Prior service, thinking of Reserves... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Prior service, thinking of Reserves...

Grim Jackal
08-12-2007, 10:42
Hello,

I'm prior Active Duty Service, USMC, and am thinking about going back in, for the reserves this time. Funny thing is, the same tattoos that I got while in the Corps are now a no-no because they are on the forearms. So to avoid all of the Political BS, I thought about either the Army or Navy and am talking to both Recruiters.

Things is, the Army wants me to look at going PysOps (Airborne) for my Reserve and it really sounds interesting. Just curious if anyone out there is in a Army Reserve PysOps Company and A: do you like it, B: How often do you deploy, and C: Can you get a lot opportunities for hi-speed training in this field.

Just curious as the Navy wants to make me a Master at Arms which is like their Police Force. I am currently am in Law Enforcement for almost 9 years and kind of getting burnt out on it and am looking to do something different on the side. The Army deal sounds interesting and I've checked their Web sights/Forums, talked a little with the recruiter, just looking for some info from anyone here.

Sorry if this is long. And Yes, I am married, but my wife supports this so it is a non-issue.

xxiv
08-12-2007, 12:55
What's your definition of high speed training?

Sniper, RSLC, Airborne, Ranger, Pathfinder, AASLT, SERE, etc?

I'm unsure of the slots available for RC PsyOps guys but I doubt it is a priority of theirs past MOS centric training. If anybody with experience in that field says otherwise I will stand corrected.

I can say I'd probably rather do anything but be an MP/MA, and especially if you've been civvy LEO for almost a decade.

What was your MOS in the Marines? GL in whatever you chose.

Sam White
08-12-2007, 14:44
Not reserve PsyOps, although I've known one or two.

What I know for sure is that the USAR recruiter will push you to pick an MOS used by a nearby unit. I'm guessing you have a PsyOps unit nearby?

Anyway, those types of units deploy quite a bit from what I know.

The previous poster was right on about training- in the USAR your unit will give you the exact training you need to be productive in that unit. It's possible to get schools beyond AIT/Airborne/WLC/BCNOC, etc. but not common.

FWIW, I don't think I'd do MAA either.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Grim Jackal
08-12-2007, 21:53
Yeah, the Reserve PysOps unit is about 12 miles from me. I always wanted jump wings, and that's parts of the requirements for the unit, so I find that interesting.

For the most part, I want to finish out my time in the reserves for a full twenty years or more. The MA/MP thing is the last thing I want to do as I pretty much do that now and I want a change of environment with out losing my current job as it is good pay and decent retirement benefits.

As for the Marine Corps, I ended up with three MOS, Admin (Not by choice), Machine Gunner (OJT), and Primary Weapons Instructor/Range Coach. I deployed twice (WestPac) and was going to re-up for Light Armored Recon, but I wanted to start a Family first and be finiacally sound first.

The only other thing that interests me is Small Arms Armorer, also checking into that.

Thanks for the replies guys...