UFC 75 - August 25, 2007 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : UFC 75 - August 25, 2007

agarr
08-12-2007, 07:45
Who is your pick???

I will be first to say Anderson Silva is going to defeat Rich Franklin- again........:banana:

Probably by TKO in the 2nd, but possibly by submission. His BJJ is something he hasn't had to show Franklin- yet.

I thought that Silva Muay Thai exhibition during the last fight was textbook. Franklin sure wasn't ready for it.

Silva is one of the best strikers in the division and that is just part of his skill set.:supergrin:

What say ye?

(Edited - looks like the Silva/Franklin fight has been delayed)................

Islander-11
08-12-2007, 10:33
I'm excited to watch this one. All I know is that I am the single worst prognosticator of all times when it comes to MMA.

I've read some interviews with Gonzaga and Coture. It's refreshing to see the respect that each man has for the other. Should be a great night.

agarr
08-12-2007, 15:05
It's MMA......... anyone can be beaten:thumbsup:

gr81disp
08-13-2007, 01:52
Silva's Bjj isn't really anything to write home about. If Lutter hadn't been swept with a sweep I have honestly never seen work on anybody but the whitest belts (bringing your legs up and catching the guy in mount) he had Silva beaten.

agarr
08-13-2007, 06:28
Originally posted by gr81disp
Silva's Bjj isn't really anything to write home about. If Lutter hadn't been swept with a sweep I have honestly never seen work on anybody but the whitest belts (bringing your legs up and catching the guy in mount) he had Silva beaten.

Silva's BJJ isn't anything to write home about??

He beat Lutter - easily.

He is a Black belt under Noguira......... Silva is Widely regarded as the best BJJ Middleweight in MMA.

Also described as the best Middleweight striker. Brazilian Muay Thai Champion (several times).......as Franklin found out

Perhaps you haven't seen as many of his fights as I have. He has over 100 Tournament Victories all over the world.......he is much more experienced than Franklin.

I will stand by my prediction.:tongueout: :rofl:

walangkatapat
08-13-2007, 21:28
Franklin better come up with some counters for knees if he wants a chance to win. Silva made it look way too easy the first time not to be the favorite the second go around.

gr81disp
08-14-2007, 10:16
If Silva beat Lutter so easily, how come he almost got stopped when Lutter was raining down punches from mount? And best BJJ at middleweight? I would like to introduce you to Paulo Filho. He will not fight Silva because they are friends, but Filho's Bjj is lightyears ahead of Silva's.

agarr
08-14-2007, 12:51
Originally posted by gr81disp
If Silva beat Lutter so easily, how come he almost got stopped when Lutter was raining down punches from mount? And best BJJ at middleweight? I would like to introduce you to Paulo Filho. He will not fight Silva because they are friends, but Filho's Bjj is lightyears ahead of Silva's.

Perhaps, but Silva will defeat Franklin again.............:banana:

gr81disp
08-16-2007, 00:57
I do think Silva will beat Franklin again, but I have learned to never count out Franklin. After DESTROYING Evan Tanner and David Loiseau in what I thought were going to be wars, he earned my respect. Now if he could learn how to get out of a thai clinch...

TRMN8R
08-20-2007, 11:31
Obviously I'm biased against Silva since he beat my favorite fighter, but at least I admit it up front.

That aside, Silva is just not overly impressive. Really.

He might have good jits, but he's far from the best striker...which is suprisingly what he beat Franklin with the first time, so why say he'll do anything against him with his "amazing" BJJ? I say, he won't get the chance.

Clearly, you were unaware that Franklin had two or three injuries going into the fight with Silva. I'm not using that as an "excuse", and more importantly, neither did Franklin. It was a title fight and he wasn't about to back out, injuries aside. He knows that's what he gets paid for.

The point is, he was not the 100% he'd been in all his previous dominations, including not one, but two over a major banger like Evan Tanner. Rich is a far greater striker than Silva could ever hope to be. One only need look at his record to realize the biggest percentage of his wins came from ref stoppages due to overbearingly whaling the crap out of his opponents or straight TKO's. And he's still 23-2.

Silva's 19-4. Definitely a decent MMA record, but who's equally as tough as Rich that he's beaten in the UFC? Nate Marquardt? The guy's tough, but not as well-rounded as Franklin, IMHO. Chris Leben? Not even. Love that guy, but still way too raw and emotional, which is what gets him in trouble. Travis Lutter? Nowhere close. And that's it. Whoop-tee-friggin'-do :upeyes: . And, as has already been pointed out by my counter-part, Lutter was owning Silva from the mount, until he got a little sloppy. Not exactly what I'd define as an "easy" win, were I Silva.

Lastly, being that Ace dispatched of Loiseau they way he did, I feel absolutely certain he can deal with Silva easily enough...if he worked on getting out of the Thai clinch. Even if he was dumb enough to underestimate Silva (and, don't get me wrong, I know he does have skill), he will NOT make the same mistake twice. And he WILL (at least, hopefully) be 100% for Silva/Franklin 2.

gr81disp
08-22-2007, 22:06
Sorry, but Silva's striking is better than Franklin's. Period. Silva has probably the best striking at Middleweight. Not to say Franklin is a slouch. I was surprised when I rewatched his fight saw that before he got caught in the thai clinch he was holding his own, which is a BIG accomplishment. Franklin HAS to stay out of the thai clinch and us his wrestling to shut down Silva's striking. Franklin has proven that he has the skills to stand and bang with Silva for at least a short period of time, now he has to use that skill to close the distance and take Silva down.

Silva has ok jits but as shown but Lutter, is lacking in his wrestling which provides Miletich trained Franklin an opening to win. This will NOT be an easy fight for either fighter (unless Franklin can't get out of the clinch) but Franklin can win, he just has to have the right gameplan.