Tactical Medic [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Medic

4095fanatic
08-14-2007, 23:48
Was wondering if we had any tactical medics out here (SWAT, ERT, SRT, HRT, etc.). In about a year I decided that that is something I would seriously like to consider doing; I've heard training programs by Blackwater USA and some others thrown around, but was wondering what ya'll (or your buddies) have used, and any recommendations/advice. Also, would it be better to wait until I become a sworn officer to take the course? I figured it'd be better to get it out of the way beforehand as otherwise I'd need to take at least a week off to get it done, but not totally sure on that one. Additionally, should I put forth the time and delay another year to finish getting my ALS cert, or is NREMT-B fine (in general; I know it varies from department to department). Thanks guys!

5 years experience in EMS.

sprmedic69
08-26-2007, 12:45
SWAT medic here. Not a sworn police officer. I do carry a pistol and rifle during calls along with my EMS equipment. I train right along with the LEO's. I am in on all entries, and rotate in the stack like the rest of them.

4095fanatic
08-27-2007, 10:15
Thats interesting... how would you be covered legally if you used deadly force since you aren't sworn?

sprmedic69
08-27-2007, 14:19
Email me direct, and I will forward a copy of the details to you. It is way too complicated for me to explain in a few paragraphs, and not being an attorney, I don't understand all aspects of it myself to explain it clearly.

RyanNREMTP
08-27-2007, 14:35
Is it just an Ohio thing because I'd be interested in it if it would work in Texas.

sprmedic69
08-27-2007, 18:27
Ryan......Not sure about things in TX. This is OHIO specific, but it may apply in other states.

4095.....I got your email. When I get off shift and get home, I will dig that file up on my PC and forward it to you.

boxermedic
09-11-2007, 08:16
Originally posted by sprmedic69
Email me direct, and I will forward a copy of the details to you. It is way too complicated for me to explain in a few paragraphs, and not being an attorney, I don't understand all aspects of it myself to explain it clearly.

Could I get a copy as well, I am in process of getting involved as a Tac medic. This might be great info to have. The medics can not carry unless they are police in this unit.

Medic721
09-12-2007, 19:09
I would like a copy as well. I work as a Paramedic with a Police Department and out Tactical EMT's are not armed. (Which I think does make sense, but that is another discussion) BUt thi is a topis that is often debated.

-Mike.

FiremanMike
09-16-2007, 07:41
Where in SW ohio are you?

kris926
09-18-2007, 20:43
pm sent to sprmedic69.

10-32
09-19-2007, 20:53
<-------------

Tactical? Yeah, we do that. :thumbsup:

Actually though, one of my civilian instructors in Medic school was a SWAT Medic on whichever Police force he worked for. Seemed pretty cool to me. If I get out of the Military young enough, that's something I may very well look into for myself also.

With "only" having civilian EMT training, I'd think an EMT-I or EMT-P would be much more appealing to the folks you want to affiliate with. Heck, even Army Medic training doesn't amount to squat once you transition to the civilian sector.
Hands-on EMS experience is a bonus, but most places want the advanced certs as far as I know.

Have you been in touch with some local agencies? What do they say?

Dustin@C.I.S.
09-28-2007, 18:32
I am a SWAT tactical medic. I was on the team for about a year when they asked for a volunteer to go through EMT-IV school. The knowledge and experience I had prior to becoming the medic allowed me to apply the techniques I was learning to "real world" situations. I am first a entry team member, and then if the need arises I switch into medic mode.