UFC 75: Champion vs. Champion *FREE on SpikeTV* [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : UFC 75: Champion vs. Champion *FREE on SpikeTV*

gr81disp
08-22-2007, 22:44
Dark Matches*

Antony "The Crush" Torres (5W-1L) v. Jess "The Joker" Liaudin (11W-8L)
Never heard of these guys, but Torres looks like a pretty boy so I hope he loses. We need tough looking fighters, not Abercrombie models.

Marcus "The Irish Hand Grenade" Davis (17W-4L)v. "Relentless" Paul Taylor (8W-1L-1D)
I pick Davis as he is pretty good and exciting. Never heard of Taylor, but 8-1-1 is a damn fine record. Looks to be exciting.

Tomasz "Travolta" Drwal (14W-1L) v. Thiago "The Pitbull" Silva (10W-0L)
Silva SHOULD walk through Drwal, having proven himself in the Octagon, but 14-1 would make me a little nervous if I was the pitbull.

Undercard

Houston "The Assassin" Alexander (7W-1L) v. Alessio "Legionnarius" Sakara (15W-5L-1D)
Alexander is looking to prove that his destruction of Keith Jardine was no fluke but Sakara is a bad choice for that. Although Sakara is arguably a step down in competition, his style is the kind to give Alexander fits. Jardine is well-rounded but his standup is like a brawler, like Alexander, so he relies on his chin to get him through fights and Alexander just hit too hard. Sakara on the other hand should be a tougher test, being a former professional boxer he should be harder to land on. This will show if Alexander is a possible prospect or a flash in the pan.

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic (22W-5L-2D) v. Cheick Kongo (20W-3L-1D)
When I heard about this fight, I had to go change my pants. Two of the best strikers going toe-to-toe? This is a gift wrapped inside of a bigger, better gift. No matter who wins (and if it stays standing, it could very well be Kongo) the true winners are the fans. I pick Cro Cop by GnP. CC has the better ground game and will go this route if he is smart, but if he lets his pride get the better of him, it could cost him dearly.

Matt "The Hammer" Hammill (5W-0L) v. Michael "The Count" Bisping (14W-0L)
This will either be interesting or boring and truthfully, I don't care who wins. Hammill shows talent, but he has proven to be a boring, grinding wrestler with limited GnP, standup and submissions. Bisping has shown flashes of brilliance but was less than impressive in his last showing when he was almost KOed then almost choked out by Elvis Sinosic, who is 8W-10L, a sub-.500 record. This is a waste of a fight but at least they don't like each other (Bisping made of fun of the deaf Hammill behind his back on the second season of The Ultimate Fighter). I will just say Hammill because Bisping is an ass.

and FINALLY

MAIN EVENT

UFC Light-Heavyweight Chamionship AND PRIDE Middleweight Championship Title Fight

FIRST EVER UFC AND PRIDE TITLE UNIFICATION FIGHT

UFC LIGHT-HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (27 Wins - 6 Losses - 0 Draws)

VS.

PRIDE MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPION and PRIDE WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPION**
"Dangerous" Dan Henderson (22 Wins - 5 Losses - 0 Draws)

What can I say about this fight? The man who KOed the unstoppable Chuck Liddell vs. the man who KOed the unstoppable Wanderlei Silva. I don't know who to root for but this is gonna be good.

*These fights may not be shown as nobody really cares who wins and they will probably not be entertaining.
**If Henderson loses, he will still be Welterweight champion. The winner will be both PRIDE Middleweight and UFC Light-Heavyweight champion.

Islander-11
08-23-2007, 05:36
That's a great card - can't wait!

Great analysis, btw. Thanks.

gr81disp
08-27-2007, 22:32
Ok, we are less than two weeks away from UFC 75. Anyone wanna make predictions?

K-DOG
08-29-2007, 23:59
So the pride middle weight is belt up but not the UFC LHW ?

gr81disp
08-30-2007, 01:46
Sorry, I meant the PRIDE Middleweight belt is the only one of Dan Henderson's belts up for grab. The winner will be both the PRIDE Middleweight champion and the UFC Light-Heavyweight champion.

walangkatapat
08-30-2007, 15:18
The price is right.:)

ArodJohns
08-30-2007, 20:23
Antony Torres v. Jess Liaudin
I'm going with Torres on this one.

Marcus Davis v. Paul Taylor
I'm undecided, but I'm leaning towards Davis.

Tomasz Drwal v. Thiago Silva
Another no name fight. I say it doesn't matter on this one haha

Houston Alexander v. Alessio Sakara
After Alexander's nasty KO, I'd say he's on a roll. I'm going with him on this one, even though Sakara is a boxer.

Mirko Filipovic v. Cheick Kongo
Cro Cop. Just like Randy, the minute you bet against him you'll get shown up.

Matt Hammill v. Michael Bisping
Hammill on this one.

Quinton Jackson v. Dan Henderson
This fight I'm not saying one way or the other. I like both guys and I think both of them are world class fighters. I wish the best of luck to both of them and hopefully we'll be in for a great fight.

K-DOG
08-31-2007, 00:03
Naoyuki Kotani Vs. Dennis Siver: Siver

Antony Torres v. Jess Liaudin: Liaudin

Gleison Tibau Vs. Terry Etim :Tibau

Marcus Davis v. Paul Taylor: Davis

Tomasz Drwal v. Thiago Silva: Silva, Aside from the main event this one could be the fight of the night. Silva 10-0 and Drwal is 14-1 and both are aggressive fighters.

Houston Alexander v. Alessio Sakara: Alexander, This will be good test to see if he is the real deal.

Mirko Filipovic v. Cheick Kongo: Cro Cop

Matt Hamill v. Michael Bisping: Bisping, Hamill will not be able to lay and pray on Bisping and his striking sucks. Bisping will win by KO or TKO

Quinton Jackson v. Dan Henderson: Henderson, He put Wanderlei down so I expect the same outcome on this fight.

TRMN8R
09-06-2007, 09:07
Sorry I'm late to the party boys, but here's mine:

1. Torres v. Liaudin: Torres
2. Kotani v. Siver: Kotani
3. Drwal v. Silva: Silva
4. Tibau v. Etim: Tibau
5. Alexander v. Sakara: Sakara
6. Davis v. Taylor: Davis
7. Cro Cop v. Kongo: Cro Cop
8. Hamill v. Bisping: Bisping
9. Jackson v. Henderson: Henderson

Sorry, no time for detailed fight break-downs this time, but I will say that the drama between Hamill and Bisping makes for a good fight (I guess). But as stated, unless Hamill's drastically improved (uhm, I mean "added") some major stand up, this one-diminsional cat will probably get pounded so hard by Bisping he'll look even worse than Josh Haynes did :upeyes:.

Islander-11
09-08-2007, 22:23
Hamill got robbed. I'm bummed out about that decision.

walangkatapat
09-08-2007, 22:38
Hamill won round one easily, round two could have went either way, round three went to Bisping. The judge that scored 30-27 for Hamill wasn't watching the fight.

ksglocker
09-09-2007, 07:22
Originally posted by walangkatapat
Hamill won round one easily, round two could have went either way, round three went to Bisping. The judge that scored 30-27 for Hamill wasn't watching the fight.

Sorry, but round 2 was Matt Hamill also. 29-28 Hamill at least. I see round 3 going either way, probably Bisping, but rounds 1 and 2 were Hamill fo sho. Even a few Brit fans were booing that crapola decision, and I think the judge who scored 30-27 was paying better attention than the other 2. Hamill might have won round 3 if he'd not gased.

walangkatapat
09-09-2007, 09:06
Originally posted by ksglocker
Sorry, but round 2 was Matt Hamill also. 29-28 Hamill at least. I see round 3 going either way, probably Bisping, but rounds 1 and 2 were Hamill fo sho. Even a few Brit fans were booing that crapola decision, and I think the judge who scored 30-27 was paying better attention than the other 2. Hamill might have won round 3 if he'd not gased.

Like I said before round two either way, round three Bisping all the way. Anyone who thought Hamill won all rounds wasn't watching the fight.

K-DOG
09-09-2007, 10:35
Hamill should have got the split.

ArodJohns
09-09-2007, 11:31
Originally posted by K-DOG
Hamill should have got the split.

Just watch, in the next few months they'll make a hero out of Hamill.

When they start rolling people in in wheel chairs, I'll stop watching. :rofl:

ltgibson2001
09-09-2007, 12:45
Originally posted by ArodJohns
Just watch, in the next few months they'll make a hero out of Hamill.

I believe that. Some people think that the UFC fixes fight and that decision lends to that argument. But then again when you have Boxing Judges like Cecil Peoples Judging MMA fights anything can happen.Cecil does have a Karate and Kickboxing background but he is a notoriously horrible Judge. There needs to be a certification or grading system for Judges like there are for officials in the NFL, NBA, and MLB. Funny though...the lone UK Judge gave Hamill all three rounds.

Funniest line of the night. "I GOTS JIUJITSU!!" : Rampage Jackson

ArodJohns
09-09-2007, 19:33
Originally posted by ltgibson2001
I believe that. Some people think that the UFC fixes fight and that decision lends to that argument. But then again when you have Boxing Judges like Cecil Peoples Judging MMA fights anything can happen.Cecil does have a Karate and Kickboxing background but he is a notoriously horrible Judge. There needs to be a certification or grading system for Judges like there are for officials in the NFL, NBA, and MLB. Funny though...the lone UK Judge gave Hamill all three rounds.

Funniest line of the night. "I GOTS JIUJITSU!!" : Rampage Jackson

I don't think the UFC fixes too many fights, the fighters get too beat up and there's too much odd stuff that happens in the fights. As for Cecil Peoples, he's horrible. I'm ashamed that he's judging the fights. I saw him ref a fight one time and though "Oh God, every time it goes to the mat they're going to get stood back up." But IIRC he didn't do too bad being a ref, apparently it's just judging he can't do right. The guy who's on top is not always the winner lol.

Rampage is funny now, but if you watch the old PRIDE DVD's where he would cuss and just generally be obscene he was hilarious.

gr81disp
09-09-2007, 19:43
Originally posted by ArodJohns
But IIRC he didn't do too bad being a ref, apparently it's just judging he can't do right.

Watch the Nate Quarry v. Pete Sell match. That was HORRIBLE officiating. Sell gets knocked on his ass and Peoples stops the fight before either fighter can do anything, attack or defend.

When the scores was being announced, I heard one give it Bisping and one give it to Hammill. I was shocked ANYONE thought Bisping won that fight, but I figured the third judge would see it right. Then Bruce Buffer said, "Judge three Cecil Peoples..." and before he could even say what the score was, I said, "Hammill lost." Peoples is the same judge who gave all three rounds in Tito v. Forrest to Tito. Tito may have won (I still think Forrest did enough to take it) but round two was all Forrest.

K-DOG
09-09-2007, 22:54
Then Bruce Buffer said, "Judge three Cecil Peoples..." and before he could even say what the score was

Funny.. I thought the same thing.