Mandatory Membership for Religious Area? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory Membership for Religious Area?

WayfarinStrangr
08-16-2007, 06:57
Eric,i truly hope you do not make the Religious sub-forum a members only area.

I know it's your site,and your the judge,but i myself see MUCH more filthiness going on in the general non-Glocking area.

Many questionable posts,replies,and now even avatars folk's are using,mainly female avatars (which baffles me why).

Anyways...i hope your final decsion is in favor of keeping that area free if a member chooses not to buy (or cannot afford)

Thanks for any consideration in keeping it a free area for those who simply cannot afford to purchase a membership at this time.

God bless you and Glocktalk,a truly wonderful site. ;)

lcarreau
08-16-2007, 07:05
It seems reasonable to me that the forums that require the most mod attention per participant should be pay only forums. Also, you won't score points here by questioning the judgement of the mods.

-Lonnie

WayfarinStrangr
08-16-2007, 07:15
Yes,the volunteer mods do a good job,i agree. ;)

You visit that area from time to time,do you feel in all honesty it's "that bad" compared to other area's?

lcarreau
08-16-2007, 07:35
Originally posted by WayfarinStrangr
Yes,the volunteer mods do a good job,i agree. ;)

You visit that area from time to time,do you feel in all honesty it's "that bad" compared to other area's?

I think there are more issues in GNG, but I think that RI requires more mod work for the relatively small amount of posters there. Its the ratio of bad apples, but also the very nature of RI and PI lends itself to bickering and re-hashing the same arguments.

Just MHO.

-Lonnie

itisbruno
08-16-2007, 09:45
I did not know there was a Religious Area.

Hopefully (and I doubt it will happen), none of the main areas of GT will become "members only", I do not think that is what the site administrator had in mind if I read his original announcement of the membership system correctly.

lcarreau
08-16-2007, 09:51
Originally posted by itisbruno
I did not know there was a Religious Area.

Hopefully (and I doubt it will happen), none of the main areas of GT will become "members only", I do not think that is what the site administrator had in mind if I read his original announcement of the membership system correctly.

I do not think RI would qualify as one of the "main" areas. It is really a tiny subset of the GT membership. A good number of the folks there rarely venture outside that forum.

-Lonnie

major
08-16-2007, 10:00
One thing that concerns me is that Eric is considering making the Religious and Political sub-forums off limits to those who do not buy a membership.

Just curious, where did you see this????

No. I for one will not pay to be on this forum. I know things get a little bit heated sometimes, but I think that most of the regulars on here can hold their own whether they are Christian, Jew, agnostic, or atheist. In other words, quite frankly I think a lot of threads get closed prematurely.

Of course, we aren't allowed a reason and aren't even supposed to question the mods. (In fact, I will probably get a comment from a mod for THIS post, whether publicly or privately). I'm just saying that I don't think this forum necessarily needs as much policing as the mods think it does.

Just my two cents.......which, of course, means nothing on here.

BTW, while I was typing this post, the thread was closed in the religuous forums area so I am posting it here.......whatever.

WayfarinStrangr
08-16-2007, 13:00
Funny you ask as Eric was responding to a question by you!! :supergrin:

I deleted all of the benefits,only kept where he stated the Religious and Political area's *may* become paid member area's only.

Originally posted by major
If I paid, I would want a little more say-so about some things.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paid Memberships WILL buy you:

Access to some paid members-only forums that will be opening. I am also considering making a couple of the more controversial forums to paid members-only forums, to cut down the signal-to-noise ratio a bit. A couple of the forums under consideration are the Religious Issues and Political Issues forums. I haven't made any firm decisions on this matter yet.

major
08-16-2007, 13:49
Funny you ask as Eric was responding to a question by you!! :supergrin:

Yeah......obviously I have a lot of pull in here.:laughabove:

Ronny
08-16-2007, 14:41
The vast vast majority of BB members will not pay to participate in the BB. If the political/religious subforums become pay only the number of members posting will decrease dramatically and the forums will be dead and useless to the paying members. The subforums will rot on the vine.

Cassius
08-16-2007, 15:01
Not only that, but then all the junk that normally gets posted in the subforums will end up getting posted in the general forums... increasing the workload for the mods as they constantly have to watch and shut down religious/political/etc threads in the general forum. Because it WILL end up there if there is not an accessible subforum for people to post it in.

wacopnewbie
08-17-2007, 20:20
I do support most forums that I join, but considering my partner was unceremoniously kicked off of this website with no explanation after several emails, I think I'll pass. If it becomes paid, I probably won't visit it anymore.

lcarreau
08-19-2007, 07:38
Originally posted by wacopnewbie
I do support most forums that I join, but considering my partner was unceremoniously kicked off of this website with no explanation after several emails, I think I'll pass. If it becomes paid, I probably won't visit it anymore.

Thank you for weighing in on this.

Texas T
08-19-2007, 22:12
Originally posted by wacopnewbie
I do support most forums that I join, but considering my partner was unceremoniously kicked off of this website... Oh, he was expecting a ceremony? Our bad. :animlol:

mitchshrader
08-19-2007, 22:28
it's another to think they're perfect or that communication is unnecessary.

i'm an annoying type, usually on purpose. if *I* was thrown out, it wouldn't be a shock, but i'd LIKE to know why, if and when, it *might* be relevant.

or maybe even some HINT when a thread was closed, is this due to the topic (OP's fault) or a RESPONSE to the topic?

heck, i've had a thread or two closed and dunno was it me or was it something someone else said..

if the paid tier would maybe consolidate some issues into one 'Arguement Zone'.. RI, PI, 9mm vs 45ACP, Tastes Great vs Less Filling' ..

I'd not complain cause at least you'd have some way to contain the fall out..

And, if i have a gripe/constructive criticism it'd be that folks who resort to personal attacks were called on it "PUBLICLY" rather than just banned or the thread closed,

I *BELIEVE* (IN MY OPINION) that would help discourage repetition by others.

I support the board, try to keep at least 8 or 9 toes on my side of the line, apologize promptly and more often than i wish to for bad manners..

but once in a WHILE a genteel remonstration would do me some good.

maybe once in a while it'd do someone else some good too..

paying for a mosh pit wouldn't bother me.. maybe threads that got RUDE could be MOVED to the Mosh Pit?

however it works out, thanks to those who keep it running.