El Cheapo first bike [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : El Cheapo first bike

aaronrkelly
08-08-2007, 18:37
I bought my first motorycle today....just something to scoot around on and get used to 2 wheels.

1980 KZ1000 - paid $900 for it with 18K miles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/aaronrkelly/Vehicles/Picture007.jpg

I have an appt on Wednesday to get an exhaust leak fixed (one of the studs is stripped out so it needs tapped) and a new rear tire (more worn than I would like).

After that and an oil change she should be good to go.

Has far more power then I expected from an old bike, plenty enough to haul me around.

It may not be new or fancy....but its paid for.

whogasak47
08-08-2007, 20:18
for less than $1500. you have a good scoot. Good Luck And Ride Safe:thumbsup:

DaisyCutter
08-09-2007, 08:21
OH hell yes! That bike can chug aroud with ease, or haul butt if you want. Put some good treads on it, and you'll be surprised.

I'd also recommend bleeding and changing the brake fluid.

You've got a very good and capable motorcycle there, and the price was right too. Congrats!

Have you tried kickstarting it yet?

aaronrkelly
08-09-2007, 13:22
Originally posted by DaisyCutter

Have you tried kickstarting it yet?

No, is their more to it then Im thinking.....

DaisyCutter
08-09-2007, 15:16
Originally posted by aaronrkelly
No, is their more to it then Im thinking.....

I have no clue. There's something kinda sinister about a 1000cc mill mated to a kickstarter though.... :thumbsup:

michael t
08-09-2007, 20:43
They used to scoot pretty quick . With 18000 miles Might be a real suprise:banana:
Nice buy check chain and sprockets also. I agree with changing brake fluid.

aaronrkelly
08-10-2007, 07:54
I have no clue. There's something kinda sinister about a 1000cc mill mated to a kickstarter though.... :thumbsup:

I tried it for giggles.....turns over hard. I never did get it successfully started. Perhaps if I was going to be stranded somewhere I could kick harder....but in the 90 degree heat the starter button was calling my name.

ndbullet500
08-10-2007, 12:01
I'm not an expert on kz1000s by any means, but I have owned a 74 kz400 (what can I say, I like verticle twins) and picked up a bit about the bigger Kwaks along the way.

A KZ1000 is not a little scoot-about old sled. Some of them put out around 100hp in the late 70s early 80s. That's not far off many modern 600 sportbikes. But heavier and with less capable brakes and chassis. I've only ridden one Z1, and it was pretty damn fast once you got it spinning.

Just keep in mind that you have MORE than enough power to get into a dicey situation pretty quickly on that bike.

Oh, and I like it. :thumbsup:

tehan2
08-10-2007, 13:17

Tuned properly (play with the timing a bit)it's not bad. My 95pound wife use to kick start my shovelhead and ironhead harleys. There were times that people would give her a standing ovation because she would kick them over with one kick. Now that we are a little older the push button works easier.

epsylum
08-10-2007, 16:48
BTW that 1000cc can become 1800cc+ if you have the cash. ;)

The KZ 900 and up and the GS 1000 and up are still some of the most popular drag bikes around. They use roller bearing cranks and have a crap load of metal in the engine that can be milled out. They weigh a ton, but are built like tanks.

BTW I very much like it :thumbsup:

aaronrkelly
08-10-2007, 19:33
Originally posted by ndbullet500
I'm not an expert on kz1000s by any means, but I have owned a 74 kz400 (what can I say, I like verticle twins) and picked up a bit about the bigger Kwaks along the way.

A KZ1000 is not a little scoot-about old sled. Some of them put out around 100hp in the late 70s early 80s. That's not far off many modern 600 sportbikes. But heavier and with less capable brakes and chassis. I've only ridden one Z1, and it was pretty damn fast once you got it spinning.

Just keep in mind that you have MORE than enough power to get into a dicey situation pretty quickly on that bike.

Oh, and I like it. :thumbsup:

Ive read the 1980 KZ1000 was rated at a VERY conservative 85hp and it was really more like 100hp or so. I dont doubt it, I dont get to crazy on it with my limited motorcycle riding experience but I knows its there. The throttle is really responsive. So far I like it. I took my wife for a ride around today....with my large ass and hers on there it was quite a load but no issues with power......just shock travel.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
08-11-2007, 08:55
That's a beautiful old "classic sportbike" you've got, a bargain at the price you paid. Quite alot of engine for a beginner, be careful! I'd also recommend you keep it for a very long time rather than ever sell/trade.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
08-11-2007, 09:04
...and personally I'd replace both tires with modern radials. Just looking your front (outdated tread pattern and probably hard rubber compound), I'd guess you'd gain lots of braking and handling capability with a set of radials.

aaronrkelly
08-11-2007, 13:24
Originally posted by J.R. Bob Dobbs
...and personally I'd replace both tires with modern radials. Just looking your front (outdated tread pattern and probably hard rubber compound), I'd guess you'd gain lots of braking and handling capability with a set of radials.

Have an appt on Wednesday to get a few issues looked at as well as a new rear tire, Dunlop I believe was the brand they recommended. Hadnt paid much attention to the front tire, just made sure there was plenty of tread left....and there was. Guess I never thought about it much.

spober
08-11-2007, 15:11
man i love the sound of a 4 cylinder aircooled 4 into one header at 9000 RPM!.one of the great internal combustion engine sounds

aaronrkelly
08-11-2007, 15:23
Originally posted by spober
man i love the sound of a 4 cylinder aircooled 4 into one header at 9000 RPM!.one of the great internal combustion engine sounds

Its not that bad when your on the bike.....but it has no baffles or anything, its a loud sum-a-beach. I wish it was a little quieter. The carbs have also not been adjusted for the lack of exhaust.....it runs a little lean, might foul a plug occasionally but so far no problems.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
08-11-2007, 22:58
Here's a pic of AMA Superbike Champ Eddie Lawson racing his 1982 KZ1000.

epsylum
08-12-2007, 15:41
Originally posted by spober

KZs with a megaphone exhaust (like a Vance & Hines sidewinder) may be louder than hell, but DAMN they sound good.

DaisyCutter
08-13-2007, 08:26
Here's a red Eddie Lawson replica 2004 ZRX1200R (owned by a fellow Kawa rider) ;)

http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL639/2678265/5348258/233151783.jpg

JimK
08-16-2007, 07:22
Looks pretty good for a 1980 . If it runs half as good then you you did good for a lot less $$$$$$$$ than most here have spent on their rides . Just be careful and always respect those cages out there.And have fun!

aaronrkelly
08-17-2007, 21:41
Just got it back from the local rice bike gods

Man, I really like these guys, top notch work and GREAT prices.

1 new Dunlop rear tire, mounted
1 new Dunlop front tire, mounted
1 new clutch cable, installed
1 new speedometer cable, installed
tapped and repair threads in head to fix exhaust leak
changed oil

total - $327

I was super impressed. The got the bike Friday morning, the parts came in at noon.....I was riding off at 3pm. A new set of rubber really makes a bike look nice.

These guys will be my cycle people....no questions asked.

PS> Im thinking about dropping by and giving this guy a $20 tip for doing such an awesome job.....or would just just be "weird" after the fact.

epsylum
08-17-2007, 22:42
Tip him if you want. And by him I mean the actual mechanic that worked on it, not the service manager or whoever wrote up the ticket. Just remind him what bike it was and thank him for the work. My brother had to quit being a professional motorcycle mechanic because he didn't make enough money to pay his bills and he was the best paid mechanic there and this was at one of the largest bike dealerships in the state and the oldest currently operating Honda dealer in the country.

What I am trying to say is that he will appreciate it, especially since he will probably only see a 1/3- 1/2 of the labor charge after the shop takes their cut.

aaronrkelly
08-18-2007, 07:32
Originally posted by epsylum
Tip him if you want. And by him I mean the actual mechanic that worked on it, not the service manager or whoever wrote up the ticket. Just remind him what bike it was and thank him for the work. My brother had to quit being a professional motorcycle mechanic because he didn't make enough money to pay his bills and he was the best paid mechanic there and this was at one of the largest bike dealerships in the state and the oldest currently operating Honda dealer in the country.

What I am trying to say is that he will appreciate it, especially since he will probably only see a 1/3- 1/2 of the labor charge after the shop takes their cut.

This place is a little different, family owned and basically amounts to a garage alongside the road. They open the door when they are open and close it when they arent.

No fancy showrooms, hes the only one working there right now as his father and brother are taking care of some medical stuff - his brother was paralyzed in a motorcycle accident a while back.

Im still sure he would appreciate the tip...he was definitely worth more than he charged. Everyone else I know are Harley riders, they said that work at the nearest dealership would have been double.

Gasoil4ever
08-18-2007, 08:08
Excellent Ride !

You should change your tires (at least the front one)...

Ride Safe !

Gasoil4ever

aaronrkelly
08-18-2007, 08:13
Originally posted by Gasoil4ever
Excellent Ride !

You should change your tires (at least the front one)...

Ride Safe !

Gasoil4ever

Read a few posts up, just got it back from the cycle shop.....all new rubber and a few other issues taken care of.

Shes good to go now.....hopefully for a long time.

Total money invested:

$1230

DriBak
08-21-2007, 16:10
:thumbsup: