doing it forever but I finally want to actuall fix it. A few years ago I had an electrician friend check the switch and he said it was good. Could be bad by now, anyways......what it does is when you press the button to open it it'll only open about 2in or so then stop. Sometimes then you can't get it to close again. I'll leave it sit and just try it randomly and it'll eventually close again. Is the motor going out? How can I check? I know NOTHING of sunroofs at all, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Travis

THOF
08-07-2007, 18:14
Since you say the motor will move some then stop and move a little more after you wait a bit id say the motor is about to go. Some of GM's motors have a thermal resistor in them that will heat up and trip when the motor is overloaded causing the motor to stop. Then you can wait a few minutes and get it to work again for a few seconds once it cools some then it will trip again from you're post that sounds like what it is to me.

TxSoldier
08-09-2007, 21:30
Makes sense to me. Is that something that someone can do on their own? How much does a new or rebuilt motor cost for a sunroof? Thanks alot for your response too!

Travis

THOF
08-10-2007, 06:53
I don't know where to snag a motor from other then GM and im told they want around $350 for one which is just crazy. You're best bet to get one is probably ebay or a junk yard. I also don't know if could do it on you're own or not I don't know how mechanically inclined you are and what tools you have access to. I also have never really tore into a sunroof so I don't know how much of a pain it would be.

TxSoldier
08-10-2007, 08:20
I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I try and do all my own work unless it's somethin I just don't have the proper tools for or if it's computer/black box realated lol.