Main Battle Tanks [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Main Battle Tanks


CatsMeow
08-20-2007, 19:28
Hi all,

I presume that some of you are also armored vehicle enthusiasts, as shown by the previous thread "Marine LVTs". So I'm starting my own.
:)

It is well-known that Germany is a left-hand-drive country, while Japan is right-hand-drive. And of course tanks are not supposed to roar down the highway on a regular basis. The mystery is, why is it that the German Leopard tank has the driver on the right side (right hand drive), while the Japanese Type 90 has the driver on the left (left hand drive)?:banana:

Evan N. Payawal
08-20-2007, 23:37
Don't know the answer to this, but many MBTs put the driver in the centerline, like the American M1, and the Russian T-72/80/90.

CatsMeow
08-21-2007, 01:01
I forgot that the Scorpion tank is also LHD, while the United Kingdom, which makes it, is right-hand-drive.

With all due respect to the Philippine Army's armored units, if my car sounded as bad as the Scorpions I saw during a parade, off it goes to the shop.

atmarcella
08-21-2007, 07:45
it does not matter cos good tanks, the ones w/ gps, dont use roads, the moment they do...they die, just like what happened to saddams tanks during gulf war 1, they were all killed on the road!

btw, discovery channel says the best mbt is the leopard 2:thumbsup:

colt4ever
08-21-2007, 13:56
I'm just wondering...do we have MBTs? our neigboring countries have it, why don't we have them, even a few perhaps?

chowchow
08-21-2007, 14:16
Mahal sa gaso. Hihigupin walang minuto. At least dapat may isang dosina pang paporma at pangpatakot lalo na panahon ng coup d etat, ano?
Ang Chinese mbt Type 99 ok na rin at mura. Pyesa ang lapit lang. Walang sikutsikut at sabit gaya ng mga puti


http://centurychina.com/plaboard/uploads/Type_99_in_exercise_f.jpg

http://centurychina.com/plaboard/uploads/Type_99_during_exercise_g.jpg

chowchow
08-21-2007, 14:25
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5149/14278647200708150926377lu6.jpg

bulm540
08-21-2007, 17:00
Originally posted by colt4ever
I'm just wondering...do we have MBTs? our neigboring countries have it, why don't we have them, even a few perhaps?
We had a couple of M 48s before.

bulm540
08-21-2007, 17:01
Originally posted by CatsMeow
Hi all,

I presume that some of you are also armored vehicle enthusiasts, as shown by the previous thread "Marine LVTs". So I'm starting my own.
:)

It is well-known that Germany is a left-hand-drive country, while Japan is right-hand-drive. And of course tanks are not supposed to roar down the highway on a regular basis. The mystery is, why is it that the German Leopard tank has the driver on the right side (right hand drive), while the Japanese Type 90 has the driver on the left (left hand drive)?:banana:
could be the location of the the tranny.

CatsMeow
08-21-2007, 19:00
Couldn't be the tranny. They're at the rear, part of the powerpack, since the drive sprockets are at the rear, unlike World War II tanks like the Sherman and the Tiger, where the drive sprockets are at the front. Also, today's tanks use automatics.

On the issue of tank trannys, I read somewhere that the driver of a Russian T-34 had a sledgehammer handy, to "assist" in the shifting.

Anyway, if anybody knows somebody at Krauss-Maffei in Germany and Mitsubishi in Japan, or Alvis in the UK, now would be the time to ask.:)

On the issue of jungle fighting with tanks, I recommend Ralph Zumbro's book "Tank Sergeant". M48s were very effective in Vietnam, provided they work as a group and with infantry to keep the RPG gunners away. So there is no question that MBTs can be very useful here in our setting.

isuzu
08-21-2007, 22:04
The tank is essentially a mobile artillery, so the main concern when they designed the tanks was the turret area where the tank commander, loader and the gunner are stationed. Ammo was also located in that area. Any available space that the design had was for the driver's location. I've been inside a Canadian tank that was displayed during the Calgary Stampede, and even if it was a modern design, it was still cramped.

CatsMeow
08-22-2007, 00:12
In the Alvis CVR-T Scorpion, there was no choice because the powerpack sat in front to the right of the driver. It was powered by a de-rated 4.2 liter 6-cylinder Jaguar sports car engine, making it one of the fastest tanks ever. The mystery is with the Leopard and Type 90, whose powerpacks are at the rear, like most MBTs, except for the Israeli Merkava. And the co-driver (or BoG) position went out with the exit of the M47 (M48/M60 predecessor).

I saw a picture of a LAV-25 8x8 APC used by the Australian army. The rear had a prominent sign "Caution: Left Hand Drive", similar to what we used to see with RHD trucks before the government forced their conversion to LHD.

Thailand has a lot of M48s and M60s, plus they were the only customer of the Cadillac Gage Stingray light tank. So, why not us?

atmarcella
08-22-2007, 07:35
hhhhmmmmm we dont have money....

hhhhhmmmmmm we are poor...


hhhhhmmmm we cant afford it....

pick any answer...im sure it will suffice:supergrin:

antediluvianist
08-22-2007, 08:28
The manufacturers of the Leopard etc. did not offer Gen. Garcia enough of a kickback.

jerrytrini
08-22-2007, 08:48
OFF TOPIC; which elected Senators are incorruptible? or better yet, who do you THINK would perform for the good of all.

CatsMeow
08-22-2007, 19:26
Hmph, only voted for one (he made it). Hated the rest.

Anyway, M48s and M60s, as well as T-54/55s and Leopard 1s were available at give-away prices when the newer tanks came into service. A lot of countries such as Greece and Turkey benefited from this "cascading". In fact, it was this dirt-cheap and ready availability to the Brazilian Army, plus some corporate troubles, that killed Brazil's ENGESA and their promising Osorio MBT.

Perhaps the Yanks are still ticked off at us for kicking them out of Subic. This may be why our Air Force gets refurbished Hueys while Turkey gets the USMC's surplus (but still very deadly) AH-1 Cobras, or why Turkey and Greece gets the USN's retired frigates while we get one little Cyclone class patrol boat.

Geez, if one of our Asian neighbors decides to invade us, we'll be OVERRUN... We don't have anything in the inventory, on wheels or tracks, that will stop an MBT...:sad:

bulm540
08-22-2007, 21:07
We don't need MBTs, our soldiers need teh basic equipment. Our asian neighbors will not invade us, with a lot of good IPSC shooters sa pinas, takot sila :)

isuzu
08-22-2007, 21:21
Originally posted by CatsMeow
Hmph, only voted for one (he made it). Hated the rest.

Anyway, M48s and M60s, as well as T-54/55s and Leopard 1s were available at give-away prices when the newer tanks came into service. A lot of countries such as Greece and Turkey benefited from this "cascading". In fact, it was this dirt-cheap and ready availability to the Brazilian Army, plus some corporate troubles, that killed Brazil's ENGESA and their promising Osorio MBT.

Perhaps the Yanks are still ticked off at us for kicking them out of Subic. This may be why our Air Force gets refurbished Hueys while Turkey gets the USMC's surplus (but still very deadly) AH-1 Cobras, or why Turkey and Greece gets the USN's retired frigates while we get one little Cyclone class patrol boat.

Geez, if one of our Asian neighbors decides to invade us, we'll be OVERRUN... We don't have anything in the inventory, on wheels or tracks, that will stop an MBT...:sad:

Well, Turkey is a member of NATO. It gets priority and it was a staging area when the first Gulf War broke out. The newer equipment given to them were probably part of the arrangement.

Do we really need MBTs? I would say no. We need light tanks that could be quickly deployed, easily maneuverable and easier to maintain. MBTs are not suited for our terrain. Most battles take part in heavily forested areas, and in Vietnam, the MBTs were of no use to that particular terrain. It was the M113s, the V-150 Chaimites and their variants who penetrated the forests. The MBT's cannon would easily get tangled in the foliage, and it is cumbersome to maneuver in thick foliage.

Do we have the budget to sustain MBTs? I again say no. We had F8 Crusaders and they were scrapped by the PAF in the late 80's. For every hour the Crusader flew, it consumed fuel equivalent to 3 hours of flight of the UH-1H.

Would Asian or ASEAN neighbors invade us? Not unless we attacked them first. That's why there's the ASEAN. It was meant to foster unity among neighboring countries. If China ever invades us, it's a no contest. Offer the armored equipment as scrap; maybe they'll buy them.:supergrin:

bulm540
08-22-2007, 21:23
China won't invade us, they are basking in their economic prosperity. War is far from their minds, making lotsa money is.

Allegra
08-22-2007, 22:25
Originally posted by bulm540
We don't need MBTs, our soldiers need teh basic equipment. Our asian neighbors will not invade us, with a lot of good IPSC shooters sa pinas, takot sila :)


we already sent letters to our Asian neighbors
"Please invade us! and Bring your money! "
So far , only Korea seemed intersted

CatsMeow
08-22-2007, 22:28
Ralph Zumbro, the author of "Tank Sergeant", commanded an M48 dozer tank in Vietnam. He stated that they used to ram the M48 through foliage so thick that they would leave a tank-shaped hole. They routinely push over jungle trees, except for the ironwood tree(kamagong?) and a certain tree with wide roots that when pushed over would push its roots up under the tank and leave it hanging with its tracks churning away inches from the ground.

Of course, all that jungle busting did result in tank fenders torn off, plus the main gun needed constant re-zeroing. Still, the M48's main gun was very effective against massed NVA and Vietcong, when loaded with cannister rounds. And they mastered the art of "backscratching" a buddy tank that got boarded by enemy infantry.

I do agree with the reasons the Army would not be able to afford running, much less buying, MBTs, not the least of which is the tank's high diesel fuel consumption, plus I don't think the rural bridges can take them, not after the politicians got their kickbacks.:supergrin:

CatsMeow
08-23-2007, 00:30
Originally posted by Allegra
we already sent letters to our Asian neighbors
"Please invade us! and Bring your money! "
So far , only Korea seemed intersted

We're going to be overrun by Koreans in the near future if this trend continues. Ok lang, for as long as they mind their manners, and they don't export their gun laws (total gun ban for them!:upeyes: ).

The Korean Hyundai MBT was designed by General Dynamics in the USA, uses a German MTU engine (same as the Leopard), and in its latest version shares the same 120mm smoothbore main gun as most of the modern MBTs (M1A2 Abrams, Leopard 2, GIAT Leclerc, Mitsubishi Type 90).

antediluvianist
08-23-2007, 00:41
A Colonel friend of mine in the marines says that the marines have developed, and are now testing, an armored ambulance.

The idea is to be able to send the vehicle out to pick up wounded marines . Has to be armored because the Abu Sayyaf fire on ambulances. Main remaining problem is to improve the ability of the driver/attendant inside to be able to see the wounded when they are very near them.

CatsMeow
08-23-2007, 01:15
Now that Korea is fielding its new US designed MBT, perhaps they would let us have their M48s? They were nice enough to donate to us some of their patrol boats.

The Korean M48s are distinctive in that they have skirts on their tracks, making them look like the Centurion and virtually all modern MBTs.

Mang Danny
08-23-2007, 14:00
Originally posted by bulm540
We don't need MBTs, our soldiers need teh basic equipment. Our asian neighbors will not invade us, with a lot of good IPSC shooters sa pinas, takot sila :)
Dapat nga yung mga movie action stars ang ipadala vs. abu sayyaf at milf.:supergrin:

CatsMeow
08-23-2007, 18:52
Originally posted by Mang Danny
Dapat nga yung mga movie action stars ang ipadala vs. abu sayyaf at milf.:supergrin:

Ditto on that! I don't watch Tagalog movies, much less action Tagalog movies, ubod sa corny. And let them use full-auto all the time as they do in the movies, let's see how long they last before screaming for resupply.:supergrin:

bulm540
08-23-2007, 21:16
Dapat yung mga military adventurist ang ma-una.

CatsMeow
08-24-2007, 03:22
Arnold Schwarzenegger, before he became "somebody":supergrin: was a tank driver of an M47 in the Austrian Army. Used to store his weights in its storage boxes. It seems he loved his tank so much that later, he tracked down this particular tank, which was now demilitarized, bought it, and had it brought to the States with him. It's now sitting in the Motts Military Museum where sometimes old Ahnold shows up and drives it around for a time. Though, with an air-cooled V-12 gasoline engine, it would be just as expensive to operate as a Philippine Marines LVT, but chicken feed for him ...

Well, we shouldn't be surprised, he had so much pull that he was the first civilian owner of a Humvee... What's next for him, an Abrams?:supergrin:

cebuboy
08-24-2007, 04:02
Instead of tanks, I think self propelled artillery is more useful here:) you can shell the enemy to kingdom come and its cheaper than bomber aircraft.

akula
08-24-2007, 04:06
Originally posted by antediluvianist
A Colonel friend of mine in the marines says that the marines have developed, and are now testing, an armored ambulance.

The idea is to be able to send the vehicle out to pick up wounded marines . Has to be armored because the Abu Sayyaf fire on ambulances. Main remaining problem is to improve the ability of the driver/attendant inside to be able to see the wounded when they are very near them. Already completed and ready for shipment to the frontline of Basilan...

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q126/ghosts_of_manila/P1010080_s.jpg

This unit is part of the Self-Reliance Devt Project of the Philippine Marines, where this particular unit have already been decommissioned for more than a decade. Surplus engines from a previous upgrade was installed on it and made it into sometime really very useful.

Full thread of the development, including lots of images at Timawa.net
http://timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=8792.0

Blitzer
08-24-2007, 04:14
It has been dwon played but the scoop on the M1 is it is getting it's arse handed to it in the narrow streets of Iraq at this time. Not enough infantry cover and a gook runs up behind it and drives an RPG-7 up it tail.

:shocked: :sad:

chowchow
08-24-2007, 06:15
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=975_1178268710

Mga papards, so much for today's MBT, the best cant even stand IED s, like 500 lb dumb bombs rigged on command.

chowchow
08-24-2007, 06:26
http://youtube.com/v/h316u3y3Lzk


Tanggal yung wheelies at engine went deado, crews survived , mabuti naman .

cebuboy
08-24-2007, 06:36
Tanks are not so effective inside cities when they are afraid of collateral damage...

chowchow
08-24-2007, 06:38
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ae4uliF5N7k

Maganda naman tung Korean made. Bakit ang galing ng Koreans? We even helped and saved their butts in the Korean war and here they are able to make an MBT of their own. At tayo, nagtatanggap lang ng second or third hand na gamit.

atmarcella
08-24-2007, 08:35
bakit?...hhhhhmmmmmmmm....they're hardworking...

tayo hardworking din ah....sa pagagawa ng mga sangol hehehehe.

kita mo population natin grabe sobra sobra hehehehe.

chowchow
08-24-2007, 10:06
The first is last and last is first, hehehe. Ang dameng siesta time ang inubos ng Bayan.

Allegra
08-24-2007, 18:03
Originally posted by atmarcella
bakit?...hhhhhmmmmmmmm....they're hardworking...

tayo hardworking din ah....sa pagagawa ng mga sangol hehehehe.

kita mo population natin grabe sobra sobra hehehehe.


kaya wala silang sense of humor e haha

Mang Danny
08-25-2007, 10:17
Originally posted by atmarcella
bakit?...hhhhhmmmmmmmm....they're hardworking...

tayo hardworking din ah....sa pagagawa ng mga sangol hehehehe.

kita mo population natin grabe sobra sobra hehehehe.
Hard working or hardly working?:supergrin:

CatsMeow
08-26-2007, 00:23
Koreans are indeed hardworking, but rather lacking in manners and, from personal experience, common sense.

The other year our office had an outing at a Mactan resort. I just had to try their water slide, but I stopped sliding just before the drop-off. Next thing I know I heard an "OHO" behind me and then I was in the water, with this Korean guy's legs around my waist. I wouldn't have minded if it was a girl. The staff found it most hilarious. Now, if he had a lick of common sense, would it have behooved him to see if the slide was clear before sitting on it?

And if you think Korean weapons are original, consider this: the Daewoo K2 rifle is basically an M16 with an AK gas system and a Stoner 63 ejector; their SAW is a copy of the FN MINIMI /M249; the Hyundai MBT is US-designed with a German diesel; their APC looks like the FMC AIFV we also use, but with a German MAN V-8 engine and British transmission; and their armored car is Italian Oto Breda, made under license.;)

CatsMeow
08-26-2007, 00:43
Originally posted by cebuboy
Tanks are not so effective inside cities when they are afraid of collateral damage...

The US Marines had a novel way of dealing with Somali demonstrators (before the 1993 debacle portrayed in Blackhawk Down), who would lie down in front of their M1s:

1. Load anything, elevate main gun to maximum and fire: everybody on the ground holding their ears;:supergrin:

2. Do a 180 and let them have a taste of super-hot turbine engine exhaust.:supergrin:

antediluvianist
08-26-2007, 06:35
"but rather lacking in manners "

There have been so many anecdotes about Koreans acting in nasty/impolite (that's being kind) ways.

My anecdote - a Korean guy playing golf in a tournament I was in in Indonesia missed a put and kicked in the cup - destroyed it. The golf club retaliated by never allowing that group, which ran the tournament, to use that club again.

Right now, Koreans are buying up golf courses in the Philippines. They just bought 200 ha. from a company I am with, and I know they have bought a golfcourse in Luisita.

My relatives who survived WWII said it was the Korean garrison troops who were the worst.

Well, there are fine Koreans but just like some of those lower-level Japanese who came here decades ago in tourgroups and did bad things, some of these guys act pretty badly too.

batangueno
08-26-2007, 06:46
Originally posted by CatsMeow

The other year our office had an outing at a Mactan resort. I just had to try their water slide, but I stopped sliding just before the drop-off. Next thing I know I heard an "OHO" behind me and then I was in the water, with this Korean guy's legs around my waist. I wouldn't have minded if it was a girl. The staff found it most hilarious. Now, if he had a lick of common sense, would it have behooved him to see if the slide was clear before sitting on it?

:animlol: Sorry i couln't resist.

Allegra
08-26-2007, 07:06
Originally posted by batangueno
:animlol: Sorry i couln't resist.

bwahahahaha!! ako din :)

Paul umayos ka ahem

CatsMeow
08-26-2007, 20:36
After we both got up from the pool bottom and he apologized profusely, it WAS funny... in retrospect:animlol:

Ok lang, I stayed clear of them afterwards...just ogled the ladies with the mini-binoculars I always carry... one thing about Korean girls, manners aside, they're rather skinny...:supergrin:

atmarcella
08-26-2007, 22:04
well they might be stupid but they have the cash....

And if you think Korean weapons are original, consider this: the Daewoo K2 rifle is basically an M16 with an AK gas system and a Stoner 63 ejector; their SAW is a copy of the FN MINIMI /M249; the Hyundai MBT is US-designed with a German diesel; their APC looks like the FMC AIFV we also use, but with a German MAN V-8 engine and British transmission; and their armored car is Italian Oto Breda, made under license

at least naka gawa sila... tayo anong nagawa natin?


"but rather lacking in manners "

maybe thats bcos ang nakaka punta sa atin dito mga nasa lower strata ng society nila... tayo yung mga squatter ba natin nakaka punta sa ibang bansa?

im not defending the koreans, im just looking at my sins first before i throw the stone....

chowchow
08-26-2007, 23:40
During the Vietnam War , ang ROK continent na mga Marines were known to not take any VC or NVA prisoners alive . Hanep daw mag torture at killers talaga. Parang din mga Japones ito sila , may mga similarities in how they operate in combat and dealing with captured prisoners. Im not trying to defend the VC but the VC are quite scared of them .

CatsMeow
08-26-2007, 23:56
Originally posted by akula
Already completed and ready for shipment to the frontline of Basilan...

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q126/ghosts_of_manila/P1010080_s.jpg

This unit is part of the Self-Reliance Devt Project of the Philippine Marines, where this particular unit have already been decommissioned for more than a decade. Surplus engines from a previous upgrade was installed on it and made it into sometime really very useful.

Full thread of the development, including lots of images at Timawa.net
http://timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=8792.0

Did the Marines make sure the enlarged doors are sealed against water, thus preserving its amphibious capability? It would not be nice if the converted LAV-150 was forced to make a swim for it, across a river for example, and would sink, carrying down any wounded it was carrying.

I also wonder if it still had the same type of engine, Cummins V-504, normally-aspirated as I did not hear any turbo whine from a V-150. V-300 6x6, very distinctive turbo whine from its Cummins 5.9 liter 6-cylinder diesel.

I wonder what happened to that allegedly locally-made 4x4 armored vehicle prominently displayed at Rizal Park about a decade ago; looked like a V-150 but with the turret at the rear.

CatsMeow
08-27-2007, 00:02
Originally posted by chowchow
During the Vietnam War , ang ROK continent na mga Marines were known to not take any VC or NVA prisoners alive . Hanep daw mag torture at killers talaga. Parang din mga Japones ito sila , may mga similarities in how they operate in combat and dealing with captured prisoners. Im not trying to defend the VC but the VC are quite scared of them .

Well, they indeed had something special for the VC or NVA they took alive. They would line them up, then question the first man. If no answer, bang, then question the next man, no answer, bang, so on down the line. They were also known to throw prisoners from helicopters.

Allegra
08-27-2007, 06:42
Originally posted by CatsMeow
Well, they indeed had something special for the VC or NVA they took alive. They would line them up, then question the first man. If no answer, bang, then question the next man, no answer, bang, so on down the line. They were also known to throw prisoners from helicopters.


eerrr....I doubt that would scare the VietCong

CatsMeow
08-27-2007, 19:31
Originally posted by Allegra
eerrr....I doubt that would scare the VietCong

Indeed, but it would make them most talkative... lalo na since it's an Asian, not a puti, that's doing it...

Hazing is also routine in Korean recruit training, so no surprises there.:supergrin:

chowchow
08-27-2007, 20:14
Originally posted by CatsMeow
Well, they indeed had something special for the VC or NVA they took alive. They would line them up, then question the first man. If no answer, bang, then question the next man, no answer, bang, so on down the line. They were also known to throw prisoners from helicopters.


Panakit butas nalang yan. Ang S Korea wala na nga yan without the intervention of US and UN forces in 1950.

Allegra
08-27-2007, 20:24
Originally posted by CatsMeow
Indeed, but it would make them most talkative... lalo na since it's an Asian, not a puti, that's doing it...

Hazing is also routine in Korean recruit training, so no surprises there.:supergrin:


must be all the kimchi
they are indeed pretty bad tempered

chowchow
08-27-2007, 20:51
They have similarities with Japs, mga distant cousins lang yan.

atmarcella
08-28-2007, 01:35
Originally posted by chowchow
Panakit butas nalang yan. Ang S Korea wala na nga yan without the intervention of US and UN forces in 1950.

it goes to show how far they have gone, tayo our country was never devastated by a major war like theirs since the end of ww2...but look who's more prosperous now:shocked:

CatsMeow
08-28-2007, 02:07
Originally posted by chowchow
They have similarities with Japs, mga distant cousins lang yan.

I don't know if it was TIME or Newsweek, but the main article was about how it was that the Japanese were actually descended from the Koreans, and the former has found it most difficult to swallow. Perhaps it's the reason they occupied Korea for some time, and pressed a lot of its people into the Japanese Army during World War II.

Anyway, in copying and adapting, the Koreans are simply following what the Japanese did right after the war: the Toyota Land Cruiser, in its original version, was simply an improved Willys Jeep, and the first post-war Japanese MBT was a scaled-down, diesel-engined, US M47, and which was retired fairly recently.

One weapon the Japanese army couldn't improve on: the venerable Browning M2HB .50 caliber machine gun, made for them by Sumitomo.

antediluvianist
08-28-2007, 03:27
Well, the Koreans generally hate the Japs, because of how cruelly the Japs treated them when Korea was under Japan . And Japanese consider Koreans (and Filipinos and all other Asians) inferior to them.

I once made the mistake of arranging a blind date between a Japanese girl and a Korean guy. Boy, that was a match made in hell.

CatsMeow
08-28-2007, 03:39
Originally posted by antediluvianist
Well, the Koreans generally hate the Japs, because of how cruelly the Japs treated them when Korea was under Japan . And Japanese consider Koreans (and Filipinos and all other Asians) inferior to them.

I once made the mistake of arranging a blind date between a Japanese girl and a Korean guy. Boy, that was a match made in hell.

:rofl: :animlol:

vega
08-29-2007, 16:38
Originally posted by CatsMeow
It is well-known that Germany is a left-hand-drive country, while Japan is right-hand-drive. And of course tanks are not supposed to roar down the highway on a regular basis. The mystery is, why is it that the German Leopard tank has the driver on the right side (right hand drive), while the Japanese Type 90 has the driver on the left (left hand drive)?:banana:

Because the Germans were ready to occupy England so they prepare their tank for it.

Well, the Japanese thought about it too so they prepare their tanks for it.

:rofl:

CatsMeow
08-29-2007, 21:57
I heard that theory before. It's still good...:animlol:

Anyway, since we can't afford to buy, much less run, MBTs, whether left or right hand drive:supergrin: , and our soldiers are always ambush-prone, maybe we should take a look at a very successful Vietnam-era concept, the GUN TRUCK, a five-tonner truck armored and with lots of machine guns at the sides, plus lots of ammo. I read that they were so effective at beating back ambushes that the VC put out a bounty on any member of a gun truck crew.

There's a gun truck named "Eve of Destruction" in a military museum in the states. Perhaps some Glockers may have seen it.

The Koreans did in fact donate some M35 trucks to us, plus there are a lot of surplus military trucks here in Cebu. And Filipino mechanics are world-class. So it wouldn't be too difficult to resurrect the gun truck concept, more so since I saw yesterday a picture of a Philippine Marines armored truck, basically a gun truck without the machine guns.