I'm DONE with Shooters Supply!!!!!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I'm DONE with Shooters Supply!!!!!!!

Terminator2
08-22-2007, 09:05
So it has been over TWO months since I ordered by meprolights from them, after numerous calls, finally I cancelled my order, which I place over the phone, now they want me to drive all the way there from Brooks to get my credit card refunded. At first they said they only give in-store credit for special orders(I wanted 2 different colors), but nobody told me that when I ordered them! What a trip!
Thanks for letting me vent! GRRRRRRRR Can anyone suggest a good gun shop??

domzilla9
08-22-2007, 09:10
We tried to tell you. Why not order your meps from Glockmeister or Lone Wolf distributors? Heck, I have a set of used meps for a 9mm/40 glock that I would sell you cheap. I'll have to check them out tonight and see how bright they are, but my recollection is that they are very bright?

Terminator2
08-22-2007, 09:25
Why are you selling them? How old? What color, green?

domzilla9
08-22-2007, 09:31
I am selling them because I don't like nightsights. They came on a gun that I recently traded on. I promptly replaced them with all black warren tacticals. They are green. I will be at Bluegrass Indoor Range tomorrow night for the GLIPSC shoot and I will bring them. I'll sell them for $20. Dean (certified Glock Armorer) can probably install them for you for a very reasonable fee.

Terminator2
08-22-2007, 09:36
Why don't you like them? Are they old?

domzilla9
08-22-2007, 09:50
It's not that I don't like these nightsights. I don't care for any kind of nightsights, period. I don not like them in the rain, I do not like them on a train. I do not like them, Sam-I-AM.

If you like them, more power to you. Like I said, you take a look at them, if you like them for $20, great. If you don't, no problem.

Terminator2
08-22-2007, 11:04
ok then i will see you tommorow

Berretta9
08-22-2007, 17:14
Man, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who thought they were treated well there. Mostly over price.

SAVAGEg23
08-22-2007, 17:41
I agree, I had the same problem with them, I won't go back.
The Oak Wood in Middletown has better prices and better service.

domzilla9
08-22-2007, 18:34
//I really should show some restraint//

moreammoplz
08-22-2007, 19:45
The crappy prices and pushy service is why I will drive to Bud's or Whittakers for guns.

It is always fun to do a "ROAD TRIP" anyways.

:laughabove:

wprebeck
08-25-2007, 13:16
Disregard...

Oh, and Shooter's does suck. For prices on other-than-Glock stuff, I usually go to Tilford's. For Glocks, I just get a letterhead and go to Kiesler's. For parts/accessories, I use MidwayUSA or Brownells*.

* It's weird that Midway's prices can actually beat the LE discount Brownells gives, sometimes.

If anyone needs anything, feel free to PM me, and I can work out a deal for you...

Berretta9
08-25-2007, 16:59
I've been in Tilfords a few times and bought some reloading supplies. Nice little place.

moreammoplz
08-25-2007, 18:09
Tilfords use to be the best shop in town for deals, but lately I thought he was high. Also the smoke is so dense you can cut it with a knife. I have bought a few used guns there, but not New

wprebeck
08-26-2007, 06:41
I've bought a couple from him...if you like Taurus revolvers, he's got some great deals on them. Bought a 44SS6 (the Taurus version of a Smith 629) new for ~$450. The used 629 sitting next to it was almost $100 more, and didn't have the lifetime warranty.

KY23
08-31-2007, 12:41
I have a funny Shooter's supply story. My buddy came into a little bit of money. He wanted a .50 BMG sniper rifle. For some stupid reason he decides to go to Shooter's supply. He tells them he wants a Barrett .50 BMG M99. They said they had one "lets fill out the paperwork". So he does and pays them way above MSRP because my friend did zero research before making this purchase.

He gets it home and a week or so later shows me the gun. Its a .416 Barrett and not a .50 BMG. So my buddy goes back to Shooters and they tell him they can't take a rifle back even if it has never been fired. They offer him $1,800 less than what he paid for the rifle.

Some of this was my buddies fault but Shooter's supply took advantage of him big time and then screwed him even harder when he tried to go back. He ended up keeping the .416 Barrett M99 and I set him up with a local FFL that helped him get the .50 BMG M99 at a good price ($1,200 less than what he paid at Shooter's Supply). Now he has to sell the .416 Barrett which will not be an easy thing to do in this part of the country.

I'll never buy from them again.

openrange
09-15-2007, 16:56
I'm surpised to hear no one mention Openrange. We may not be the lowest priced but we are fair and certainly stand by our customer service.

Openrange carries less inventory and therefore we deal with lots of special orders. We know up front that this isn't going to make us money but our mission is to build our customer base and keep a happy customer. So far we've been successful.

Don't be too brutal on Shooters. They have served the shooting community for many years here in Louisville area. Yes we are their competition but we need a strong community purchasing from our local stores to keep our sport and our businesses thriving. Tilford and Buds have awesome prices yet you are taking money out of the local community. Without strong local firearm businesses our sport will shrivel and die here in Louisville.

Openrange has provided a world class indoor range with a fairly priced retail store to support our sport. Let us know what you think of us and if there is any way we can improve. No we cant meet buds or tilfords prices but we offer other amenities here(free range time etc).

If you haven't visited us yet come to our GSSF INDOOR MATCH this Monday the 17th from 5-7:45 and say hi and check us out.

Barry

garand4u
09-15-2007, 17:18
Don't be too brutal on Shooters. They have served the shooting community for many years here in Louisville area. Yes we are their competition but we need a strong community purchasing from our local stores to keep our sport and our businesses thriving. Tilford and Buds have awesome prices yet you are taking money out of the local community.

First of all I believe you mean Whittakers and not Tilfords, since Tilfords is in Louisville off of Fern Valley Road.

As for "Screwing....errr.. Serving the local community" I have a hard time buying that one. Yes, they have a nice selection, but the prices at Shooters are through the roof, sometimes over MSRP.

I was in the market for a Nova shotgun when it first came out, had an MSRP of $300 and they wanted $399 for one.

When I hear buy local and don't go to Buds or Whittakers, my thinking is WHY can't a local dealer run a business like Buds and Whittakers to keep me local??????

KY Imports had a nice niche when they were selling guns. GREAT prices on slightly used Glocks and Sigs. I hated to see them lose their FFL. I bought several guns from them and also picked up a few cases of ammo.

As for Open Range, You have a Beautiful RANGE and I wish the range was closer to me.

I was amazed that you didn't have any used firearms.

I also have to say I thought your prices on the guns you did have were a bit on the high side. My guess is that you will do okay since there is a large portion of gun buyers that won't do the research on pricing or drive several hours at $3 a gallon for a better deal.

Having that nice range is going to allow people to shoot what they buy from you, others in town can't beat that.

Best of luck.

openrange
09-15-2007, 17:51
Thanks. Your right I meant Whittakers.

I guess Buds et al run the business with so little margins that no one can really afford to do it here. He really must turn a lot of guns over to make ends meet plus no new business with new overhead etc can afford to do that.

You are spot on with used guns. There is more profit there than new but that is one thing for us to edge into the future. There is obviously a learning curve and a liability issue with used. Definately a great suggestion.

Come play here when you can and thanks for the ideas.

Barry

domzilla9
09-15-2007, 18:26
I guess Buds et al run the business with so little margins that no one can really afford to do it here. He really must turn a lot of guns over to make ends meet plus no new business with new overhead etc can afford to do that.

Barry, I hate to be the bearer of harsh reality, but you need it. The reasons that Bud's, Whitaker's, Keisler's and Tilford's can sell guns at the prices that they do AND make money and AND "eat your lunch 7/365" on firearms sales are:

1) Their overhead is a fraction of yours
2) They buy wholesale in a volume that is exponentially larger than your buy volume
3) They have long established relationships with wholesale distributors, and least two of them ARE wholesale distributors or are OWNED by wholesale distributors.
4) Experience: compared to them, you just started retailing guns this morning.

I am not trying to run you down. I honestly wish the best in all of your endeavors. You have a excellent range.

moreammoplz
09-15-2007, 19:16
1) Their overhead is a fraction of yours

You hit the nail on the head here Dom. Both Whittakers and Buds are in the middle of no where.

Openrange is in the high rent district a.k.a. Oldham County.

As for used guns, I hope you work your way into it. If a guy / gal can't get rid of something old, they can't buy something new. :)

Atom Ant
09-15-2007, 19:50
It's really number 1 and 4. Your overhead has to be higher than theirs. You do have a nice place but you also expect quite a bit more for it's use. As far as experience goes they have alot more. The last two times I was in there ( and probably the last ) there was some high school aged kids working the counter who couldn't answer basic questions about your place.

SmithShooter
09-16-2007, 19:21
I went to Shooter's Supply today.

Skip (the AR guy) is a joy to talk to and I ended up buying 360 rounds of 5.56 ammo. Honestly, the price wasnt so great ($139 after tax) but it was well worth it for the good advice this guy can give.

Some of the guys that work there honestly have no buisiness working in retail of any kind, let alone guns. Some of the guys there really know their stuff AND are willing to help a guy with good advice.

IF you can seperate the good salesmen from the bad, it is worth buying the occasional item there just for the great customer service that can be gotten, if you keep your wits about you.

Its not the greatest shopping experience ive ever had at a gun store but they have the best selection and the most knowledgable guys (hidden gems though they may be) in the immediate area.

If they could just get their prices under control and weed out certain...elements...Shooters would be a great place to shop.

meausoc
09-17-2007, 08:37
Barry,
You do indeed have a very nice range facility at Openrage. I appreciate your rifle range where I do not have to wait for a cease fire to go check my target like Knob Creek. As for customer service I would say it is excellent, not too pushy just friendly. Your prices while maybe a tad on the high side I would still purchase from you rather than drive to Owensboro for Whittaker's.
Fellow Glockers here is how I rate the following gun stores in the KY area:
Openrange-Great and getting better just watch your prices.
Whittakers-Jabba the Hut w/3%extra for credit card, nice selection.
Tilford's-As mentioned above you take 10 years off your life due to second hand smoke in there.
Shooter's and Kiesler's higher than hell unless you are LEO and then they kiss your ass. I am LEO but do not tell Shooter's because of the way they treat their customers.
Oakwood-friendly service, little selection
Bud's-Friendly service with the selection if you want to drive.
Ace's in Hawesville, KY-friendly with a good selection plus Tom Knapp has a shoot there sometimes.

domzilla9
09-17-2007, 09:19
If Shooter's Supply does have one good salesperson, it's Skip. And by all accounts he really knows his AR Service Rifle. Handguns, not so much. The rest of them, with possible exception of Al or Lewis, are pretty much useless, especially Bob. But I'm sure that if Shooter Supply had better prices, few of us would find cause to complain about the staff.

You have to give props to a gunshop that stocks reloading supplies and knows something about how to use them. Tilfords has good prices on Alliant Powders and usually has Lee Dies in stock. However, the place reeks of smoke. Firearms Service on Bardstown road seems to stocking more reloading stuff lately.

If you want to laugh at some quality Gun Shop Commando BS, just ask Shooter Supply's staff about reloading some time. Or better yet, ask Bob at Shooters Supply. Really, it's a scream.

I am surprised that retail gun shops get away with charging a surcharge for credit cards. Not only is it illegal, but most card processors will close your account if they find out you're doing it.

Berretta9
09-17-2007, 14:35
I can't believe that some of us are complaining about Tilfords smelling like smoke when all of us shoot indoors and smile while we breathe that. I'm not a smoker but I don't care if I'm around it. Thats just me.

B+Shooter
09-17-2007, 21:16
Originally posted by openrange
I'm surpised to hear no one mention Openrange. We may not be the lowest priced but we are fair and certainly stand by our customer service.

Openrange carries less inventory and therefore we deal with lots of special orders. We know up front that this isn't going to make us money but our mission is to build our customer base and keep a happy customer. So far we've been successful.

Don't be too brutal on Shooters. They have served the shooting community for many years here in Louisville area. Yes we are their competition but we need a strong community purchasing from our local stores to keep our sport and our businesses thriving. Tilford and Buds have awesome prices yet you are taking money out of the local community. Without strong local firearm businesses our sport will shrivel and die here in Louisville.

Openrange has provided a world class indoor range with a fairly priced retail store to support our sport. Let us know what you think of us and if there is any way we can improve. No we cant meet buds or tilfords prices but we offer other amenities here(free range time etc).

Capitalism! It's one of the American freedoms we've fought and bled for.

As far as Skip at Shooter's is concerned, he knows everything about ONE THING. If you ask him any question outside of Black Rifles/Competition shooting, you will get some freaky answers. I wouldn't take any advice from him on anything that I would be using to defend myself with. Last time I checked nobody was mugged by a NRA 600 yd target.

Nobody mentioned finding some decent deals with Kenny at Knob Creek! It's not a gun botique, but you can find some gems now and again.