Carry ammo question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry ammo question

psybain
08-12-2007, 13:03
Does anyone here know what kind of rounds either the State Troopers, or Craven Co. Sheriff carry? I'm about to get my ccw, and I want to have the same rounds they use in the rare event that I have to defend myself, and then have to go to court because of it. Thanks.

Glocks&Ducs
08-12-2007, 14:09
I don't know the answer to your question, but I know what you are thinking. And if the question did arise, I think some anti-gun lawyer would simply claim that you aren't a law enforcemenet officer, so you don't rate the benefits of the ammo they carry. Basically, I think you will be fine no matter the ammo. I am sure what will be scrutinized more, is whether it was a justified shoot.

But if you really want to know, I am sure a quick phone call to the respective office would get you the real answer. I seriously doubt that is highly guarded top secret information. Don't be surprised if you get multiple answers though. Sometimes, ammo and weapons choices are driven by cost considerations, more than performance data.

8W56
08-14-2007, 12:25
You will probably find that almost all LEO in NC carry the Federal Tactical, Winchester Ranger SXT, or Speer Gold Dot. SHP carries the .357sig and I am not sure what their current ammo happens to be. They change their equipment around so much I dont even try and keep up. I have carried the SXT and currently carry the Gold Dot. I have never had to use it on a human but I can tell you that both rounds have put down dogs with just a single round. The SXT was 180gr and they might be hard to come across in quantity as winchester marks them LEO only. Not a big deal as you can find them on the internet but usually not in any great amounts. I actually like the 165gr Gold Dot that we currently carry a little better than the SXT for accuracy reasons.

Cody Jarrett
08-14-2007, 12:29
Originally posted by psybain
Does anyone here know what kind of rounds either the State Troopers, or Craven Co. Sheriff carry? I'm about to get my ccw, and I want to have the same rounds they use in the rare event that I have to defend myself, and then have to go to court because of it. Thanks.

Most LEO I know carry Speer Gold Dot Hollowpoints.

If you're thinking about self defense and what may or may not happen after a defensive shooting I suggest you read "In the Gravest Extreme" by Masaad Ayoob. It is the most concise reference on this topic from a lifelong officer, lecturer and professor.