Need summary of NC firearms laws [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need summary of NC firearms laws

Green_Manelishi
08-12-2007, 19:15
1. What type of hoop(s), if any, must be jumped through to obtain permit to carry concealed?

2. Is there a license/permit required to possess within a home?

Any other information you can provide, or links to something other than legalese will be appreciated.

backdraft170
08-12-2007, 22:05
To get aconcealed carry permit you have to take a concealed training course.You can find out where one is being held at your local gun store.once you pass it you take the certificate to your local sheriff department for the background check.the county does a check and if thats alright they send your info to the state.It costs $90.00 and can take up to 90 days for background check to be completed.as far as having a permit to possess a firearm in your house no.

concealedcarry
08-13-2007, 15:10
This should link to answers to most of your questions.
Chris
www.concealedhandguncarry.com

8W56
08-14-2007, 12:33
Originally posted by Green_Manelishi
1. What type of hoop(s), if any, must be jumped through to obtain permit to carry concealed?

2. Is there a license/permit required to possess within a home?

Any other information you can provide, or links to something other than legalese will be appreciated.

1. You must complete a 8hr class that is approved by the state for CCW. You then take that certificate to the Sheriff in the county that you reside in and fill out the app, get fingerprinted, pay them around $93.00, and wait for the SBI to check you out and if everything comes back ok they will call you up and issue the permit.

2. No. You do not need any kind of permit to possess or carry a weapon on your own property. You can even carry concealed on your property without a permit and not violate any laws.

Other than a CCW permit the only time you need any kind of permit is to purchase a handgun and they can usually be obtained same day from the local Sheriffs office. If you do get a CCW permit then you no longer have to purchase any handgun permits as you can use that permit in place of it.

Green_Manelishi
08-17-2007, 10:51
Originally posted by 8W56
1. You must complete a 8hr class that is approved by the state for CCW. You then take that certificate to the Sheriff in the county that you reside in and fill out the app, get fingerprinted, pay them around $93.00, and wait for the SBI to check you out and if everything comes back ok they will call you up and issue the permit.

2. No. You do not need any kind of permit to possess or carry a weapon on your own property. You can even carry concealed on your property without a permit and not violate any laws.

Other than a CCW permit the only time you need any kind of permit is to purchase a handgun and they can usually be obtained same day from the local Sheriffs office. If you do get a CCW permit then you no longer have to purchase any handgun permits as you can use that permit in place of it.

What about handguns owned prior to establishing residence?

ConqSoft
08-17-2007, 11:06
Originally posted by Green_Manelishi
What about handguns owned prior to establishing residence?

Nothing else needed. In NC you only need a Purchase Permit if you want to purchase a handgun (from a dealer or a private seller).

You need the CCW permit to carry concealed. The CCW also serves as a Purchase Permit, so you won't have to spend the $5/per purchase permit to buy a handgun.

ConqSoft
08-17-2007, 11:09
Originally posted by 8W56
Other than a CCW permit the only time you need any kind of permit is to purchase a handgun and they can usually be obtained same day from the local Sheriffs office.

I haven't seen any that do it same day. Nash and Wake counties take 5 business days. They still do a basic background check on you to check for any major offenses. Nowhere near as exhaustive as the checks they do for CCW though.

8W56
08-17-2007, 17:21
Originally posted by ConqSoft
I haven't seen any that do it same day. Nash and Wake counties take 5 business days. They still do a basic background check on you to check for any major offenses. Nowhere near as exhaustive as the checks they do for CCW though.

My county (Haywood) will hand it to you in about 10min if they are not busy. It's as simple as walk in, fill out the paper, sign it and hand them your drivers license. They run you through NC AOC and NCIC and if everything comes back ok the Sgt at the desk throws her signature on it and you are on your way out the door.

Glocks&Ducs
08-19-2007, 19:45
Onlsow county is pretty retarded also, when it comes to their purchase permits. I have had them take 3 days, and I have heard people wait three months for them also.

As far as the original question for info.

http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Green_Manelishi
08-20-2007, 20:31
Thanks to all for the information.

It seems the license to carry concealed can be obtained but there is a long list of places a gun cannot be carried concealed.

spober
09-02-2007, 16:45
i under stand the 5 busseness days wait,it complyed with the 7 day,both are 1 week or 7 days in reality,federal brady bunch legislation!!!!
i live in wake/johnston co. and i generally go to the public safty office right downtown cross from the court house,Raleigh courthouse on say a monday.fill out paperwork.show my NC DL.II PAY A BUCK OR SO FOR THE PRIVLAGE TO PARK RIGHT NEXT DOOR.I come back the following say monday and pay 5 bucks per permit up to 5.with permit in hand you can buy your handgun with proper NC DL .their good for 5 years.ive gotten 5 then 2-3 months later 5 more.i havent gotten any in several years but.if your gonna go all the way downtown ,well may as well get 5.

concealedcarry
09-02-2007, 18:20
Newcomers to NC should be aware that in NC the sheriff of each of the 100 counties has a lot of control as to who gets a permit or not. I am not talking about a concealed handgun permit but the purchase/possession permit to purchase or possess a handgun. For example, the sheriff in Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) requires only a 30 day residency requirement. The sheriff in Edgecombe County (Tarboro) requires 6 months residency. The sheriff in Nash County (Nashville) requires 12 months residency. Each sheriff can and often do waive the waiting period (5 day)...if they know you. Of course, the NC Concealed Handgun Permit residency requirement is 30 days state wide and that was set by the NC Gen. Assembly. The sheriff will always be the most powerfull politician in a county.

ConqSoft
09-02-2007, 20:40
Originally posted by concealedcarry
Newcomers to NC should be aware that in NC the sheriff of each of the 100 counties has a lot of control as to who gets a permit or not. I am not talking about a concealed handgun permit but the purchase/possession permit to purchase or possess a handgun. For example, the sheriff in Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) requires only a 30 day residency requirement. The sheriff in Edgecombe County (Tarboro) requires 6 months residency. The sheriff in Nash County (Nashville) requires 12 months residency. Each sheriff can and often do waive the waiting period (5 day)...if they know you. Of course, the NC Concealed Handgun Permit residency requirement is 30 days state wide and that was set by the NC Gen. Assembly. The sheriff will always be the most powerfull politician in a county.

Just one slight correction... NC does not require you to have a permit to "possess" a handgun. Only to purchase one.

Also, if you plan to buy lots of guns, you're better off just getting your concealed permit since that negates the need for the individual purchase permits.

concealedcarry
09-02-2007, 21:16
"Just one slight correction... NC does not require you to have a permit to "possess" a handgun. Only to purchase one."

Conqsoft,
Many people in the state think this is true but it is not. Please read the state law I have pasted below and also the link to the NC Attorney Gen. for more clarification. Our current AG says there are many ways to obtain a handgun other than purchase...such as inherit or if someone gives you a handgun. You must still have a permit from the sheriff. Therefore, that is why I called it a purchase/possession permit.

This link is 40 pages of the NC Gun laws intepretation by the current NC AG. Pages 4-6 should clarify the question about the permit.

14‑403. Permit issued by sheriff; form of permit; expiration of permit.

The sheriffs of any and all counties of this State shall issue to any person, firm, or corporation in any county a license or permit to purchase or receive any weapon mentioned in this Article from any person, firm, or corporation offering to sell or dispose of the weapon. The license or permit shall expire five years from the date of issuance. The license or permit shall be in the following form:

North Carolina,

______________ County.

I, ______________, Sheriff of said County, do hereby certify that I have conducted a criminal background check of the applicant, ______________ whose place of residence is ______________ in ______________ (or) in ______________ Township, ______________ County, North Carolina, and have received no information to indicate that it would be a violation of State or federal law for the applicant to purchase, transfer, receive, or possess a handgun. The applicant has further satisfied me as to his, her (or) their good moral character. Therefore, a license or permit is issued to ______________ to purchase one pistol from any person, firm or corporation authorized to dispose of the same.

This license or permit expires five years from its date of issuance.

This ____ day of ____________, ________.

Sheriff.

(1919, c. 197, s. 2; C.S., s. 5107; 1959, c. 1073, s. 2; 1981 (Reg. Sess., 1982), c. 1395, s. 3; 1995, c. 487, s. 1; 1999‑456, s. 59.)
purchase or receive

ConqSoft
09-02-2007, 21:20
If you live in another state, and you own handguns, and you move to NC, you do not need to purchase any type of permit or "register" the weapons in any way. That's what I was referring to. In other words, you don't need a permit just to "own" a handgun here.

concealedcarry
09-02-2007, 21:33
"In other words, you don't need a permit just to "own" a handgun here."

Consoft,
I have never read what you are referring to...about moving into NC from out of state and not needing to comply with NC laws. I can't see why that would allow a new resident priveleges over NC residents. All I can tell you is what the NC statute states. I would think that to comply with NC law you would need to obtain a permit as the law states.

You could call the AG and get a verification?

ConqSoft
09-02-2007, 21:44
There's nothing in the law that says you do. It only states what is required if you obtain the handgun while you are in NC. NC does not keep any database of who owns what guns (other than Durham county), so moving here while already owning a handgun doesn't require that you do anything.

If you are already here, and you receive a handgun as a gift, inheritence, purchase from a friend, etc, then yes, what you said does apply, and a purchase permit is required.

I'm just passing along what my instructor taught us during our CCH training class last month. (R. Steven Johnson - He's on the staff of the NC DOJ and is the author of the CCH Handbook/Coursebook that is used to teach all CCH classes in NC.)

Info here: http://www.ncrpa.org/ncgunfaq.htm

concealedcarry
09-02-2007, 22:06
Consoft,
The link you provided gave some very bad ... wrong...information.
Such as the answer to the question below.

Q: Is it legal for a private citizen to own a machine gun in North Carolina?

A: Per the North Carolina Attorney General's interpretation of relevant State law, the answer is clearly and unequivocally NO.
---------------------------------------------------------------
NC law DOES provide for posession of fully auto guns provided they were obtained legally.

I know of several persons who own fully auto rifles and they own them legally. I know that is not the topic of discussion but I would be suspect of the other information they have on their site about permits.

Your interpretation about the law, I think, comes from thinking that the handgun brought into the state was legally possessed outside the state prior to the person moving to NC. What happens when someone from out of state moves into NC and was NOT legally in possession of a handgun? That is why NC has a law that requires its citizens to have a purchase/possession permit if they own a handgun. The law applies to all the citizens and does not provide for exceptions to new residents who may be in violation of the law.

ConqSoft
09-02-2007, 22:12
Ok, if you say so. You obviously know more about the law than my instuctor. ;)

This exact discussion came up during class; that's why I'm passing on what I was told.

NC Bullseye
09-02-2007, 22:18
Sorry to butt in here but Conqsoft is 100% correct on the permit statement. No permit is required for firearms that are owned prior to moving to NC. You can (and should) verify this with your own sheriff and the NC AG. I did both before moving here and was assured that it is not required. Also, this is the way the NCDOJ teaches. You can also contact the Law Enforcement Liaison Section of the Department of Justice at (919) 716-6725. They'll be glad to help you out.

ConqSoft
09-02-2007, 22:19
Direct from the DOJ site:

6. DO MY GUNS HAVE TO BE REGISTERED WITH THE SHERIFF OR POLICE DEPARTMENT WHERE I LIVE?

ANSWER:

Except as to the requirement to lawfully possess a machine gun under G.S. 14-409, North Carolina generally does not require other types of firearms to be registered with the Sheriff or Police Department. The only type of "registration" requirement is that a purchaser or receiver of a pistol must first obtain a pistol permit, for each pistol, from the Sheriff of the county in which he resides. Note: A local act requiring registration for Durham, N.C. is still valid law in the State.

concealedcarry
09-02-2007, 22:22
Conqsoft,
I don't profess to know more than Johnson...and yes I do know him and have for many, many years. I am open to any law or AG interpretation that would support your position. Steve Johnson saying so will not suffice.

concealedcarry
09-02-2007, 22:47
Bullseye and Conqsoft,

Your interpretations about the law, I think, comes from thinking that the handgun brought into the state was legally possessed outside the state prior to the person moving to NC. I would also assume the sheriff and AG you talked with also assumed the same. If so, I understand your positions concerning this matter.

What happens when someone from out of state moves into NC and was NOT legally in possession of a handgun? That is why NC has a law that requires its citizens to have a purchase/possession permit if they own a handgun. The law applies to all the citizens and does not provide for exceptions to new residents who may be in violation of the law.

If you do not agree, I must assume you think a person may obtain a handgun illegally outside NC and move into NC and not be in violation of the NC permit law. How the person obtained the handgun outside the state could have a bearing as to whether he/she would be issued a permit by the sheriff. That is why a permit is required for NC citizens and it would not exclude those just moving in.

I tired and am going to bed. I enjoyed the exchange and hope someone reading it learned something. Good nite.

Glocks&Ducs
09-02-2007, 22:47
Originally posted by spober
i under stand the 5 busseness days wait,it complyed with the 7 day,both are 1 week or 7 days in reality,federal brady bunch legislation!!!!
i live in wake/johnston co. and i generally go to the public safty office right downtown cross from the court house,Raleigh courthouse on say a monday.fill out paperwork.show my NC DL.II PAY A BUCK OR SO FOR THE PRIVLAGE TO PARK RIGHT NEXT DOOR.I come back the following say monday and pay 5 bucks per permit up to 5.with permit in hand you can buy your handgun with proper NC DL .their good for 5 years.ive gotten 5 then 2-3 months later 5 more.i havent gotten any in several years but.if your gonna go all the way downtown ,well may as well get 5.

There is no federal 3, 5, or 7 day wait period for purchasing firearms.

Glocks&Ducs
09-02-2007, 22:50
I am quite confused where this converation has lead, because there was mention of machine guns. But if you lived in another state, and moved to NC, there is no federal or state requirement to get anything, in order to bring other firearms, besides machine guns, into NC.

concealedcarry
09-02-2007, 22:57
Good Morning Duc,
I am glad you came in. I had a $20.00 bet that you would show up. You had me sweating it out.

Carry on. I am outta here. Going to Wally World and get me some ammo with my $20.00

ConqSoft
09-02-2007, 23:06
Bullseye and Conqsoft,

Your interpretations about the law, I think, comes from thinking that the handgun brought into the state was legally possessed outside the state prior to the person moving to NC. I would also assume the sheriff and AG you talked with also assumed the same. If so, I understand your positions concerning this matter.

What happens when someone from out of state moves into NC and was NOT legally in possession of a handgun? That is why NC has a law that requires its citizens to have a purchase/possession permit if they own a handgun. The law applies to all the citizens and does not provide for exceptions to new residents who may be in violation of the law.

If you do not agree, I must assume you think a person may obtain a handgun illegally outside NC and move into NC and not be in violation of the NC permit law. How the person obtained the handgun outside the state could have a bearing as to whether he/she would be issued a permit by the sheriff. That is why a permit is required for NC citizens and it would not exclude those just moving in.

I tired and am going to bed. I enjoyed the exchange and hope someone reading it learned something. Good nite.

Again, it is not even called a "purchase/possession" permit. You added the "possession" part on your own. Nowhere does it say purchase/possession. It is a purchase permit, and is required if you want to purchase a handgun in NC.

See my quote from the DOJ site in my previous post. It reinforces what my instructor stated in my class when the same question arose.

NC Bullseye even stated the same thing, and he moved here from another state with his handguns. He made the calls. He was told the same thing.

So, we have the NC handgun law quote from the DOJ site, we have my instructor (who wrote the CCH book in NC), and we have a real-world example of a person moving to NC with their handguns. What more should be required to convince you?

NC Bullseye
09-02-2007, 23:15
Bullseye and Conqsoft,

If you tell me what county you live in I will be happy to contact your sheriff and get clarification for you. I have offered the opining of the AG as well my local sheriff and both match.

As to a new resident bringing in an illegal firearm and that being the reason for permits, I'd like to see your specific reference for this in the NC general statues.

I base my work on this, so I'd request that before you spread what may be disinformation any further, you verify your opinion based on reference to specific NC GS.

Just as a question for you, if a new resident was to go to the sheriff and obtain a permit for the firearms they owned prior to moving to NC, who would the new resident give the permit to? The person they received the firearm from originally? Since the sheriff doesn't keep the permits, the selling/giving party is to keep the permit this may cause some problems.

My apology to the OP for dragging this off your original question but hopefully it will give you more insight to NC firearms laws.

concealedcarry
09-03-2007, 08:05
Good Morning Gentlemen,
This will be my last post on this issue.

Below, I have again pasted the NC law on permits. Yes, I did ad the word "possession". When you receive a handgun you in effect "possess" it and it matters NOT from where or whom it was received. You don't have to GIVE the permit to anyone in some cases even though you are required by NC law to possess a permit to purchase or RECEIVE a handgun. THE PERMIT IS NOT JUST TO PURCHASE.......READ THE LAW.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The sheriffs of any and all counties of this State shall issue to any person, firm, or corporation in any county a license or permit to PURCHASE OR RECEIVE any weapon mentioned in this Article from any person, firm, or corporation offering to sell or dispose of the weapon. The license or permit shall expire five years from the date of issuance. The license or permit shall be in the following form:

North Carolina,

______________ County.

I, ______________, Sheriff of said County, do hereby certify that I have conducted a criminal background check of the applicant, ______________ whose place of residence is ______________ in ______________ (or) in ______________ Township, ______________ County, North Carolina, and have received no information to indicate that it would be a violation of State or federal law for the applicant to purchase, transfer, receive, or possess a handgun. The applicant has further satisfied me as to his, her (or) their good moral character. Therefore, a license or permit is issued to ______________ to purchase one pistol from any person, firm or corporation authorized to dispose of the same.

This license or permit expires five years from its date of issuance.

This ____ day of ____________, ________.

Sheriff.

(1919, c. 197, s. 2; C.S., s. 5107; 1959, c. 1073, s. 2; 1981 (Reg. Sess., 1982), c. 1395, s. 3; 1995, c. 487, s. 1; 1999‑456, s. 59.)
purchase or receive

ConqSoft
09-03-2007, 08:15
*snip*

The sheriffs of any and all counties of this State shall issue to any person, firm, or corporation in any county a license or permit to PURCHASE OR RECEIVE any weapon mentioned in this Article from any person, firm, or corporation offering to sell or dispose of the weapon. The license or permit shall expire five years from the date of issuance. The license or permit shall be in the following form:

*snip*

Note the bolded part from the LAW. They didn't PURCHASE OR RECEIVE the handgun while in this state.

Tell you what, tomorrow you put a call into the NC DOJ and find someone there that says that a person moving to NC must purchase a Purchase Permit for every handgun that they own, and also ask them what they then do with those permits once they receive them from their sheriff.

If you find someone there that will tell you that, I'll call them to confirm it, and I'll publicly kiss your ass in this thread for making a complete fool of myself. I have no problems admitting when I'm wrong.

How about that? Deal?

NC Bullseye
09-03-2007, 11:57
Good Morning Gentlemen,
This will be my last post on this issue.

Below, I have again pasted the NC law on permits. Yes, I did ad the word "possession". When you receive a handgun you in effect "possess" it and it matters NOT from where or whom it was received. You don't have to GIVE the permit to anyone in some cases even though you are required by NC law to possess a permit to purchase or RECEIVE a handgun. THE PERMIT IS NOT JUST TO PURCHASE.......READ THE LAW.

snip....

Well, after offering to do the legwork and clarify the issue for you if you were interested in "THE LAW" as you put it, and you choosing to only read bits and pieces of the text provided it's clear that you prefer not to be confused by the facts that have been provided by myself and others.

I too have no problem admitting mistakes, I just ask that you show me the North Carolina General Statue that states that new residents must register firearms not purchased in North Carolina via a purchase permit from the sheriff (except for Durham). I see no place available in your quoted permit to even enter type or SN of a firearm so how is this to be used to determine the legality of a firearm brought into the state by a new resident?

Since you have stated you won't post again on this subject I hope that you will at least take the time to call your local sheriff and verify what you're saying. I very much appreciate it when people offer help to new users and shooters, that is what makes this board great. Just please take the time to verify what you pass if it's questioned. Worst case, you find that you were given incorrect info and now you have it correct. Best case, you find you're right and can help me and others by giving the general statue references that show us what to pass on to others. Heck, I've been bitten more than a few times by having laws change and not getting the updates. Help us shooters out!