Army suicides highest in 26 years [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Army suicides highest in 26 years

johnydoe
08-15-2007, 20:39
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070816/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/army_suicides

Do the families still get the $400,000 life insurance money for suicide deaths?

xxiv
08-15-2007, 21:51
I don't remember for sure but I recall a 'memo' going out that if you died from DUI or other stupid **** like that then you can be denied benefits, so I would say no if you top yourself then you screw your family double.

16vmkII
08-16-2007, 10:15
Originally posted by johnydoe
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070816/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/army_suicides

Do the families still get the $400,000 life insurance money for suicide deaths?

One of my buddies killed himself last year after being medivaced from Iraq. His wife (who was divorcing him) got his SGLI. :sad:

chewybaca67
08-16-2007, 10:22
Originally posted by 16vmkII
One of my buddies killed himself last year after being medivaced from Iraq. His wife (who was divorcing him) got his SGLI. :sad:

That just plain sucks man. :sad: I hope the spirit of karma will bite her in the ass.

16vmkII
08-16-2007, 10:29
Originally posted by chewybaca67
That just plain sucks man. :sad: I hope the spirit of karma will bite her in the ass.

Yup. Dave was a real good guy and his wife divorcing him compounded his PTSD. At least he's resting with the angels now. His wife will probably move on to the next unsuspecting Soldier. :upeyes:

RENEA
08-18-2007, 21:40
I'm sorry to hear about your friend bro.

Originally posted by 16vmkII
Yup. Dave was a real good guy and his wife divorcing him compounded his PTSD. At least he's resting with the angels now. His wife will probably move on to the next unsuspecting Soldier. :upeyes:

16vmkII
08-20-2007, 09:53
Originally posted by RENEA
I'm sorry to hear about your friend bro.

I appreciate that. His sister created an account on military.com and you can learn about him there if you want. He's one of my friends on there and I have the same screen name there as here, if anyone's interested.

Not a day goes by where I don't think about him. I had been out on missions for about 2 weeks and when I came back, I found out he had been admitted into the hospital (in Iraq). I immediately went and talked with him to see how he was doing. Apparently he had been having suicidal ideations and they were going to medivac him. I told him to stay strong and he promised he wouldn't kill himself. He was medivaced out and eventually ended up at Madigan, where he wasn't institutionalized...Maybe 3 weeks later he had killed himself. There's an investigation still going on in regards to the huge FUBAR situation Madigan docs created and why he wasn't hospitalized after being medivaced for the suicidal ideations (he obviously had a plan of action to kill himself).

I miss him everyday. :sad: