CCW in purse??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW in purse???

ergceo
08-12-2007, 19:45
My wife just chose her first ever pistol, a G19, and will be taking her CCW soon. She thinks she wants to carry in her purse and not on her person. Can any of you women recommend a good inside the purse holder/carrier? Something to protect/shield the trigger guard but without much bulk.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mrs. Tink
08-13-2007, 11:31
Purses that are specifically for gun carry are the best. Galco makes some really nice ones; their web site shows all the details. They have built-in holsters. You are asked on the website to select the model of gun you intend to carry, but when I called Galco they said that you can change your pistol in the same purse without worrying about changing the built-in holster too.

If she is not intending to buy a specific carry purse, she must make sure that she has an entire compartment within her purse devoted to the gun. Nothing else in there, no keys, no change, no lip balm. Then a simple soft IWB holster would be fine. She should try to rig something inside the purse compartment that the holster clip can hang onto, so if she has to draw then she won't have to worry about the entire thing coming out.

I used to think I preferred purse carry, just like your wife. But it was just too stressful--you can't put that thing down anywhere, and I do mean ANYWHERE.

c-mama
08-13-2007, 12:05
:wavey:

I have a Coronado Sonoma Carry Case. http://www.coronadoleather.com/view.aspx?i=94&c=3&p=0

I have a holster (that I SOMETIMES use on my waistband for carry) that I keep my gun in. But you can get a holster from Coronado that fits the purse.

I agree with Mrs. Tink that purses that are made for gun carry are the best. That way pens, make-up, money, etc, don't get mixed in the same pocket as the gun. There is a specific pocket for JUST the gun.

I would prefer to carry on my person, but right now, I don't have a holster that fits nor a belt that fits. So, I carry in my purse.

Since I started carrying in my purse, my senses have been heightened regarding where my purse is. So that, even when I'm not carrying, I'm very careful with my purse. I figure that one who has access to my identity/checkbook/credit cards is just as dangerous as one who has my gun. Granted, they can't kill with my credit cards, but having my identity screwed with is not something I want to have happen, either.

Linda
08-17-2007, 20:52
I have a holster purse made by Roma. Very nice quality leather purse. BUT, as an instructor and a carrier, I DO NOT recommend purse carry. If the bad guy gets your purse, he now has your gun. The gun belongs holstered on your person.

blueridge
08-20-2007, 06:47
I bought my wife the Galco Meridan Holster Handbag, $236 from LA Police Gear. Expect these items to be backordered a few weeks, that's the norm with a lot of Galco products, as they are very popular.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterT3.asp?ProductID=1774&CatalogID=394

The quality is first rate, thick leather, made in the USA as well. There is a locking zipper with 2 keys for the gun compartment, which is totally separate from the rest of the purse. The holster holds everything from a G26 to a G17, with an optional velcro retaining strap (not really necessary, unless the gun very small and is loose).

I would highly recommend this bag.

Mrs.Cicero
08-21-2007, 08:23
I have a Coronado Hobo, whose only flaw is that it is so heavy it hurts my back to carry it for long. As soon as the weather cools off, i'll go back to OWB under my jacket.

Mrs.C

Swattie
08-22-2007, 18:16
Ladies, I am a guy so I know You may not like what I have to say but hear me out anyway please.

A purse is a bad place to carry a gun. Purses get snatched by criminals all the time. Either while you are wearing it or when you set it on a counter during a transaction. If you carry your gun in your purse then you have not only given the criminal your credit cards, but you also have given him a gun to accelerate his criminal career.

This is just my two cents.

SARDG
08-29-2007, 00:27
Originally posted by KSSWATCOP
A purse is a bad place to carry a gun. Purses get snatched by criminals all the time. Either while you are wearing it or when you set it on a counter during a transaction. If you carry your gun in your purse then you have not only given the criminal your credit cards, but you also have given him a gun to accelerate his criminal career. Could not agree more. I've campaigned against purse-carry here on WI and have posted this before somewhere on GT but can never find it...

I'm a tall gal of some physical stature and my purse was taken from me by a man of, well - even greater physical stature.

Long story short - I was exiting my car at the side of a hotel, there were some bushes around (about 10' away), but fairly good lighting. Not certain where the purse snatcher came from, but he was on me before I had fully exited my car. I'm 5'9" but he was taller - nonetheless, I fought him for it - but lost.

He grabbed my purse and took off running out to the more open parking lot where an accomplice came by in a getaway car. I was chasing after him but he took a head-first dive into the front passenger window of that car.

Not being one to give up, I grabbed that car's c-pillar and got dragged down the parking lot (standing upright, alongside the car) while holding on to it. The perp was beating on my arm after he righted himself in the car, and I eventually figured out it was counter-productive to my good health to continue to hang on, so let go, bounced off the pavement, and found my car keys still in my hand. So, I ran back to my car (in my heels) and chased after the crook's car. Never did really catch up with, or find them though.

Later, the police called me and told me they found my purse on the floorboard of a stolen car (no surprise there) in the neighborhood.

I didn't carry at that time and only my cash ended up missing - no credit cards or ID were gone. Of course, I had already cancelled them all...

Do you ladies get a sinking feeling when (for even a brief moment) you think you may have misplaced your purse? Think of that feeling when your cash, credit cards, ID, and firearm all go missing.

BTW, if anything like the above happens to you, it would probably be a good idea to avoid the drama that I self-induced and just go report it to the police. When po-po took my report, he looked at me and said, “Are you nuts??” I suppose I was!

Now - that was the short version. In another episode, I'll tell you about my home invasion when I lived in Hawaii.

I now carry on my person - every day, all the time. I've had to adjust my wardrobe, but to me, it's worth it. I'm tired of being a victim, and now train not to be.

But as KSSWATCOP said - purses get gone in a flash, all the time.

Kitty