Car vs bear in the city [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Car vs bear in the city

oldstyle
08-15-2007, 08:36
One of our engines responded to a crash involving a car and a black bear. This may not be news if you live in the mountains, but we're in Jacksonville and bears are about as common as snow. I have a pic of the bear too but it's not very tasteful for the forum. Check out the damage to the car.

RyanNREMTP
08-15-2007, 10:56
I couldn't bear to look at it.

Tvov
08-20-2007, 15:09
Originally posted by RyanNREMTP
I couldn't bear to look at it.

***Groan***

lomfs24
08-22-2007, 07:11
Even here in Montana car vs. bear accidents are rarely hear of. That is a lot of damage for one little bear. What kind of bear was it? I guess i don't even know what kind of bears are in Florida.

CRider
08-22-2007, 09:55
I don't doubt it a bit...few years ago we got called out to spray down the highway after an 18wheeler tagged a large black bear. The rig was drivable, but had a lot of damage to it. The bear...well, we hosed down what was left.

Tvov
08-22-2007, 10:15
Originally posted by lomfs24
That is a lot of damage for one little bear. .

Car vs Deer can cause a lot of damage. A lot of it has to do with how today's cars are designed to "absorb" the impact. With a good old fashioned American '70s car, you could go through a herd of deer with surprisingly little damage.

RyanNREMTP
08-22-2007, 10:32
We run on cattle vs vehicles quite often and majority of the time the vehicle is totaled.

lomfs24
08-22-2007, 12:34
Originally posted by Tvov
Car vs Deer can cause a lot of damage. A lot of it has to do with how today's cars are designed to "absorb" the impact. With a good old fashioned American '70s car, you could go through a herd of deer with surprisingly little damage.
I wasn't doubting that it was in fact a bear. I was stating that is a lot of damage. We have deer vs. car all the time here. The highway that I live on kills in the neighborhood of 1300 deer annually in about a 40 mile stretch.

It's still amazing how much damage a stationary object can inflict on an object moving 70mph.

oldstyle
08-22-2007, 16:26
Originally posted by lomfs24
Even here in Montana car vs. bear accidents are rarely hear of. That is a lot of damage for one little bear. What kind of bear was it? I guess i don't even know what kind of bears are in Florida.

It was a black bear. I'll email a photo of the bear to anyone who can edit it and post here. It has some gore which needs to be blocked out, but would still show the animal's size.

lomfs24
08-22-2007, 21:44
I would love to get a pic. I am not a photo whizz but I would do what I could with it.