Hot Wells Shooting Range in NW Houston [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hot Wells Shooting Range in NW Houston

08-18-2007, 10:54
Anyone shoots there, or works there? Recently moved to the NW Houston area. First time shooting there today. They won't let you use silhouette for practice. WTF?

nuparadigm
08-18-2007, 15:52
I haven't been there in years; moved to Fort Bend County and lost track of the place. Do they ban IDPA/IPSC targets as well?

breech
08-18-2007, 16:53
I try to stay away from Hot Wells. I found it way too unorganized and unsafe. The last and only time I was there (~3 years ago) the targets were placed really low to the ground. There weren't any range officers there. Just a kid with a bag full of targets running out and putting them up when the line was "clear". Things might have changed since then. I don't care to find out.

08-18-2007, 17:16
There were more "range officers" than shooters that I notice. Just a bunch of kids wearing the orange T-shirts. And yes, one with a bag full of targets putting them up when the line was "clear".
I don't know about the IDPA targets. But, when I was pulling out my silhouette to put it up, the guy said, "Sorry Sir, you're not allowed to use that." All they let you shoot was the lillte bullls-eye targets. Hell, they won't even let you double tap.
There was one area where I saw a cop instructing a class, where they use the silhouette. Everywhere else, bulls-eye.
Well, I won't be going back there.

breech
08-19-2007, 20:37
Check out ASC when you get a chance. It's a bit more expensive but much safer and way more organized. They take safety seriously.
Yes you can post up IDPA and IPSC targets. Silhouette targets are fine.

http://www.amshootcenters.com/

08-19-2007, 21:12
Originally posted by breech
Check out ASC when you get a chance. It's a bit more expensive but much safer and way more organized. They take safety seriously.
Yes you can post up IDPA and IPSC targets. Silhouette targets are fine.

http://www.amshootcenters.com/
Oh, I know ASC. I used to shoot there all the time. It's just a little farther from me now, and Hot Wells was pretty close by, so I thought I should check it out. Looks like I'll be going back to ASC.