how do you make coffee? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : how do you make coffee?

97guns
08-12-2007, 10:26
ive always loved strong coffee and my mr coffe drip machine just wasnt cutting it. ive been boiling the grounds in a pot on the stove and straining them out with a very fine stainless steel strainer that i got at a dollar store when i was on vacation in hawaii. i boil them for a few minutes and it really gets all the flavor out of the grinds, ive tried an on the stove purculator as well but i like this method alot more. with the drip machine i really felt the grinds were going to waste from lack of extraction.

Mild Bill
08-12-2007, 15:23
If it works for you, keep doing it that way--- but more properly, you would bring water just short of a boil,
remove from the heat, add the grounds & let steep for 3-5 minutes--- then strain...
There are bitter acids that come out of the grounds when they're in for too long & too hot...

:beer:

tat2guy
08-12-2007, 23:21
I've been using a single serving French press recently and i freaking love it. Especially now tht we have a really freaking hot summer goimg on, I add a dash of cinnamon to the fresh ground beans, make my cup of coffe, and then pour it into a tall glass of ice- dang is it good iced coffee.

JimBianchi
08-12-2007, 23:35
Italian esspresso maker.

Goes right on the stove top, cost $15 or less at a big import store.

Looks like a small double boiler a little.

Great cup-a-joe in about three minutes.

Add an equal amount of warm milk and you got a latte for 50 cents.

chip00
08-14-2007, 11:04
I use a simple Melita system cone, filter and pot. Hot water is poured over the ground coffee and filters into the pot.
Very simple and you can control the intensity of the blend by adjusting the coffee to water ratio.

Now if I could only get a GOOD, CHEAP coffee roaster.

I already import my beans by mail from Costa Rica. (Cafe Britt)

UTKEngineer
08-14-2007, 13:25
Originally posted by JimBianchi
Italian esspresso maker.

Goes right on the stove top, cost $15 or less at a big import store.

Looks like a small double boiler a little.

Great cup-a-joe in about three minutes.

Add an equal amount of warm milk and you got a latte for 50 cents.

Sounds like a Moka pot. Which definitely does make some awesome coffee!

woodstove
08-14-2007, 17:44
ineedcoffee.com lots of info about coffee without trying to sell you anything. Everything from home roasting to proper brewing.ineedcoffee.com (http://) http://ineedcoffee.com

MrsKitty
08-14-2007, 20:32
Water goes on the stove in a teapot. While it is heating, I grind my beans and dump them into a French press. When the teapot starts gurgling (is that the right word???) right before it would whistle, I add hot water to the press. I stir then wait about five minutes. Press and pour.

NISMOTom
09-04-2007, 22:46
I use a stovetop 3 cup cuban coffeepot.

Cafe Cubano or Cafe con Leche or bust in this house.

I have a Krups Espresso machine... but the stovetop makes much better Cafe Cubano.

PDogSniper
09-07-2007, 11:48
I put 1-1/3 cup of water in a Pyrex measuring cup in the Microwave for 2 minutes, 30 seconds. Once out of the MW I put 1 rounded tablespoon of Cafe' Britt, coffee from Costa Rica in the hot water, stir and let it steep for a minute or so. I then strain it through two layers of Muslin into my coffee cup...

IMHO, this is far better that a French Press as it gets out all the sediment that a FP lets through...

You can also let the coffee grounds settle towards the bottom by gently stirring the top froth and pour your coffee off the top... You'll get a few grounds this way but it's all good. This way your coffee touches nothing but Pyrex and your coffee cup...:)

Romadoc
10-04-2007, 22:28
I use a 50 year old "FlavorSeal by Cory" vacuum pot to prepare the day's coffee. Result is put into a pre-heated Nissan vac-pot, which keeps things hot (well at least warm) for up to 8 hours. When we feel the need for espresso, I use my Expobar Office Control.
Regardless of which method I use, the key is fresh ground bean. For this, I use a Mazzer Mini. Nothing replaces fresh ground coffee.

citori59
10-05-2007, 03:17
At home we just use an automatic drip. It makes pretty good coffee. At camp we use a perk on the stove with water right out of our spring. That, my friends, is the best coffee around.

Dean
10-05-2007, 08:27
I buy my beans fresh and perfectly ground for espresso at a place that will only sell you one or two pounds at a time. That's their way of insuring that you have only enough of their coffee on hand so it's always fresh.

I've got a stainless steel Breville espresso machine from Australia. To make foam, I heat and froth cream in an All-Clad metalcrafters chef's pan with a coiled wire pan whisk on the stove. It takes two minutes and works better than the steam nozzle.

I like raw sugar in my coffee. There's a Tahitian vanilla bean split open and stuck down in the sugar canister, to flavor my sugar with a hint of fruity Tahitian vanilla.

This whole coffee system sounds "fruity." I know that.
But it makes cappuccino that will blow the top of your head off with flavor and "nose."
Hey. I'm a civillian now.
There'll be no more Greek diner paper cups of Joe on the fly while running hot to the next savage and disgusting "guy hacked to pieces-under the train" job for me, boys.

"'Jou do it. I' reTIRE'.":drillsgt:

I wonder if I can buy those Greek diner paper cups in bulk..I sort of miss those sometimes.

tat2guy
10-10-2007, 10:36
The other day I broke my cheap Ikea French press and went and bought a nice new Bodum French press- it really does make a world of difference! Not least of all because it has a screen in front of the spout to further prevent getting grounds in your cup of coffee. Also because it came with directions that actually had a couple hints that have improved my coffee! (It never occured to me to stir the grounds and hot water together before! Who knew?)

Bren
02-29-2008, 07:51
ive always loved strong coffee and my mr coffe drip machine just wasnt cutting it. ive been boiling the grounds in a pot on the stove and straining them out with a very fine stainless steel strainer that i got at a dollar store when i was on vacation in hawaii. i boil them for a few minutes and it really gets all the flavor out of the grinds, ive tried an on the stove purculator as well but i like this method alot more. with the drip machine i really felt the grinds were going to waste from lack of extraction.

I assume you are grinding the coffee one pot at a time and not trying to get flavor out of pre-ground coffee - that's the biggest secret I know. Other than that, I use my Mr. Coffee with the insulated pot - too much heat, as from boiling or percolating, kills the flavor.

Alton Brown had an episode of Good Eats that was all about coffee and worth watching. He made his coffee by grinding fresh roasted beans to just the right grind, then putting it in a filter on a hand held filter holder and pouring water at just the right temperature (too hot was very bad) through the filter, held over an insulated thermos. The keys were bean quality, grind and water purity and temperature.

uhlawpup
02-29-2008, 08:11
Also keep in mind that it may not be the method, but the coffee that you're having a problem with.

All of the above information is good, but if the coffee itself is not capable of the "strength" you desire, it's time for you to try other types, both single-bean and blend, until you find what you're looking for in "strength" and what suits your method of preparation.

Some coffee knowledge is non-intuitive, as I learned in one of my recent cooking classes. For example, the lighter the roast, the stronger the caffeine "kick." Surprised? I was! It turns out that the more you roast coffee - within reason - the less caffeine it will have and the more acid it will retain. (This is why most breakfast blends are light or medium roast, and most dinner blends are dark roast.)

Hence, if by "stronger" you mean more caffeine "kick," go to a medium or light roast coffee. If by "stronger" you mean "more robust flavor/higher acidity," go for medum dark or dark roast.

Big Bird
02-29-2008, 16:53
I press two or three buttons depending on whether I want coffee, espresso, etc... I might have to press one more to steam and froth the milk for a latte from time to time....best money I've ever spent on a kitchen appliance.

http://www.capresso.com/automatic-coffee-centers-e-series.shtml

93GT
02-29-2008, 18:04
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh158/ptcruzinmama02/coffeepot.jpg

mitchshrader
02-29-2008, 18:08
quart of boiling water. turn off heat. wait a minute for it to cool. dump in a cupful of fresh roasted, burr ground coffee. (yes, a cupful)

stir it a little. dump it in the french press and squish it. drank it.

if you're doing it in quantity it's one dry oz ground coffee per liter water; a lb of sincere beans makes 4 gallons.

windplex
02-29-2008, 18:27

Try this:
French roast only if the beans are very dark and very oily -- fresh.

grind for 4 seconds.

bring water to a boil; let water come off the boil

pour water into "french press" (also great shtf maker) and push press filter just below surface of water so grinds submurged.

allow grinds to steep for 3 min IIRC before last step -- plunging press downward to filterout the grinds.

Drink and enjoy the best and simplest coffee around -- cannot make a mistake with this recepie.

And gosh darn it I am limited to decaf FR. Oh well it is still good!

Ps. Get the plastic (poly carbinate -- best for shtf too and camping) french press if you are anything like me you will end up with several presses and no glass to use:( They can break in the sink if glass.

windplex
02-29-2008, 18:29
quart of boiling water. turn off heat. wait a minute for it to cool. dump in a cupful of fresh roasted, burr ground coffee. (yes, a cupful)

stir it a little. dump it in the french press and squish it. drank it.

if you're doing it in quantity it's one dry oz ground coffee per liter water; a lb of sincere beans makes 4 gallons.

Missed your post.

Great minds...:)

windplex
02-29-2008, 18:30
I use a double scoop for each cup of coffee. I grew up with sicilian stove top expresso so I like mine strong and well made.

Try this:
French roast only if the beans are very dark and very oily -- fresh.

grind for 4 seconds.

bring water to a boil; let water come off the boil

pour water into "french press" (also great shtf maker) and push press filter just below surface of water so grinds submurged.

allow grinds to steep for 3 min IIRC before last step -- plunging press downward to filterout the grinds.

Drink and enjoy the best and simplest coffee around -- cannot make a mistake with this recepie.

And gosh darn it I am limited to decaf FR. Oh well it is still good!

Ps. Get the plastic (poly carbinate -- best for shtf too and camping) french press if you are anything like me you will end up with several presses and no glass to use:( They can break in the sink if glass.

noway
02-29-2008, 20:21
from another thread a picture says a 1k words

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/kenfelix/cafe/cafe05.jpg

windplex
03-01-2008, 07:32
Natural health tip.

Ever heard of a coffee enema? Well I have an easier way.

Over grind the beans -- make them into dust.

brew your coffee.

swish the coffee around at the bottom of your cup to float the remaining fine grounds and drink them -- will put hair on your chest if nothing else.

But will also (if caffeinated) will clean out your bowl system oer the course of the morning; DO NOT GO FAR FROM THE CAN NO MATTER WHAT NUMBER or how recent your last TRIP WAS;)

Learned this by accident. Now have the 4 second grind rule:)

MB-G26
03-11-2008, 01:19
For example, the lighter the roast, the stronger the caffeine "kick." Surprised? I was! It turns out that the more you roast coffee - within reason - the less caffeine it will have and the more acid it will retain.

Is it possible to achieve maximum medicinal value (aka caffeine content) AND have the coffee be a dark or deeper-flavored roast that the lighter roast?

I like moderately 'strong' coffee.... and I REALLY need as much caffeine in it as possible? Are the two forever mutually exclusive?

GlockRik
03-11-2008, 01:25
TechniVorm. I'm now making coffee that I was going to a coffee shop to get before. The key to good coffee is temperature and good beans. I'm wimping out by buying Starbucks ground coffee, but it's still good.

Rik

KAZ
03-15-2008, 07:02
Rik is right about this one! Try a TECNIVORM, you may consider it expensive unless you realize that it will last many years. The Technivorm is the only auto that professional coffee people will use. You will get the perfect brew that French press,etc provide and it makes 10 cups of coffee. Also decant into a Nissan carafe after the brew cycle, it will be hot and retain the flavor for many hours. Try home roasting for truly fresh coffee. Green beans will store for a year, but fade fast once roasted.There are automatic roasters(I use IRoast) that will roast in less than ten minutes. You will have premium coffee for half the retail price. Regards

mitchshrader
03-25-2008, 11:25
the way to get dark roast taste and light roast caffeine is to make a melange. blend beans roasted to 2nd crack with those just past 1st crack, (much sweeter) .. and you can be all thrilled with the aroma and flavor and zing all at the same time.

another trick is, use slightly cooler water than usual, and about 1.5x the coffee you think you need, (1 or 2 degrees cooler, a shade). . then let it steep 4 minutes, and french press it.. zap it about 10 seconds in the nuke-ro-wave if necessary, (Blasphemy!) but if you're a purist you can rinse your cup with boiling water first, or zap it with a shot of steam from an espresso gadget. .

anyway, it'll be stronger'n dirt and sweet too. hefty coffee. another good way is to make real 'american' coffee and drop a double espresso in it, an americano. sturdy stuff. have you jogging by starbucks and sneering at em. .

MB-G26
03-30-2008, 04:18
I'd love to try the TECNIVORM thingie, but the budget isn't in the market for a new coffee machine. Darn..... sounds wonderful!

Ok Mitch.. get ready to laugh at me:
blend beans roasted to 2nd crack with those just past 1st crack

Can I get such beans at a regular grocery, or would it be internet/mail order type scenario? I just can't imagine walking into the grocery store and asking an employee which whole bean coffees have been roasted to what degree of "crack" LOL!