Could he really be a Viet Nam era SEAL [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Could he really be a Viet Nam era SEAL

akapennypincher
08-21-2007, 09:11
A person I encounter all the time is always blowing his whistle about being a SEAL in NAM, and Spend 3 Year in Country, and all the other bs. I have know a few REAL SEAL from my day in the News Biz when the State of California was building it own Viet Nam Memorial.

question if this person was really a SEAL, how is it possible to find out for sure. He also has a SMALL TATTOO on one hand with a TWO DIGIT NUMBER, he say it is significant as there were that man SEAL in Training that all were headed to Viet Nam, and thus the entire group each got the TWO DIGIT NUMBER Tattooed on their hands.

Batesmotel
08-21-2007, 09:41
There is a web site that lists SEALS and keeps a list of guys claiming to be SEALS. I don't have the link but you might be able to find it. There are a lot of SEALS who are not on the list or have asked to be removed but it had a lot of fakers listed.

FraudCop
08-21-2007, 11:01
Outing him is so very easy. Real deal SEALs don't talk about it very much at all. Ask him what his class number was and his swim buddies name. These are two facts that a real deal SEAL takes to his grave. By the way a real SEAL will answer without thinking.

akapennypincher
08-21-2007, 16:36
Originally posted by FraudCop
Outing him is so very easy. Real deal SEALs don't talk about it very much at all. Ask him what his class number was and his swim buddies name. These are two facts that a real deal SEAL takes to his grave. By the way a real SEAL will answer without thinking.

As I said I have met a Few Real SEALS who for the most part seemed like real quiet people, and never bragged about their exploits. Also met a few REAL Medal of Honor Recipients who also were very quit guy for the most part, and never bragged about their HERO Status...

there use to be this little guy who was a regular customer at the Ben Avery Range in PHX, he claimed to be a SEAL, but his story was easly shot down when he mentioned he was the ONLY SEAL on his TEAM to not get the MOH.

quaviet
08-24-2007, 03:59
The earlier responses to your post are correct in my experience. I was going through Navy instructor training in San Diego in early 1976 and there were four seal team members in the class, all were combat veterans with Silver Stars or Navy Crosses. For the most part they were very subdued until one day they were all silent and one was holding his head down during class. When I asked what was up I was told that the fellow holding his head down had been playing pool in a bar last night and had broken a guys leg with a pool cue. Pretty rough bunch that I would not mind being associated with any day of the week.

In answer to your question, the gentleman is lying.

quaviet
08-24-2007, 04:04
A duplicate that I have now erased.

Blitzer
08-24-2007, 04:22
Verify a Navy Seal's authenticity (http://veriseal.org/)

WARNING WARNING WARNING
Important notice about a bogus site called "AuthentiSEAL"

VeriSEAL Group provides independent, no-cost verification of Special Operations Forces personnel backgrounds to SEC associates, clients and law enforcement. Requests from the general public are considered on a case-by-case basis.

VeriSEAL was formed in 1992 as an independent, internal unit of the Counter-Terrorism / Protection Group (CTP). Our mission was to arm SEC Corp. (USI) with the ability to provide associates and clients worldwide with immediate confirmation of SEAL and other SOF credentials. That mission was expanded to a gratis public service in 1994 with the commissioning of the 'Hall of Shame' under the auspices of 'The Teams' website (no longer online) -- the first such list to make public a roster of individuals masquerading as elite force operators. 'The Teams' was also the first Navy SEAL website on the Internet.

VeriSEAL is one of only a small number of BUD/S database custodians in the world. The database, compiled by the U.S. Naval Special Warfare Command and Naval Special Warfare Archives, is a complete record of all graduates of Basic Underwater Demolition / SEAL (BUD/S) training from the 1940s to the most recent graduating BUD/S class. While the information contained in the database is not classified, it is sensitive. VeriSEAL maintains appropriate security measures and restricts direct database access to authorized CTP personnel only.

More than half a dozen U.S. Government agencies, in addition to state and local law enforcement agencies and the general public, have utilized VeriSEAL to provide immediate SEAL background verifications on government employees, contractors, suspected criminals and others who claim service in the U.S. Navy SEAL Teams.

Approximately 95% of the Subjects of verification requests are Navy SEAL or other SOF impostors.

VeriSEAL is an exclusive service of Security Enterprise Consultants. It is a no-cost public service. No fees have ever been charged to, or requested of, any user. Donations are neither solicited nor accepted. All verification requests are strictly confidential.

I m p o s t o r N e w s (http://sec-global.com/services/ctp/vsg/news/)

akapennypincher
08-28-2007, 16:29
Originally posted by quaviet
The earlier responses to your post are correct in my experience. I was going through Navy instructor training in San Diego in early 1976 and there were four seal team members in the class, all were combat veterans with Silver Stars or Navy Crosses. For the most part they were very subdued until one day they were all silent and one was holding his head down during class. When I asked what was up I was told that the fellow holding his head down had been playing pool in a bar last night and had broken a guys leg with a pool cue. Pretty rough bunch that I would not mind being associated with any day of the week.

In answer to your question, the gentleman is lying.

. Thanks for the reply..

Think this BLOW HARD is not a Real Seal, or the Real Deal.. :drunk: :drunk:

quaviet
08-29-2007, 03:42
Here is another thing that made me believe he was lying is about the tattoo. When I was up and down the coast and river mouths and canals of North and South Vietnam during the spring offensive and then on liberty in the armpit of the Pacific (Subic Bay), I wanted to get a tattoo of a range finder on my arm (just like the badge on my sleeve, but bigger). My friends on board ship said not to do it because it was a way for the enemy to identify you as a provocateur. That would be the most honorable way to die, by the thousand cuts without a tear, if captured. My memory is not that good anymore but I don't believe any of the seals in my Instructor "A" school had any tattoos.

Mushin
09-01-2007, 02:01
Navy seals don't talk about it. Most of their stuff is classified.
They don't like impostors, thus the wall of shame.
They have their own community and circle of friends (family).

akapennypincher
09-02-2007, 11:44
Thanks for all the replies... :juggle:

quaviet
09-04-2007, 06:45
I was only a lowly FTM. We carried seal team in and then picked them up and ran like scalded cats,oops, I meant to say that the enemy ran like scalded cats. This was highly classified but at least we tried as a country. The mission was to free the POWs. That had no chance of success. We were far off from the drop zone but the special forces demanded it. I don't think they made it 100yds before they were asking to come home. All they were was the bait. But we let them come home.

VAshooter
09-14-2007, 12:30
The "SEAL" tattoo worn by Vietnam era SEALS was a little sea lion with a big grin and a sailor hat cocked to one side on his head. Normally about half way up the left arm so that it could be covered with a shirt.

There was no terrorism back then so they didn't worry so much about being identified. Today they don't wear tattoos or even put SOCOM bumper stickers on their cars.