the proverbial green card. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : the proverbial green card.

Ender
08-19-2007, 20:14
the chick at the police station has told me a couple of times to "keep and laminate my green card," because if i lose it they'll have to do the 'safety inspection' all over again.

is it true? i thought that after you had the green card, it basically made it easier to prove you owned the gun, but didn't really have to keep it...

MakeMineaP99
08-19-2007, 20:38
4. I lost my Michigan pistol registration (Safety Inspection Certificate). How do I go about getting another one?

MCL 28.429 You should contact your local law enforcement agency, where you currently reside, and request they re-register your pistol. Confirmation of prior registration can be made by that agency with the Michigan State Police, Firearms Records Unit, in Lansing. Another corresponding License to Purchase must be completed, unless you have a valid Concealed Pistol License.

Source:

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1586_27094-10953--,00.html#Pistol_Registration__Purchase____Transfer

john_glock_mi
08-20-2007, 14:19
I keep my deck of green cards in the safe. I scanned them all into my computer. I shrunk them down and printed them on both sides of 1/2 sheet of paper. I keep that folded up in my wallet.

gsbell
08-20-2007, 16:08
Good idea to have it on file to prove you've obeyed the law. It is not required to be on your person. If I lost one I'd probably redo it just in case. Otherwise I'd be the sorry SOB unable to prove that I've complied with the law.

The cadets doing it my local PD have said that I should laminate and keep it with the pistol at all times. Every time I challenge them and suggest that they not give out incorrect legal info. Dorks!

Letner
08-20-2007, 20:30
I would think they could just do a search on your serial number and provide a new card. I registered a gun and was given someone elses card and noticed it several hours later then I went back and they said they hit the wrong button and simply gave me the correct card.

I have asked several diff Leo if I needed to keep my green card with my ccw and some say yes some say no and others say they don't know

So just to keep out of trouble I keep my green cards (inspection card) with my blue card (CCW) and then I have it if someone needs to see it

COBRA90GT
08-20-2007, 21:27
If you have with you, great, if not, no big deal (unless LEIN was down, but even then that's a moot point because of the CCW permit).

MR. TWISTER
08-21-2007, 14:23
I lost one of my green cards once, I went to local police shop where they looked up my name and asked me which one I was missing. They then printed me a new card, no cost & no fuss!
Brandon

mac66
08-22-2007, 09:17
There is no legal requirment to have a green card in your possesion and there is no legal requirement to get another if you lose one. The need to keep the card is obsolete considering computer data bases.

There is a change in the law pending to eliminate the green card altogher. There really is no point to it.

I have pistols I bought 20-30 years ago and it would take me quite a while to find the green cards if I could find them at all.