Motorcyclist rides 2 km unaware of losing right leg [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyclist rides 2 km unaware of losing right leg

Bullwinkle J Moose
08-14-2007, 04:39
Ouch! That is going to leave a mark.

Motorcyclist rides 2 km unaware of losing right leg
Aug 14 12:49 AM US/Eastern

SHIZUOKA, Japan, Aug. 14 (AP) - (Kyodo)A 54-year-old man continued to drive a large motorcycle about 2 kilometers Monday after hitting the center divider on a national highway and losing his right leg below the knee in Hamamatsu, Shizuoka Prefecture, police said Tuesday.

Kazuo Osada, a salaried worker, was unaware of the loss of his leg until he drove the distance apparently because his attention was focused on the strong pain he felt from the crash, the police said.

The police said Osada failed to negotiate a left turn and hit the center divider in a west-bound lane of Route 1's Hamana bypass in Hamamatsu at around 6:30 a.m. Monday.

Osada, who was on his way to Gifu Prefecture in a group of about 10 friends, did not fall in the accident and continued the ride before noticing part of his leg was missing, the police said. SOURCE (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8R0J9D80&show_article=1)

G21novice
08-14-2007, 13:27
I read this over at Fox News and couldn't believe it. Then again, I know a guy with diabetes who had his leg against the exhaust on his Excelsior Henderson while wearing shorts and didn't notice it until he smelled burning flesh at a stoplight. It left a big scar, and I can't understand how you wouldn't notice, but I guess it can happen!

epsylum
08-14-2007, 17:52
Am I the only one who thought about him pulling up to a light and falling over?

I know, I am going to hell. :supergrin:

ICHI
08-14-2007, 18:02
I was picturing him falling over at a stop also.

Bullwinkle J Moose
08-14-2007, 20:50
Originally posted by epsylum

Only if he managed to stop using only the front brake.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
08-15-2007, 07:02
On the plus side, you won't see any "single skidmark" leading straight off in a corner caused by him.

Rinspeed
08-15-2007, 07:38
Originally posted by epsylum

I know, I am going to hell. :supergrin:

Quite funny but just not right :)

davew83
08-15-2007, 21:14
Originally posted by Bullwinkle J Moose
Only if he managed to stop using only the front brake.
If you ride a sport bike, or race (like myself) thats all that you do use. The only time I even touch the rear brake is if I run off the track and am in the grass,

epsylum
08-15-2007, 23:16
Originally posted by davew83
If you ride a sport bike, or race (like myself) thats all that you do use. The only time I even touch the rear brake is if I run off the track and am in the grass,

+1

There is a reason why there are those two HUGE discs and calipers up front and one tiny one out back. The rear brake can be used for more advanced techniques, but the front really the only brake you need for 99% of all street riding.