ATTN University Students: Support your rights! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ATTN University Students: Support your rights!

nehpets99
08-20-2007, 13:46
To all University students:

WE NEED YOUR HELP in gaining support for our cause. What cause is that, you ask? Getting states or universities to allow concealed carry on campus. I am the Miami U. (Ohio, not Florida) representative of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC). Back in the spring, a friend of mine who is the rep for U. of Cincinnati had the great idea of holding an empty holster protest to show that state laws and/or university policies have reduced CHL holders to just that: empty holsters.

But we need your help. We have an event listed on facebook http://facebook.com/event.php?eid=2359003596 but last time I checked there were only about 70-80 confirmed individuals. Wear an empty holster (OWB, shoulder, something visible that looks like a holster!) during the week of Oct. 22 (that's 10/22) and wear it ALL WEEK! The point is that we want to generate debate! We want our classmates to ask us why we're wearing holsters! We want to let people know how responsible CHL holders, how they've gone through background checks, training, etc. and that we don't go around shooting people for the hell of it.

Send me a PM if you need an invite to the event or if you have any questions about the protest or SCCC and what you can do to help.

Beg, borrow, or steal a holster! You don't even have to have a CHL but as long as you support the rights of licensed individuals then we need your help! If someone asks you if you have a CHL and you don't want to answer honestly, lie!

mac66
08-22-2007, 09:39
I would suggest you let your college or university police/public safety/security know ahead of time what you are planning. That way when they get calls they can tell the callers that it is just a demonstration. The other suggestion is to get a sociology/criminal justice professor to go along with it as a project or assignment. Campus authorities take a dim view of students doing something out of the ordinary but faculty can usually get away with anything under the guise of "academic freedom."

Be prepared for the consequences, some campus police won't like it, some won't let you do it and some will overreact. However if you tell them ahead of time they are less likely to overreact than if they are confronted in a classroom as a result of other students or faculty calling them.

As someone who has over 30 years in law enforcement, many of those years at colleges and universities, I know I would appreciate knowing ahead of time.

nehpets99
08-22-2007, 10:16
Originally posted by mac66
I would suggest you let your college or university police/public safety/security know ahead of time what you are planning. That way when they get calls they can tell the callers that it is just a demonstration. The other suggestion is to get a sociology/criminal justice professor to go along with it as a project or assignment. Campus authorities take a dim view of students doing something out of the ordinary but faculty can usually get away with anything under the guise of "academic freedom."

Be prepared for the consequences, some campus police won't like it, some won't let you do it and some will overreact. However if you tell them ahead of time they are less likely to overreact than if they are confronted in a classroom as a result of other students or faculty calling them.

As someone who has over 30 years in law enforcement, many of those years at colleges and universities, I know I would appreciate knowing ahead of time.

Appreciate that. We have taken that under consideration and it will be up to my fellow students to contact their individual universities to let their administration/PD know. I'll try to get in touch with a prof and spread that word around...this is a national campaign/protest, not just limited to Ohio, so again it's each member's personal responsibility to represent the cause appropriately.

As for some schools won't allow it...that's their choice of course, but with so few participants spread out over the entire country, this isn't some march through the quad or something, this is just students going to class as normal, but visibly carrying empty holsters. If someone does decide to go ape-spit and shout that the sky is falling, the university PD or whatever would probably approach me, look at the empty holster, ask me why I'm doing this, and most likely say "have a nice day". Of course my college may be an exception rather than the rule. It would, of course, be different if there were hundreds of students at each university participating.

Appreciate the concern, though, and I'll pass your suggestions along.

jeep45238
08-23-2007, 08:03
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=2359003596

Please make sure you're signed up on it. We're near 100 folks so far, but I accidentally deleted 10-15 folks who ARE attending while I was taking out those who aren't.