Human Weapon on History Channel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Human Weapon on History Channel

hotlunch
08-08-2007, 20:54
Can't believe no one has brought this topic up yet. Great show!

Bullman
08-09-2007, 04:31
While I am not a martial artist, other than shooting that is, I watched the episode the other night on escrima and I was intrigued. Do you know if it is taught much in the US? or is it something one would most likely have to travel to the Phillipines to study.

ltgibson2001
08-09-2007, 19:42
It's taught all over the US. There is also KAli and Arnis which are very similar to Escrima and are also FMA.

hotlunch
08-09-2007, 19:50
So far I think all the styles of fighting they have shown are available to learn here in America. I know you can get classes in Muy Thai and of course Karate and escrima.

Doubt the French fighting method (savat or whatever it's called) is taught around here though. That one will probably be a so-so episode. I'm looking forward to the one on Israeli Krav Maga. Now that is a fighting method that seems useful.

I'm thinking of getting the show on DVD now that it's available.

ltgibson2001
08-09-2007, 20:01
Originally posted by hotlunch
I'm looking forward to the one on Israeli Krav Maga. Now that is a fighting method that seems useful.

It is !!!! But I'm kind of biased because I'm an Instructor. Alot of it was taken from other Martial Arts systems and some of it they came up with on their own and refined it from a working perspective for their military and national police. It is strictly self defense though and doesn't really have a sport application like other martial arts do. That's neither a good thing or a bad thing ( because I like sport fighting/mma)but just what Krav Maga is.

Bullman
08-09-2007, 20:04
I think what I enjoyed most about escrima is the stick work. I think I would most likely enjoy anything with sticks:supergrin:

hotlunch
08-11-2007, 18:39
My problem is that there are aspects of most of these different fighting methods that I want to learn. Like some of those blows in karate but also the stick work of escrima would come in handy I imagine (should the need ever arise).

I'm not really into the "sport" of fighting, tournaments and all that, rather, I just want to learn for myself. It's a dangerous world out there.

mitchshrader
08-11-2007, 18:45
i get this uncontrollable craving to put a barrel and magazine and bayonet on them. ;)

ltgibson2001
08-11-2007, 20:25
I'm not really into the "sport" of fighting, tournaments and all that, rather, I just want to learn for myself. It's a dangerous world out there.

Then Krav Maga would definately be right up your alley. Nothing real fancy, just straight forward RBSD.

Steel Talon
08-12-2007, 23:33
Originally posted by Bullman
While I am not a martial artist, other than shooting that is, I watched the episode the other night on escrima and I was intrigued. Do you know if it is taught much in the US? or is it something one would most likely have to travel to the Phillipines to study.

Well to seek out information I suggest to start here ~Check this webb site

www.professorpresas.com

There are other schools of FMA that you can research Google

Varnisjitsu
Dogbrothers
Escrima
Kali

Its a great art everything relates to Stick/ blade/empty hand.

Peace
ST~

Krigloch
08-13-2007, 23:26
good show. those karate guys were nuts

hotlunch
08-14-2007, 21:56
Okay, I talked with a Tae Kwan Do "master" today and he went on this rant about how Escrima isn't taught here in America because it's illegal and the results of its use are illegal, meaning a person using the method could get sued.

I was unable to find any place locally that taught it so I'm wondering what the real deal is now. Anyone know?

ltgibson2001
08-15-2007, 08:34
It's not illegal in here in America. It's like anything else liability wise. If somebody wanted to sue you for using escrima as a defense against them they could. Just like they could if you picked a pool stick and hit them with it. Whoever told you that probably thinks that if you become a Black Belt in a Martial Art that you have to register your hands as a lethal weapon.(which you don't)
Tell us where you are located and I will see if I can find some Escrima schools near you.

Steel Talon
08-15-2007, 08:35
Okay, I talked with a Tae Kwan Do "master" today and he went on this rant about how Escrima isn't taught here in America because it's illegal and the results of its use are illegal, meaning a person using the method could get sued.

I was unable to find any place locally that taught it so I'm wondering what the real deal is now. Anyone know?

WTF???:shocked:

walangkatapat
08-16-2007, 00:44

Try here:
Inosanto (http://inosanto.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=17&Itemid=62)

gr81disp
08-16-2007, 01:03
Take One's Dough masters are into MA for one reason.

http://blogs.venturacountystar.com/vcs/dennert/archives/money.jpg

GroovedG19
08-16-2007, 03:05
I watch the show and like the fact that the instructors demonstrates some crippling techniques.It is fairly obvious that the match at the end of each show, the professional fighter is merely toying with the Americans.

Halojumper
08-16-2007, 17:52

You shouldn't believe anything a TKD guy tells you.

hotlunch
08-17-2007, 22:44
Jason Chambers got pwned in the Judo episode! I don't think he scored once against his opponent. Was interesting ep.

Gonetodarkside
08-24-2007, 11:24
Originally posted by gr81disp
Take One's Dough masters are into MA for one reason.

http://blogs.venturacountystar.com/vcs/dennert/archives/money.jpg

this can be said for all commercialized martial arts.

Gonetodarkside
08-24-2007, 11:25
Originally posted by Halojumper
You shouldn't believe anything a TKD guy tells you.

unfortunately this is mostly true.

that being said i have a black belt in tkd.

there is definately a lot of bullshido out there, but the real truth is it is prevalent in all arts.

Mushin
08-25-2007, 15:29
Learn as much as you can about all the various arts, and then empty your mind when in combat (No Mind) "mu-shin"... I was trained in Kung foo san soo, aikido, Tai chi, and S.C.A.R.S a brutal no nonsense form of fighting taught to Seals at one time, which was a combo of Kung fu san soo and hand to hand. To learn more about emptying your mind and Mu-shin, check out the book soul sword by kitabu last name turner.

ltgibson2001
09-03-2007, 22:00
The Krav Maga episode was pretty good all in all...in case you missed it here is a humorous link to one segment of it on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4or7iAPom_M