Hollywood Anyone willing to take in 2 refugess during a hurricane? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Anyone willing to take in 2 refugess during a hurricane?

passive101
08-12-2007, 14:23
My roommate and myself live in an apartment in Hollywood, FL right off the beach. We both have no records of any kind and just recently moved here. During a hurricane is there anyone more inland with a good sturdy home that would be willing to take us in?

We would pay money for your hospitality and would bring our own food and water.

I also have some ammo I'd be willing to give instead of cash if you so wish.

PM if you don't want it in the open chat.

My roommate is a girl and no you can't touch her in any way :tongueout:

ETA we have our own flashlights as well. any other supplies we should have at our disposal? I picked up a hurricane guide at a local Publix.

beradon
08-12-2007, 19:31
I'm kind of limited for space but I do have room for one. Send her over and find a nice shelter for yourself.:thumbsup:

passive101
08-12-2007, 19:35
lol it's a package deal :)

Gmountain
08-12-2007, 19:39
Originally posted by passive101

ETA we have our own flashlights as well. any other supplies we should have at our disposal? I picked up a hurricane guide at a local Publix.

No room here, sorry, but do locate the available shleters near you. They fill up fast.

As far as supplies, you will need more than a flashlight. You'll need water, food, medical supplies, and cash. Make sure your car is filled with gas. Don't wait until the last minute.

Make sure you have a battery powered radio.

This is a minimum list.

Hurricanes are nothing to fool around with.

When one appears, the tension of everyone ratchets up a few notches.

passive101
08-12-2007, 19:46
Are there metal detectors in the shelters? If I have a permit I can legally carry there?

If we can't defend ourselves we'd like to stay away from those. I've seen what happens to people in those places.

Gmountain
08-12-2007, 20:24
Originally posted by passive101
Are there metal detectors in the shelters? If I have a permit I can legally carry there?

If we can't defend ourselves we'd like to stay away from those. I've seen what happens to people in those places.

I've been in quite a few shelters in Florida because of our ham radio operations. The shelters in Florida are not like the Louisiana Superdome or the convention center..

I've never seen metal detectors-I doubt there are any anywhere. I've seen signs saying no weapons, but they have no force of law, and I've carried in shelters. The one problem you may run into is that often shelters are located in schools, which are off limits. Shelters in church's are no problem.

If you are on the beach and there is a hurricane warning, you will probably have to evacuate. Traffic is a nightmare. Plan ahead.

FLGlock30
08-13-2007, 08:16
Passive101,
If SHTF I could maybe sway the wife to let a fellow GTer stay here in orlando area. I know its a drive but we are far inland.

Gmountain said it right, CASH and make sure you fill up your car or both cars. I have 4, 6gallon containers i always fill. In orlnado people get down right nasty post hurricane we have fights at the one or two grocery stores that are open and at gas stations.

Canned goods and lots of water is definitly a must. some get MRE's. If your on any mnedication's make sure you have enough, pharmacies close too.

take care hope you never have to use your evac plan:thumbsup:

Gallium
03-07-2011, 21:16
Maybe a Red Cross shelter?

bump from the basement.:tbo:

packinaglock
03-12-2011, 20:45
Maybe a Red Cross shelter?

bump from the basement.:tbo:

Boy you aint kiddin, I think he is living in the state of Indiana now. :dunno: