Good cheap companies for renter's isnurance in FL? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Good cheap companies for renter's isnurance in FL?

passive101
08-13-2007, 20:55
I've never had renter's insurance before. What insurance companies are decent in Florida for renter's insurance? I don't want to have to pay an arm and a leg, but I do have 2 handguns and never had it before. Not sure how they know what property you have and don't have.

ackvil
08-27-2007, 09:24
Try American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida. You can reach them at 800 432 8612.

Mr. Blandings
08-27-2007, 10:46
Job, rent, insurance, utilities... sure is a pain in the butt to be all "grow'ed-up"... ain't it? ;)

You may want to check out a "multi-line discount" by purchasing more than one insurance policy through the same company. For instance, instead of purchasing your auto insurance from one carrier and your renter's insurance from another; you go to one company for both policies. Typically, you actually have to have three or more policies, so you may want to check out a small ($10K) term-life policy.

Good luck!

rvrctyrngr
08-27-2007, 11:24
I've used StateFarm for all my insurance for 15 years. Started with renter's insurance...then auto...then home.

Renter's shouldn't set you back much. Shop around. Shouldn't matter if you own firearms or not...if it does, choose someone else. Join the NRA....more firearms insurance!

I don't remember declaring any specific items for the renter's insurance. It was just 'contents' coverage, and liability because I owned a waterbed at the time.

passive101
08-28-2007, 05:46
If you don't have to tell them or show proof of ownership how do they know someone isn't lying and saying they own thousands more then what they really have?

I new had renters insurance while I lived alone. Now we have quite a bit of stuff.

ackvil
08-28-2007, 06:06
[QUOTE]Originally posted by passive101
[B]If you don't have to tell them or show proof of ownership how do they know someone isn't lying and saying they own thousands more then what they really have?

Most renters policies cover only a set amount that you are insured for, usually $10,000. Second, most polcies require you to list certain items and their cost. Finally, you have to read all the exclusions and other language of the policy to realize that the insurance company has protected itself from any fraudulent activity. :supergrin:

rvrctyrngr
08-28-2007, 08:46
What he said.

I found my old policy (amazingly enough, since I can't seem to locate any of my car titles!!!). 10K for 'contents'. I paid a little extra for 5K worth of specific firearms coverage. Premium was $80 for the year.

There's no way I would have remembered that! That was a lot of years and beers ago!!!!

Droanx
09-02-2007, 19:12
As stated look into getting your multiline discount by insuring everything with the same company.

I have State Farm renter's insurance and I specifically asked about firearms. My policy covers $50,000 worth of stuff and will only cover $2,000 in firearms. I don't own that much in firearms so I'm alright. I do however have other "stuff" so it is a nice policy. It costs me a whopping $17 a month.

I do have 2 cars on the policy as well. I pay less then $200 a month for everything. (When I was a teeneager I paid $220 a month for just my car)

Also, if you own a "collection" you can buy extra insurance for just those items.