CCW allowed for hunting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW allowed for hunting

mudfootball
08-23-2007, 06:06
Can anyone elaborate on the new law, not that it hasnt been happening for years, but is it now legal for me to take my glock to the woods while say bowhunting? it never was but the hunting regs now say, permit holders can hunt and spotlight while in possession of guns legal for the permit.
sounds like a go to me.
pretty psyched, im not a law braker but i was never comfortable with out it. being of small stature and only holding a bow, i hate meeting another flashlight at 4 AM a mile from a road \
kt

Steve in PA
08-23-2007, 10:00
Yes, if you have a CCW, you can carry a handgun (the kind normally associated with self-defense) while hunting (including archery) and spot lighting. You can NOT use the handgun to put down the animal. Its sole purpose is for self-defense.

During regular "gun" season you can use a handgun to put down an animal as long as the handgun could normally be used in that season. In other words, you can't use a semi-auto to put down an animal since it is an illegal weapon for hunting purposes. If you are carrying a revolver, you could use that to take or put the animal down.

Jeep274
08-23-2007, 11:02
Any links to the new law? This is the first I have heard of this great news.:thumbsup:

Steve in PA
08-23-2007, 16:14
PA Game Commission

Title 34

Sec. 2525. Possession of firearm for protection of self or others.

(a) General rule.- It is lawful for a law enforcement officer or any person who possesses a valid license to carry a firearm issued under 18 Pa C.S. Section 6109 (relating to licenses) to be in possession of a loaded or unloaded firearm while engaged in any activity regulated by this title.

(b) Construction.

(1) This section shall supersede any prohibition on the possession of firearms or ammunition contained in any other provision of this title.

(2) This subsection shall not be construed to permit the hunting or harvesting of any wildlife with a firearm or ammunition not otherwise permitted by this title.

(c) Definitions. - As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Firearm." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. 6102 (relating to definitions).

"Law enforcement officer." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. 6102 (relating to definitions).

Clarkbar
08-23-2007, 21:41
Great news! I haven't hunted in PA since 1999 or 2000, but I am sure glad to hear that CCW while Hunting is now legal!

I actually bought my S&W 610 just so that I could carry a legal handgun while hunting!!

Jeep274
08-24-2007, 07:47
Thanks Steve.:thumbsup: