Knife carry in Kentucky... Spydero Delica [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Knife carry in Kentucky... Spydero Delica

GNut76
08-24-2007, 15:07
Is it ok to carry a delica in KY without liscence?? I plan on getting my carry permit but don't have one yet. Any KY LEOs or Kentucky owners please chime in.:supergrin:

wprebeck
08-25-2007, 13:14
If it's an auto-opener, no carry without a permit.

The statute is vague enough, though. It specifies "other than an ordinary pocket knife" when speaking about probhibited knives. If it's an assisted opener, you should be OK.

GNut76
08-26-2007, 10:56
The delica is a standard lockback capable of one hand opening with a blade of less than three inches. I think it's kosher, but the kentucky statute is very vague. I guess it's left up officer's call. Most cops I've had contact with are good people. I've also got a mini Manix on order.

wprebeck
08-26-2007, 16:10
There's no blade length specified in the statute, so that doesn't matter all that much...although a 10 inch folder might not meet the "ordinary" wording.

Sounds like an assisted opener, which to my knowledge, is perfectly OK. There's a lot of discretion as to what could be considered "ordinary", so yeah, the officer's decision could be the end all/be all.

But, you shouldn't have a problem. I say that, because one knife clip inside a pocket looks pretty much identical to the next knife clip in a pocket. If you have a negative encounter with LE types, and get frisked, then you "might" have to worry, but you're probably gonna be in more trouble that a mere misdemeanor charge at that point anyway.

While not a street officer, I can't for the life of me, find any real reason to charge you for CCW by carrying that knife. Of course, I'd tell a non-permit holder* who's carrying to either carry it openly, or put it up, instead of arresting them. I'm just that kinda guy...:supergrin:

* qualification to that statement:

Assuming the non-permit holder isn't a thug-type, or a drunken idiot who's running his mouth, etc.

B+Shooter
08-26-2007, 20:35
Simple enough,

A Delica is fine, the Endura is large enough to make police question "why?".

The Delica is a great size knife that's dependable and useful.

:thumbsup:

Houngan
08-27-2007, 12:17
Meh, I carried the police model for over a decade without a peep, but that's just anecdotal evidence.

H.