Newbie at two years [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie at two years

J.R. Bob Dobbs
08-24-2007, 16:39
Well it's been just over two years since I got my first bike. First was a 250 Rebel, then a 750 Nighthawk, now an 1100 ZRX. Kept the first two for about 6mo each, had the Rex for a year. Man I love bikes and ride whenever the weather is decent. Have almost forgotten the gun hobby.

With 21k miles total seat time, the first incident came today, when my battery died at the Liquor Store :supergrin: .

There was a Walmart in the same shopping center and they had the correct battery. I had coasted the bike to a shady spot outside a tire store while attempting to bump-start it (nix). One of their techs talked bikes with me while I replaced the battery. A little sweaty (wearing full gear as always) but was on the road again in about 45min.

DaisyCutter
08-24-2007, 18:29
I've never tried bumpstarting anything over 500ccs. I reckon that it may be possible with the old school carbed ZRXs we love, but you'd need a hill and a big set of ballz.

Glad she was an easy fix. Wadya get at the liquor store?

Razoreye
08-24-2007, 20:27
Originally posted by DaisyCutter
I've never tried bumpstarting anything over 500ccs. I reckon that it may be possible with the old school carbed ZRXs we love, but you'd need a hill and a big set of ballz.

Glad she was an easy fix. Wadya get at the liquor store? All she needed was a little Bacardi 151 or Everclear 190 in the tank. :supergrin: :rofl:

hank327
08-26-2007, 16:03
Originally posted by DaisyCutter

Glad she was an easy fix. Wadya get at the liquor store?

The Rex is very easy to bump start if you put it in 2nd gear.
I had to do this a couple of weeks ago when my starter button went bad. I put it in second gear, adjusted the choke, pushed her to just over walking speed, let out the clutch and she fired right up! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't want to try it in 1st gear though.

CBRGlocker
08-31-2007, 09:38
I want to commend you for starting small with the Rebel and working your way up. You also wear your gear which is rarely seen these days. I saw someone in college low side and used their unprotected hand to break the fall. Not only was his wrist broken, all the skin got peeled to the bone.

As my name implies, my last bike was a Honda CBR. Over the years I've put thousands of miles on bikes and fortunately never dropped the bike nor crashed. I've given up riding due to an ever growing family but again, just wanted to comment on your approach to the sport.

Safe riding.