About to retire, can I join the Guard? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : About to retire, can I join the Guard?

fxdwngflyr
08-17-2007, 13:56
I heard a nasty rumor that I could join the National Guard and still collect my retirement from the active side. Is this true? I would like to continue my service for my country and still collect a retirement check. Best of both the worlds.

Blitzer
08-17-2007, 14:16
Yea and have your unit get activated and you and them go play in the sand box too.
:shocked:

dirkp
08-17-2007, 22:01
fxdwngflyr,

I retired from the Army about 2 years ago. I would have liked to do the same thing but unfortunately the answer is no. There is something in Title 10 that prevents someone from collecting active duty retirement pay while being a member of the TPU. I've heard that if you REALLY wanted to you could tell them to keep the retire pay and join the guard. Although that may sound crazy there may be a situation where a civilian (technician) position is open but they are tied (again unfortunately) to a unit membership. hth

;-)

fxdwngflyr
08-19-2007, 15:10
Yea and have your unit get activated and you and them go play in the sand box too.

That was kind of the point. Just dont want to stop fighting the fight but I am getting pretty tired of the "new military".

Oh well. Ill just have to get that government job and take more breaks.

Thanks,:banana: :banana: